An SLO Hello

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

katedeluxe91

Reaction score
Hi,
As getting visibility up has been talked about a lot in the past couple of weeks just thought I'd introduce myself on here as one of the new voluntary SLOs. Started going to games when I was around 9/10 but then moved abroad for a while when I was in secondary school so was limited to tv/blades player for a while - seriously, those who complain about the quality of League One Football have clearly not had to endure such thrillers as Luxembourg vs Belarus (free for U-16s but still arguably overpriced). Anyway, my main area will be the Westfield Health Corner, but will be around in various places on different match days, so if you have issues/questions especially on match day I'll do what I can..unless it is related to centre backs.

Kate

Welcome, katedeluxe91.
Excuse my ignorance - What does SLO stand for? From your description it sounds like a 'customer relations' type of role.

Welcome, katedeluxe91.
Excuse my ignorance - What does SLO stand for? From your description it sounds like a 'customer relations' type of role.

I think I can excuse the ignorance..especially given that I also didn't know what it was until the role was advertised. It is a Supporter Liaison Officer. Every single club in the league has one - ours being John Garrett - but the idea of having people on match days talking with fans hasn't been done by many clubs aside from us as far as I'm aware.

There is an article on it here if it helps - http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/bramall-lane-matchday-SLO-Sheffield-United

It is a customer relations role, but we're all fans so a bit more informal and a lot of the ideas that have come from it have come from general conversation rather than people directly coming to complain about something. At the end of the day how much is done with it depends on how much fans engage with it and use it. Information/issues/ideas we get are fed back to the club (Operations, Stewarding, Managing Director, Commercial etc.) so it is just sort of creating an accessible, human link between supporters and the club instead of just firing off an email that you don't know if it will ever get read properly or taken seriously. It is still fairly early days and people are still only just finding out we exist, but hopefully it will develop into something good.

Hope that clears it up a bit anyway!

Kate :)

I think I can excuse the ignorance..especially given that I also didn't know what it was until the role was advertised. It is a Supporter Liaison Officer. Every single club in the league has one - ours being John Garrett - but the idea of having people on match days talking with fans hasn't been done by many clubs aside from us as far as I'm aware.

There is an article on it here if it helps - http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/bramall-lane-matchday-SLO-Sheffield-United

It is a customer relations role, but we're all fans so a bit more informal and a lot of the ideas that have come from it have come from general conversation rather than people directly coming to complain about something. At the end of the day how much is done with it depends on how much fans engage with it and use it. Information/issues/ideas we get are fed back to the club (Operations, Stewarding, Managing Director, Commercial etc.) so it is just sort of creating an accessible, human link between supporters and the club instead of just firing off an email that you don't know if it will ever get read properly or taken seriously. It is still fairly early days and people are still only just finding out we exist, but hopefully it will develop into something good.

Hope that clears it up a bit anyway!

Kate :)
Thanks for the information and the link to the FSF website article. If I have any questions about SUFC (in particular the matchday experience), I'll be sure to contact you or John Garrett. Cheers

Last edited:
katedeluxe91 welcome to the forum. I think other clubs SLO people have contacted this forum in the past for information sharing and to introduce themselves ahead of matches and it seemed quite a good bit of initiative from them. Can't remember which club it was though - Donny?

I sat on the south stand on Saturday with some mates and noticed an SLO geezer. I mentioned it to my mates and they didn't have a clue what he was there for

I'd be interested to know if we have an SLO on the kop as well, considering it's the stand with the biggest issues.

katedeluxe91 welcome to the forum. I think other clubs SLO people have contacted this forum in the past for information sharing and to introduce themselves ahead of matches and it seemed quite a good bit of initiative from them. Can't remember which club it was though - Donny?

I sat on the south stand on Saturday with some mates and noticed an SLO geezer. I mentioned it to my mates and they didn't have a clue what he was there for

I'd be interested to know if we have an SLO on the kop as well, considering it's the stand with the biggest issues.

Hi.

Yeah I've seen some other very active SLO. Obviously Sheffield United's problem (although a very good thing mostly) is that as a bigger club it is impossible for John to be everywhere and doing everything at once which is why we've been brought in. It is all a bit of a work in progress and visibility is definitely one of the issues we're looking to sort at the moment as obviously unless you know we exist and who we are it is fairly pointless.

http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/sheffield-united-supporter-liaison-officers-2716428.aspx

The club posted something on it a while ago and in the programme once but obviously only a limited number of people would have seen it and not much has been done since then.

Left to right on photo we've got:
Gary - KOP
Kate - Westfield Health/Away
Matt - Family Stand
John - South Stand

The stewards know who we are so should be able to point you in the right direction if anything comes up and we're all wearing purple bibs at the moment while the club adjusts.

Kate

All these SLOs at matches katedeluxe91 ... no wonder attendances are holding up! :p ;)
haha don't think we're included in attendance. Against all odds it is the Sheffield United fans still turning up! See what happens when it is freezing cold on a Tuesday eve in February though if there isn't improvement. Might end up with SLO only game!

Back
Top Bottom