How Did We Win That?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
What a goal from McNulty, but after that didn't we just give them possession, time after time?

No idea how we won.

Is it some master plan I don't get?

(But what a goal from McNulty.)

Struggled giving the ball away too much but bothered, 3 points!

to me it sounded like we did brill got the second then decided to sit back (BIG MISTAKE ) just sounded like we had too much for them in the end won last 3 away long may it continue

away wins are like that take your chances you get points , took some time but we are learning how to do it

How many times do arsenal chelsea man utd only seem to play for 30% of games but win
bbc says they had 53 to 47% possession so did what we had to do

we did get fortunate for brayfords goal what shocking keeping that was :eek:

Terrific three points for The Blades tonight and great support again by the sound of it. Hat's off to all of you who travelled.

See yers at Crawley on Saturday.

Thought we played quite well away at a decent side, didn't like our fans a) getting on players backs for the slightest imperfection while winning away b) taking piss out of their support, I know its the standard but just support our team, accept most home supports shit including ours, and that we're playing clubs with small fan bases who should be respected for not supporting Man U/City.

Liked Brayfords celebration and the players coming over as a team at the end, I often think away sides at bramall lane do that more than our players, so it was a nice touch.

As to 'how did we win that?' We were the better team for the most part, sides will always have a spell, need to accept that. Players tired as is to be expected but overall a deserved win in my eyes.

Agree with that some players visibly tired and some had off nights. Doyle and Kennedy the pick for me.

Thought we played quite well away at a decent side, didn't like our fans a) getting on players backs for the slightest imperfection while winning away b) taking piss out of their support, I know its the standard but just support our team, accept most home supports shit including ours, and that we're playing clubs with small fan bases who should be respected for not supporting Man U/City.

Liked Brayfords celebration and the players coming over as a team at the end, I often think away sides at bramall lane do that more than our players, so it was a nice touch.
Yes but apparently our fans are only twats at home;)

We played far too many long balls. There was a guy close to me (S block) who was screaming blue murder for us to get it down and start playing football. Then right in front of us there was good interplay maybe Murphy, Coutts and Harris, the ball was then played to Doyle who brought in Brayford. Result was the second goal.

Whoever that bloke was should take a bow.

Haven't seen any replays but in real time I thought Harris was slow in closing down their player who crossed for their goal.

We need to learn how to remain comfortable on the ball even when the opposition are closing us down quickly. Coventry used the same tactic at the weekend

They didn't give us any space at all which is fair enough, that's how you stop so called better teams from beating you. Our answer seemed to be to either hoof it up to McNulty / Done or play the old diagonal hoof into the corner, neither which worked for most of the night. Our best two incisive bits of passing and play resulted in the two goals. It was job done and we were far from convincing possession wise but 3 points.

Great ball from Bobby for the 1st but I haven't seen mention of the great touch by McEveley to give him the ball, most expected a hoof but he did a great reverse pass to the whispering one.

Bigger picture, not sure, we will be hard to beat but teams know if they cut off the supply to Murph and hassle us, they've got half a chance, particularly as we can't seem to keep a clean sheet at the moment. The pit of the stomach play-off feeling is starting to appear :(

We seem to have started hoofing it into the channels.

Results say it's working, just don't get how.

Must be tempting, especially with Done on the pitch. His speed and willingness to run mean--among other things--that we always have a viable out-ball into the channels, which is another thing we've been lacking since forever.

This is a good thing ! Hope we don't become too over-reliant on it.

Great ball from Bobby for the 1st but I haven't seen mention of the great touch by McEveley to give him the ball, most expected a hoof but he did a great reverse pass to the whispering one.

There won't be any mention of good play from McEveley. The Bladey Blades have decided that TK must play, so J-Mac has to be shite. Simple as that. It's the Bladesfans' Way.

There won't be any mention of good play from McEveley. The Bladey Blades have decided that TK must play, so J-Mac has to be shite. Simple as that. It's the Bladesfans' Way.

I have been a big fan of Jmac this season but the past couple of games he has made me nervous. Last night he was constantly in TKs ear telling him what to do and leading the back line well but he made a few mistakes and got caught out of position a couple of times. Not sure if hes the long term solution but I am happy with him till the end of the season at least.

What a goal from McNulty, but after that didn't we just give them possession, time after time?

No idea how we won.

Is it some master plan I don't get?

(But what a goal from McNulty.)

The reason we won it is because we had 4 grafters in midfield.

We saw 3 v Brizzle and a 4th played (Flynn) v R'dale.

I get the impression this blueprint will be the standard formula in away games from now on.

Be hard to beat nad when in possession hit them with pace and skill, then get back to being solid again

At R'dale last night is was quite clear that Doyle and Coutts sat and allowed Basham to break box to box.

We also pressed R'dale a lot when they had the ball - new tactics for the final third of the season.

We have sufficient talent in Mcnuts/JCR/Murph/Done/Baxter?/Reed to do damage as well.

UTB

I get the impression this blueprint will be the standard formula in away games from now on.

Be hard to beat nad when in possession hit them with pace and skill, then get back to being solid again

At R'dale last night is was quite clear that Doyle and Coutts sat and allowed Basham to break box to box.
i was there too last night fulwood and i agree totally with what you say.We will need to be very resolute and wired in defensively playing like that ,although a brayford fan i thought at the time he was slow coming out when they scoreon seeing the highlights he fell asleep and played there player on side thats the kind of thing we have to avoid if we are to make it work not critical of him (brayford) but he doas,nt walk on water and makes mistakes like all players do.
We also pressed R'dale a lot when they had the ball - new tactics for the final third of the season.

We have sufficient talent in Mcnuts/JCR/Murph/Done/Baxter?/Reed to do damage as well.

UTB

Be hard to beat and when in possession hit them with pace and skill, then get back to being solid again

UTB

I noticed the pressing part of this, and guessed at the breaking with pace and skill part. Didn't notice the roles of the midfielders.

I'd add there were quite a few of the kind of break-up-play type fouls team commit against us at the Lane, and we didn't get booked (for the most part), just like the teams who come to the Lane don't.

What concerned me was how often and how cheaply, or even freely, we gifted them possession. The BBC stats had it at about even, so maybe I missed something, but time after time set-pieces, sometimes in what would ordinarily be considered promising situations, would just sail into touch, or go straight to their players.

Not satisfied with being shite at corners we're working at being shite at free kicks (and bloody throw-ins) too.

That said, genuinely, it may be a tactic,: challenge the opposition to break us down - it's just that it looked to me like we could and should have done an awful lot more with the possession we had.

I noticed the pressing part of this, and guessed at the breaking with pace and skill part. Didn't notice the roles of the midfielders.

I'd add there were quite a few of the kind of break-up-play type fouls team commit against us at the Lane, and we didn't get booked (for the most part), just like the teams who come to the Lane don't.

What concerned me was how often and how cheaply, or even freely, we gifted them possession. The BBC stats had it at about even, so maybe I missed something, but time after time set-pieces, sometimes in what would ordinarily be considered promising situations, would just sail into touch, or go straight to their players.

Not satisfied with being shite at corners we're working at being shite at free kicks (and bloody throw-ins) too.

That said, genuinely, it may be a tactic,: challenge the opposition to break us down - it's just that it looked to me like we could and should have done an awful lot more with the possession we had.

yes think Basham was lucky - 3 fouls which should have led to a booking. Our lot took the piss out of the ref for being kindergarten - personally thought he reffed it very well.

Yep, corners as usual - shit.

Think all in all, R'dale tried all sorts but with 4 grafters and to be fair, Murph did his fair share of defending we were just content to get 3 points in a rather ugly but efficient way against an inconsistent but tricky opposition.

In the end skill won the day - mcnuts finish was worth the entrance fee. Beard's shot had quality all over it and ok, the keeper fumbled it, but no doubt it moved a lot.

3 points, we move on - and more of the same on Saturday v crawley. Just be solid, then hopefully a bit more creative on Tuesday v P'boro.

We ARE on the move.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom