Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Monks DIY on Queens Road. Next door there was a company called Hodkin & Jones. As a kid I used to wonder if there was a link with David Munks, Mick Jones and Alan Hodgkinson.

Different spellings but everything in those days ( and probably still is) was Blades related.

It was exactly the same for my brother and me. I definitely remember us making the same Hodkin & Jones connection and when the Rugby Union results came on at the end of Grandstand we used to look out for the Birkenhead Park result because it sounded like Birchenall.

Name the Blade. ;)

article-2324483-19C5E66F000005DC-725_634x419.jpg

Thanks SEB, Butler`s Cafe on the right there, best grub ever!

The best meat and potato pie in the whole breathing world was at Butlers. Have searched long and hard and never found a pie anywhere that could even lace up its short crust boots. I wasn't a regular but the pies have had a profund effect on my life. I often reflect on what might have been had I got to know Butlers better.

I loved Butlers ,even like Butlers indian despite it moving down the road. There would be a great opportunity for someone to open a pie shop in Sheffield , or anywhere else for that matter.

I hoped a picture of Brookhill would eventually appear on this thread, with Butler's Dining Rooms (to give it its full name). It was run until it closed by my Uncle Steve and Aunty Edna (my Mum's younger sister) and I have loads of memories of staying there, eating there, working there and playing football in the backyard.

It was two shop fronts wide, which was the serving and dining area, and because of the steep slope of St Georges Close, only part of the cellar was underground, the kitchen itself was at ground level, but the cellar didn't match the ground level, it went under the sweet shop next door.

The pastry for the Desperate Dan pies was mixed in a huge commercial mixer, which also did the dough for bread cakes. The meat and potatoes were chopped and put in giant aluminium (I think) bowls, the pastry lid was put on and the whole thing then went into a big GEC electric commercial oven for baking. I can still hear the click that the latch made as the door closed and opened. That oven did the bread and roasted the beef and pork for lunches, as well as the apple pies. The apples were peeled by Grandma Butler, the only job I ever saw her do, but she was in her dotage in the late sixties.

Butler's also did outside catering, pie and pea suppers, all over Sheffield for up to 200, where the plates were transported in hot water canisters and dried at the venue and the pie and pies served up in double quick time. The aim was always to be back at Brookhill before closing time (1030pm) at the pub on St George's Close, the name of which escapes me.

When Uncle Steve (sadly no longer with us, nor Aunty Edna either) retired, the people who took over the lease and turned it into an Indian had heard so much about Butler's, they decided to keep the name, which was a lovely gesture. There was an article in The Star asking for Steve to get in touch as they'd like to offer him a meal. He was no longer alive, but my cousin's Yorkshire heritage meant that he took up the offer on his Dad's behalf :)

The Indian owners built a completely new kitchen at ground level and never touched the cellar and everything was still down there, oven, mixer and loads of Butler's crockery. I assume all of that went when the building eventually collapsed a few years ago. The big surprise to me was that the council didn't insist on demolition, it was rebuilt and since the demise of Jessop's, is the only original block in that immediate area.

Longley was history in our year ,ladies man he never left Miss Nicholls alone. PE teachers when I was there were Dowswell ,hague ,Bate and Howard Wilkinson ,none of who took the football team ,that was left to the 2nd best teacher ever Mr Poore who was a chemistry teacher.

Howard Wilkinson's daughter went to Abbeydale up to 86. She's in Australia now. Weird really that a football managers daughter went to the local comp. Different days. Some of the pigs used to hang around her, snorting, truffling and braying. Sad.

Jack Lester also went to Abbeydale. His older sisters were well fruity!

Howard Wilkinson's daughter went to Abbeydale up to 86. She's in Australia now. Weird really that a football managers daughter went to the local comp. Different days. Some of the pigs used to hang around her, snorting, truffling and braying. Sad.

Jack Lester also went to Abbeydale. His older sisters were well fruity!
I thought Jack went to High Storrs.

Back
Top Bottom