Player Suggestion David Wheater

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's not the best looking but he sure can defend! I'll let the lasses debate on his looks! He might be more old school and not as mobile or classy as Jack O'Connell but he'd surely do a Morgan job very well. Not got their player of the season for nothing has he!

He would be a solid enough defender in the Championship and might chip in with a goal or two as well. Got a feeling Bolton might offer him a new deal though.

Whatever happens with Wheater, very much doubt his contract situation will be resolved till much later in the summer.

Reckon he'll have lots of suitors after the season he's just had. And he'll be looking for a very hefty championship wage (& longish contract?).

Good defender but not sure he fits what we are trying to achieve. We demand people who are comfortable on the ball - he's not that.

That said, still a good option on a free...

Wheater is excellent on the ball, and a dominant warrior to boot. Also made the full England squad when younger, so obviously no teacake? I'd take on a free all day long, for 2 years.

They reminded me of the team Pulis had at Stoke. An Agricultural monstrosity of a throw back to the 80's. How they paid good money to watch that was beyond belief. Then they had the cheek to come on here running their mouths off!

Aye I've seen that re the poll. Joke that any award is allowed to just go on who gets the most votes from fans! Owlstalk really is a joke doing that.

you could have just stopped there really :)

Fair point, wasn't aware of his pay cut in honesty. I'd imagine there's a bit more to it though.

He was on something like £17k-£20k pw the previous season, going by reports. So I'd imagine the deal for this season involved heavy bonuses if promotion was achieved, with a lower basic, but getting towards making up the shortfall in bonuses if they made it back up. Just speculating, but I doubt he'd have voluntarily taken a seriously hefty cut just for love of Bolton.

But that salary he was on the season before shows what his expectations are likely to be I'd have thought, especially after such a successful season for him personally.

Think his previous wage was based on signing for Bolton when they were in the prem. He left last season and tried to find a new club before re-signing with them after not getting any better offers. I don't think he's be likely to command more than £10-12 k per week these days.

We could do so much better we need some one younger and more mobile for next season.

At 30 he's not old though is he? We have to rem ember that our budget may not allow us to go out and spend £1m plus on a centre half that is younger. As a free he could represent decent value. He's a proper defender and we need at least one, if not two, more centre backs.

I'd take him if the price was right. He would improve our defence for sure and it would weaken a potential rival for next season. I'd still want us to be looking at another central defender though with pace and more mobility. Basham, Wheater, Wright, O'Connell and A.N.Other - that'd do for starters. :)

It would be worth offering just for the sake off it to make Bolton offer more than they would probably like to , if he decided to sign for us he would definitely be an asset.

At 30 he's not old though is he? We have to rem ember that our budget may not allow us to go out and spend £1m plus on a centre half that is younger. As a free he could represent decent value. He's a proper defender and we need at least one, if not two, more centre backs.

No he is not old, but I would like us to go for someone a bit younger who adds something different to Joc, Wright and Basham and pace is thing we are missing.

Think his previous wage was based on signing for Bolton when they were in the prem. He left last season and tried to find a new club before re-signing with them after not getting any better offers. I don't think he's be likely to command more than £10-12 k per week these days.

I'm just thinking after that season he's just had, being out of contract/no transfer fee, guaranteed performer at this level, & still a decent age for a centre-back at 30 - he could well have the silly-money crew interested in him now. And if so, we just couldn't compete. Middlesbro, Sunderland, & Maguireless Hull all possibilities I'd have thought.

Don't get me wrong tho - if there were a chance of getting him in (with it not skewing the wage structure) I'd say: yes, 100%. Undeniably a quality performer and a leader too. And seems a good lad as well. Just that he'll be able to command a much better whack than we'll be able to offer IMO.

I'm just thinking after that season he's just had, being out of contract/no transfer fee, guaranteed performer at this level, & still a decent age for a centre-back at 30 - he could well have the silly-money crew interested in him now. And if so, we just couldn't compete. Middlesbro, Sunderland, & Maguireless Hull all possibilities I'd have thought.

Don't get me wrong tho - if there were a chance of getting him in (with it not skewing the wage structure) I'd say: yes, 100%. Undeniably a quality performer and a leader too. And seems a good lad as well. Just that he'll be able to command a much better whack than we'll be able to offer IMO.

Possibly. We all speculate but none of us know for sure. I think his lack of pace and quality on the ball might but the bigger sides off but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom