Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No, he didn't. It was around £7m plus add-ons. It's a lot of money, it doesn't need exaggerating.

With the number of signings Everton are making at all levels it's becoming obvious they're stockpiling young players Chelsea style. Kids are starting to see through it and look to go to clubs that will actually play them. I doubt DCL will get much more game time unless he steps up, likewise Lookman. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going out on loan at some point.
Soccerbase says 10 million ner ner n ner ner .

I think it's an interesting topic. He clearly has a touch of class about him that needs nurturing. I don't know for certain but get the impression that he's a down to earth lad and what we could ideally do with happening is Billy, Wilder, Wright and a few others being a mentor to the lad and showing him that he's in a fine place to learn. After all, he's knocking on the door of a first team place in as exciting as Sheffield United side as there's been for years. He has the chance to play regularly in a cracking stadium with fans that are still buzzing after last year, with the pride of a Blade in charge and a Blade as the captain, the fans are delighted to be back at this level - its a positive and likely to be as patient a club as to learn his trade next season. We have to hope he'll buy in to that. Admittedly, it would be easy for an Everton to snap him up on a deal that's loads per week for him but peanuts per week for them and to just loan him back out to this level, but there's no guarantee he'd come back to a squad as vibrant as this one.

If he were to move on, we've every right to demand an astronomical fee. As has been said already, Charlton did for Lookman and look at the money Southampton held on to for Oxlade-Chamberlain all those years ago, then Shaw, then Chambers etc.

All in all here's hoping we tie him down to a good deal and he sticks around to benefit from what we're building here.

Someone randomly asked how his defensive play was the other day, he did a great tracking back challenge towards the end as well which I also added to my fan boy note book.

I appreciate that comment didn't come from you, but a player like Brooks shouldn't be anywhere near anyone's defence but the oppositions.

The kid appears to have pace to burn, his control seems excellent and the way he shoots is controlled in a way I have not seen in a long time. - he doesn't just blast it.

A player like Brooks should be relieved of any defensive responsibilities - it would be a complete waste of a talent. The game after all is about scoring goals.

UTB

Apologies if already shared but saw this email on Gary Sinclair's Facebook earlier, lovely stuff:

Well Blades, the feel good factor shows no sign of receding, our great leader has made some fabulous signings, the club have invested in new technology that will enhance match days enjoyment (new screens, improved audio) the pitch just keeps getting better (& narrower - or are my eyes playing trick), the beer is now better, .............. AND ..........

We have unearthed the greatest prospect in a generation who will excite, delight, and put bums on seats with his magical touch, he will become an inspiration to young players everywhere and one dayspecial.
England Great

Ladies & Gentlemen .... I give you
DAVID BROOKS
This kid is something very special.

Well said!

I have been watching Blades for 50 years and although I am an eternal optimist I feel that this is the most exciting time since 1971. I think we will thrive in the Championship. We must hold on to David Brooks this season. Let's see how far we can go. If we are mid table at the end of the season then be prepared for him to be snapped up by a Premiership club. Dare to dream and we could be in the Prem this time next year with the most exciting player I have seen since TC. COYRAWW

the most exciting player I have seen since TC.

There are very few I believe on here who saw TC when he came as a youngster from Watford.

The word "exciting" is the probably the best word to use about Brooks.

Seen a few other exciting players, but not with the potential this kid appears to have.

All I ask United is that if/when he is sold it benefits us and not the purchaser - it would be great to see these sort of cameo appearances in the coming months and hopefully longer.

My gut instinct is United will resist all attempts (if they come) and will keep him - so sit back and enjoy :)

UTB

There are very few I believe on here who saw TC when he came as a youngster from Watford.

Seen a few other exciting players, but not with the potential this kid appears to have.

All I ask United is that if/when he is sold it benefits us and not the purchaser - it would be great to see these sort of cameo appearances in the coming months and hopefully longer.

My gut instinct is United will resist all attempts (if they come) and will keep him - so sit back and enjoy :)

UTB

Agreed .

Unless an absolutely ludicrous offer does come in Brooks will be staying .

Let's see if the lad can fulfil his potential here .

** I say ' lad ' but he's 20 years old . Time to kick on Brookseh or get kicked out .

He could be the difference between mid-table and top 6. That's how valuable he is to us. McCabe needs to think about that when someone tries to tempt him with a few million. What price do we put on promotion to the Prem? What price would Brooks be worth in the Prem? If I was a money-grabbing, businessman, with only my own financial interests at heart, I'd definitely not be selling him yet for a couple of years. Because his value is likely to go through the roof soon, especially if he has a good season in our first team and gets a full England call up.

He could be the difference between mid-table and top 6. That's how valuable he is to us. McCabe needs to think about that when someone tries to tempt him with a few million. What price do we put on promotion to the Prem? What price would Brooks be worth in the Prem? If I was a money-grabbing, businessman, with only my own financial interests at heart, I'd definitely not be selling him yet for a couple of years. Because his value is likely to go through the roof soon, especially if he has a good season in our first team and gets a full England call up.

If you were a money grabbing businessman with only your own interest at heart you wouldn't have been financing a multi million pound loss making venture for the last decade . And if by some small chance you were , you'd be flogging anything and everything to balance the books .

UTB
Totally agree. I've been watching the blades for nearly 40 years. We've all seen a few youngsters come through the ranks over the years but not many have made it once they've joined a big premiership team!!. Obviously apart from both kyles and D C Lewin. We need to keep hold of brooks for as long as possible and watch him develop into an even better player. His reading of the game at his age is something else!!. IMO Let's sit back and enjoy his talent whilst he's still playing at bdtbl and hopefully in a few years he's still scoring goals for the blades in the premiership?. I M O. Utb

No, he didn't. It was around £7m plus add-ons. It's a lot of money, it doesn't need exaggerating.

With the number of signings Everton are making at all levels it's becoming obvious they're stockpiling young players Chelsea style. Kids are starting to see through it and look to go to clubs that will actually play them. I doubt DCL will get much more game time unless he steps up, likewise Lookman. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going out on loan at some point.

Eventually football will realise how good DCL is(n't). He wouldn't make our team at the moment and looks a conplete fish out of water in the Premier League.

Eventually football will realise how good DCL is(n't). He wouldn't make our team at the moment and looks a conplete fish out of water in the Premier League.
Apparently he had a fantastic season at u23s but he doesn't seem to be able to transfer that form to senior football. Some players can't.

CW had him at Northampton and loan wand was happy to take a £1m for him. Speaks volumes.

I took the view last season that Koeman was making a point to their board; 'look, the cupboard is so threadbare I'm having to start with the kids'. The Merseyside derby was a disgrace and Evertonians must still be fuming how their weak side rolled over to a not-much-better Liverpool team.

The concern is that the club will see a few million and what we can do with it in the short term, and take their eye off the ball long term.
Temptation will be there, and I'm hoping the lad will ignore the mega money for now just to ensure he gets games. He will expecting game time, he has probably earned a chance from his summer achievements. So as long as Wilder can keep him excited about the club, and find a way to reward him fairly financially we have a chance.

Perhaps we should set him a target. New contract with a salary made up to offer him the monetary reward on appearances, and goes up a lot yearly.
Example.
5yr contract.
Year one- 1k a week basic. 5k appearance fee. Once he makes 20 starts, basic up to £2k a week.
Year 2- if not already on 2k a week, make that basic. If he made the 20 starts make the basic 3k. Appearance fee remains. If he makes 50 starts during second year he gets an automatic pay rise in line with the rest of the squad.
Year 3- still here? Still starting? Reward his loyalty...hopefully we will be at least a strong champ side. By now he could be a seriously major player. The figure therefore cannot be quantified, but if he's now a main player and how I suspect he will be, we could be talking 15k a week minimum.
I realise that is a lot of money, but at this stage we would still have 3 years left on his contract, so would have a good control of his future fee to leave. I also realise a premier league side could chuck £15k a week at him from the off.
But while Wilder is here we stand a chance of keeping him for a year or two

CW had him at Northampton and loan wand was happy to take a £1m for him. Speaks volumes.

I took the view last season that Koeman was making a point to their board; 'look, the cupboard is so threadbare I'm having to start with the kids'. The Merseyside derby was a disgrace and Evertonians must still be fuming how their weak side rolled over to a not-much-better Liverpool team.

I think in DCLs case, training with quality international players daily has helped take him to the next level. This seems to be a rare case of a YOUNG Blade moving on to better his career. Other than DCL, Jagielka and Walker, have any others ended up better off? You could say that Naughton has played in the premier league since, but if he had given us another 12 months, he 'may' have got better and then ended up signing for a team that actually played him.

But for all these Naughton's, Walker's and Calvert-Lewins, you have double the amount of Jordan Slew's and Jacob Mellis' that jump too early.

I think in DCLs case, training with quality international players daily has helped take him to the next level. This seems to be a rare case of a YOUNG Blade moving on to better his career. Other than DCL, Jagielka and Walker, have any others ended up better off? You could say that Naughton has played in the premier league since, but if he had given us another 12 months, he 'may' have got better and then ended up signing for a team that actually played him.

But for all these Naughton's, Walker's and Calvert-Lewins, you have double the amount of Jordan Slew's and Jacob Mellis' that jump too early.
Fat Harry's done alright.

Matt Lowton is better off. And it's daft to say Naughton isn't. He's made 150 PL appearances and is first choice at Swansea. Plus he played nearly 50 championship games in teams doing better than we were at the time.

We've sold 8 youth teamers for a million plus in the last 10 years. It's gone well for Harry, the 2 Kyles and Lowton. Too early to tell for Ramsdale and DCL. Slew and Mellis didn't work out (though Mellis has played at a higher level than United at various times since his sale). So it seems that the number of moves that worked for the player is double the moves that didn't.

The deals where we really robbed teams were the Quinn/Woodhouse/Morris deals from 1999 to 2002. None of them did anything meaningful after they were sold, and we pocketed a fortune (and Peter Ndlovu). Now that is good business.

Perhaps the lesson is that we are good at nurturing talent that will do well in the PL, so we should be reluctant sellers.

Just want to say it again, Kyle Naughton's career would've been even better had he not converted to left back, did it for us as Walker came through on the right but after that it seemed to be set in stone.

Just want to say it again, Kyle Naughton's career would've been even better had he not converted to left back, did it for us as Walker came through on the right but after that it seemed to be set in stone.
I'm pretty sure he was playing right back when I saw him playing for Spurs at WHL against Arsenal in the league cup.

Matt Lowton is better off. And it's daft to say Naughton isn't. He's made 150 PL appearances and is first choice at Swansea. Plus he played nearly 50 championship games in teams doing better than we were at the time.

We've sold 8 youth teamers for a million plus in the last 10 years. It's gone well for Harry, the 2 Kyles and Lowton. Too early to tell for Ramsdale and DCL. Slew and Mellis didn't work out (though Mellis has played at a higher level than United at various times since his sale). So it seems that the number of moves that worked for the player is double the moves that didn't.

The deals where we really robbed teams were the Quinn/Woodhouse/Morris deals from 1999 to 2002. None of them did anything meaningful after they were sold, and we pocketed a fortune (and Peter Ndlovu). Now that is good business.

Perhaps the lesson is that we are good at nurturing talent that will do well in the PL, so we should be reluctant sellers.
A small point of order. We didn't sell Mellis for £1m. He was poached by Chelsea and the compensation was £400k, rising to £1m depending on how successful he was for them.

I know I'm beginning to sound like a bit of a fan boy but until the goal that was one of his less impressive run outs that I've seen.
He was nudged of the ball a couple of times which lead the bloke at the side of me to say "ugh he's a bit lightweight" which obviously infuriated me.
He then seemed to drift out wide which worried me because I was just hoping that Wilder hadn't put him out there just to incorporate him in the side because like a Walcott I really don't see him as a winger, plus there seemed to be so much room behind Stokes defence to run into if he just skipped past their big thug Shawcross.
Everything he does is so positive and brave though, so he still did so great little touches and obviously the goal topped it off.

Someone randomly asked how his defensive play was the other day, he did a great tracking back challenge towards the end as well which I also added to my fan boy note book.

It was a great tackle and he certainly wasn’t scared to run at defenders. Everything about his demeanour suggests he’s absolutely desperate to make the grade and seize his opportunity which is really promising. It’s the first decent look I’ve had at him and I was impressed. I agree about him getting knocked off the ball and looking a little lightweight at times but in his defence, he was up against the likes of Pieters, Shawcross etc. If he fills out and develops a bit more upper body strength (not unexpected given his age), I get the impression he could be a real player. I hope he doesn’t have that fearlessness coached out of him. I don’t think he will with our coaching staff.

A small point of order. We didn't sell Mellis for £1m. He was poached by Chelsea and the compensation was £400k, rising to £1m depending on how successful he was for them.

Noted.

So that's 7 million pounders. 4 good moves, 1 bad move, 2 too early to tell.

Everton buying DCL was a strange one,i am convinced they bought an 'athlete' and they think they can make him a 'footballer',i think this is the wrong way around.

It was a great tackle and he certainly wasn’t scared to run at defenders. Everything about his demeanour suggests he’s absolutely desperate to make the grade and seize his opportunity which is really promising. It’s the first decent look I’ve had at him and I was impressed. I agree about him getting knocked off the ball and looking a little lightweight at times but in his defence, he was up against the likes of Pieters, Shawcross etc. If he fills out and develops a bit more upper body strength (not unexpected given his age), I get the impression he could be a real player. I hope he doesn’t have that fearlessness coached out of him. I don’t think he will with our coaching staff.
I couldn't agree more.
I'm all for being a team player and chipping in but it's great seeing a young, enthusiastic, talented young player play with such exuberance and fearlessness.
I have to admit that I still of a soft spot for Duffy because he's so positive and brave(in the sense that he never hides and always tries the difficult balls) and seems to still love playing the game.
So it might not be Brooks age and lack of experience that makes him such a breath of fresh air, he could just be the next T.C.

Everton buying DCL was a strange one,i am convinced they bought an 'athlete' and they think they can make him a 'footballer',i think this is the wrong way around.

I am frequently outraged about our player sale policy but I wasn't bothered about DCL going, and I'm still not. I don't think he will cut it in the PL the long term. Plus the money was well used (for a change) so it was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom