Your oddest/oldest/favourite Utd programme

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HodgysBrokenThumb

Reaction score
I came across this the other day, and had no idea it was in amongst my programmes, no idea how I got it, because I have never been to a match in Chester. So I declare this my oddest prog, and would like to know others' oddest, oldest, or favourite programme. The spelling of the United players leaves a lot to be desired. And did Birchenall start out as a left-half?
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Birchamhall wwent on to do OK, didn't he?

I think Bishop might have been Peter (Zack) Bishop, an amateur player who turned out a few times for Chesterfield in the 4th division.

I wonder which of Read/Fitzgerald and Bennion/Starkey were given the nod for Chester.

Thanks, SB.

He was called Zack after a character in the BBC early evening football-themed soap opera, United! I think it was filmed at Coventry's Highfield Road ground and United wore striped shirts, but we only had black & white tellies back then so whether the stripes were red I couldn't say.

Zack Bishop wore number 9 and had long hair. He was nowt like Peter at all.

Chesterfield got so many players from United in the 60s and 70s I've forgotten most of them but they included

Phil Cliff
Charlie Bell
Frank Barlow
Cliff Mason
Brian Arblaster
Dennis Finnegan
Tom Fenoughty
Len Badger
Steve Cammack

I'm sure there are loads more. The only one I remember going the other way was Jim Brown.

Bill Dearden, Andy Wilson and Keith Kettleborough also all turned up at Saltergate but went elsewhere first after leaving the Lane.

I came across this the other day, and had no idea it was in amongst my programmes, no idea how I got it, because I have never been to a match in Chester. So I declare this my oddest prog, and would like to know others' oddest, oldest, or favourite programme. The spelling of the United players leaves a lot to be desired. And did Birchenall start out as a left-half?
View attachment 23648 View attachment 23649

I hope you like this one. My first visit to BDTBL, before it even was BDTBL.

001.JPG

005.JPG

My favourite one would be the one from our final game of the 20th century on 28th December 1999 at home to Fulham. A silver bumper-edition thing, the picture of which I'll put up when I dig it out of the garage.

We won 2-0 and the crowd of 17,000+ was one of our better gates that season. Remarkable to think that if we had that now, despite being in a lower division, it would be considered quite low.

Got Jimmy Hagans testimonial programme from 1958.

Got Curries testimonial too.

My favourite though are a few from the 1984-85 season as I can recognise myself on the front cover. I'm stood on the side terracing away (mixed home and away fans) at Oldham.

View attachment 23648 View attachment 23649
Are you leaving me the programme in your will?

Ha! It was only a friendly. The match took place on an FA Cup day when United and Rotherham were already knocked out, but there was still a proper programme brought out.

The Blades won 4-1.

Ha! It was only a friendly. The match took place on an FA Cup day when United and Rotherham were already knocked out, but there was still a proper programme brought out.

The Blades won 4-1.
Dunce's corner for me!

Showing my (relative) youth here, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere I still have an old school project I did on the Blades when I was 11...included in the back of it was the programme from our FA cup game against Coventry in 1998 (I think). That will always be one of my favourite nights at the lane...it remains the only time I've set foot on the sacred turf, and will always remain as a highlight of my time watching United.

Here's hoping I have another moment to celebrate in a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom