Centre Half

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wigan are a joke club. If we can't do better than them KM and the Prince should just pack it in.

Of course we will. There is no prospect of us being in a relegation struggle even if we make no further additions. The players we have are too good for that, unless of course you have Bladey Inferiority Complex. There is at least one such sufferer in this debate...

Basham is not good enough to play centre half at this level. He had a few good months towards the end of last season, but he is too error prone. This will be punished more at a higher level. He also likes a ridiculous, rash tackle, and against forwards with quicker feet and better technique he will pick up bookings and give away dangerous free kicks and penalties. Not to mention he will get caught out of position when he gets tackled carrying the ball forward.

He's also terrible in midfield, so hopefully he won't play there.

Once we get a couple of replacements signed, he is one I would sell.

Basham was the best player in league one in 2017 bar no one. He's more than earned his chance at this level.

Basham is not good enough to play centre half at this level. He had a few good months towards the end of last season, but he is too error prone. This will be punished more at a higher level. He also likes a ridiculous, rash tackle, and against forwards with quicker feet and better technique he will pick up bookings and give away dangerous free kicks and penalties. Not to mention he will get caught out of position when he gets tackled carrying the ball forward.

A Basham basher !I get the idea you don't like a player that gives it 100% + every match ,he is one of the first names on the team sheet and will be this season.
Towards the end of Adkins reign he was one of a few who kept going he doasnt know any other way than to give everything for the team,he is one to be admired he will have a big part to play this season in my opinion.

Eh.... I thought Basham was superb this season and as for not playing at a higher level.... go back and watch his performances against Spurs in League Cup and tell me again if he can't deal with players at a higher level.

If anything I think he'll be better at a higher level where he's going to come up against quicker more technical players because he seems to have a turn of pace and is a very good tackler.

So does Tufty. That's exactly the type of player he wanted to bring in last year but couldn't get. He hasn't changed his mind. A big, dominant, leader will be joining us. I don't know who, but Brayford won't be playing centre-back.

I'd like us to keep Brayford. If we do end up selling him I hope it's not to Burton

Of course we will. There is no prospect of us being in a relegation struggle even if we make no further additions. The players we have are too good for that, unless of course you have Bladey Inferiority Complex. There is at least one such sufferer in this debate...
No, I think we'll be fine. I'm just a little concerned by the apparent impatience of some people, that 'we might do back to back' may become 'we should do back to back'. It's not easy building a team that plays good football and it can take time.

As another poster wrote, the journey can be more enjoyable than the destination, and if getting out of the championship becomes the sole objective, good football can be sacrificed for a quick fix. I'd prefer us to build at a natural pace, not try to force it, and if that takes three years, or even five years, so be it.

Eh.... I thought Basham was superb this season and as for not playing at a higher level.... go back and watch his performances against Spurs in League Cup and tell me again if he can't deal with players at a higher level.

If anything I think he'll be better at a higher level where he's going to come up against quicker more technical players because he seems to have a turn of pace and is a very good tackler.
He's played plenty of games in the championship for Blackpool. Would have played more if it wasn't for injuries.

No, I think we'll be fine. I'm just a little concerned by the apparent impatience of some people, that 'we might do back to back' may become 'we should do back to back'. It's not easy building a team that plays good football and it can take time.

As another poster wrote, the journey can be more enjoyable than the destination, and if getting out of the championship becomes the sole objective, good football can be sacrificed for a quick fix. I'd prefer us to build at a natural pace, not try to force it, and if that takes three years, or even five years, so be it.

That sounds about right. It took Warnock six years and I didn't have a problem with that either. A few semi's, play-offs and humiliating the pigs along the way again wouldn't go amiss though!

I think people are getting ahead of themselves. Last season was amazing. But Bristol also got 100 plus points few years ago and went up with talk of high ambitions and big investment. They've not pulled up any trees since then.

I hope people chill out a little. The worst thing that can happen at Bramall Lane is some of the fans get carried away, set their expectations too high and then get angry when we don't sweep all before us.

That sounds about right. It took Warnock six years and I didn't have a problem with that either. A few semi's, play-offs and humiliating the pigs along the way again wouldn't go amiss though!
Definitely. We do need to show progress each season or we'll quickly lose players but in two or three years we could have several of the current u23s (the young ones who've been playing above their age group) as regular first team players. That's probably when we'll need to really go for it, or they'll end up in the PL with other clubs. I'm getting ahead of myself though.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves. Last season was amazing. But Bristol also got 100 plus points few years ago and went up with talk of high ambitions and big investment. They've not pulled up any trees since then.

I hope people chill out a little. The worst thing that can happen at Bramall Lane is some of the fans get carried away, set their expectations too high and then get angry when we don't sweep all before us.

They didn't have CW as manager though, did they?

They didn't have CW as manager though, did they?

Look pal Chris Wilder is human you know and he is going into an unknown league.

Personally, I think the sunshines out of his rear.... but we've got to be prepared for the fact that it's a tough league... so let's not heap pressure on the guy just because of what he achieved for us this season. Cut him some slack, and ensure that the positive vibes keep happening; win, lose or draw!

Some of these threads are unbelieveable, we romped home with a fantastic team as champions , now some of the old crowd who questioned every thing in the past have taken less than a month to say we are a set of tortoise like cripples incapable of coping with the championship classy teams of world class players obviously all of whom have much much better players than we could ever possibly get.

Players who shone in games during 3 months unbeaten in a record breaking run seem to have contracted breathing difficulties , and arthritic complaints according to some in here

None of our team can pass , tackle or shoot straight now weve been promoted
Unlike norwich southampton swansea etc , we have to bring in a full squad of 24 new players to just stay up never mind challenge.

I know some Wednesday fans who give us more chance than some of our "blades"

Look pal Chris Wilder is human you know and he is going into an unknown league.

Personally, I think the sunshines out of his rear.... but we've got to be prepared for the fact that it's a tough league... so let's not heap pressure on the guy just because of what he achieved for us this season. Cut him some slack, and ensure that the positive vibes keep happening; win, lose or draw!

And he'd been a veteran of Division 3 (league 1) for how many years before last season? This ain't no La Liga we're going into. And them scumbags at Murder Inc definitely ain't no Barcelona. You sound just like a brainwashed, gullible, Pig that's been on North Korea talk far too long!

And he'd been a veteran of Division 3 (league 1) for how many years before last season? This ain't no La Liga we're going into. And them scumbags at Murder Inc definitely ain't no Barcelona. You sound just like a brainwashed, gullible, Pig that's been on North Korea talk far too long!

I don't why you've suddenly felt the need to insult me .

Let's keep this forum civil and polite, we all support the Sheffield United and only want what's best for it.

No he doesn't. It's a simple point, don't start crying when we don't get 100 points and 100 goals again this season.

Some of these threads are unbelieveable, we romped home with a fantastic team as champions , now some of the old crowd who questioned every thing in the past have taken less than a month to say we are a set of tortoise like cripples incapable of coping with the championship classy teams of world class players obviously all of whom have much much better players than we could ever possibly get.

Players who shone in games during 3 months unbeaten in a record breaking run seem to have contracted breathing difficulties , and arthritic complaints according to some in here

None of our team can pass , tackle or shoot straight now weve been promoted
Unlike norwich southampton swansea etc , we have to bring in a full squad of 24 new players to just stay up never mind challenge.

I know some Wednesday fans who give us more chance than some of our "blades"
Straw men again. No one has said anything what you've typed. No one.

I don't why you've suddenly felt the need to insult me .

Let's keep this forum civil and polite, we all support the Sheffield United and only want what's best for it.

Apologies. For some reason the forum won't let me do emojis, or I would have put a smiley face at the end. So might look snarky, but was intended as a light hearted reply.

Serious question, for those who saw more football than I did last season. When did the shine come off the EEL relroff me it caFoationship? And if, as has been suggested, the consensus is he plays well when an experienced CB partner is telling him where to stand, who to mark etc, could he come back into contention alongside an experienced CB signing? I have in terms of raw material (pace, strength, goal threat at set pieces etc) he looks a more plausible long term right-sided CB to me than Bash
Talking of centre halves and maybe signing an experienced one to marshal the back 3 or 4....the combined age of Ajax's 2 centre halves tonight is 37...yes 37...who needs experience ?
Err....they lost....

no no ones said we need players have they no one

no ones said we lack pace
despite scoring 100 plus
That's not the entirety of what you wrote though.

Just so I'm clear, do you think we don't need to recruit any players?

Do you agree with the concept that, in general, clubs in the higher leagues are better than clubs in the lower leagues?

No one has equated our goal tally, either positively or negatively, with our lack of pace.

A Basham basher !I get the idea you don't like a player that gives it 100% + every match ,he is one of the first names on the team sheet and will be this season.
Towards the end of Adkins reign he was one of a few who kept going he doasnt know any other way than to give everything for the team,he is one to be admired he will have a big part to play this season in my opinion.

Ah, giving our own fans an hilarious label; that was just what this forum needed more of.

Basham was good for the last few months of the season, but was still prone to errors, both technically and positional-wise. Before this he was average at best. He also goes hurtling in to tackles with little to no control. When he gets the ball, it looks great, when he doesn't, it's a booking or a sending off.

The point I am making is, sentiment aside, he will be up against much better players on a regular basis next season. I'm not comfortable with him being a first choice centre half on the back of 3 months of good performances.

Sorry if this offends or warrants silly nomenclature.

So this thread was about centre halves...was....oh and Walkley, yeah Ajax's 2 centre halves are rubbish cus they lost are they ? Real Madrid and Man City are after one of them !

Ah, giving our own fans an hilarious label; that was just what this forum needed more of.

Basham was good for the last few months of the season, but was still prone to errors, both technically and positional-wise. Before this he was average at best. He also goes hurtling in to tackles with little to no control. When he gets the ball, it looks great, when he doesn't, it's a booking or a sending off.

The point I am making is, sentiment aside, he will be up against much better players on a regular basis next season. I'm not comfortable with him being a first choice centre half on the back of 3 months of good performances.

Sorry if this offends or warrants silly nomenclature.
You have a point with the mistakes but his overall game out weighs this.Also he has been sent off once in 3 seasons playing for us,he also has been chosen by all 3 managers he has played for ,accept 2 were were sacked but Wilder rates him highly as I do.
Yes he can be improved upon but he will be a big player in our team next season,my opinion of course.

I never liked Bradford when clout had placed him at CH for us but apparently been playing there for Burton not sure if he was runner up or such in their player of season . Think it'll be decision time very soon as to whether wilder wants him back to challenge or provide cover for freeman , think he's only got a year left on his contract so if they are gonna offload him itll be soon as he'd walk on a free at end of the season . We all know how well he played as an attacking FB when he had maguire & Collins as a partnership in the middle & then got caught out of position so much with Edgar & Collins . Not sure whether his performances were a result of the lads at the side of him or loss of form / Sussex out pushing on to much by opposition ?

Back
Top Bottom