Last Night's Match

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ghandi

Reaction score
Following the 2 previous defeats and no goals scored and the amount of angst posted on here, I was wondering why after last night's win and 4 goals scored so little has been posted. Only asking like;)

Following the 2 previous defeats and no goals scored and the amount of angst posted on here, I was wondering why after last night's win and 4 goals scored so little has been posted. Only asking like;)
We scored against northampton

The central partnership looked suspect to me last night and Maquire is going to be a big miss when he goes, Collins never looks the same player when he's not playing alongside him. Bit hit and miss performance for me last night but at least we are back on track with a win. Plus points for me were the performances of Reed, our best player with some excellent passing, cool and calm on the ball, just a bit easy to knock off of the ball at present but what a great prospect he is. Pat on the back to Harris, Basham,Baxter and McNulty who looked lively when he came on. Scoogs looked well out of it for some reason. Willis unlucky with their second goal as well, would liked to have seen a bit more of him last night as he came on late in the game.

No one (or at least myself) is basing our striker situation on these pre-season friendlies. It's the fact we were the 3rd lowest scorers in league 1 last year, and have to date only signed one unproven striker this summer.

The reason people are coy at the moment is because some will say 'well we scored 4 against Dundee, there's proof we don't need a striker' or words to that effect, which would be a poor and pointless argument!

So we lose to Burton with an experimental team and that proves we're lacking, yet we score 4 against Dundee and that proves nothing? Interesting.....

I would say that pre season games never prove anything. Managers are trying things out and players aren't going to be at it full tilt.

With regard to a striker, Clough has made it fairly clear that he's waiting for the right moment and the right one to become available. He's obviously got his eye on a specific target or two and is waiting until the transfer market starts to open up a bit. As players move the dominoes will fall until all of a sudden the no.1 choice is available.....

Then again we could just go and sign any old striker for the sake of it.

The reason people are coy at the moment is because some will say 'well we scored 4 against Dundee, there's proof we don't need a striker' or words to that effect, which would be a poor and pointless argument!
I bet there aren't many.

UTB

I bet there aren't many.

UTB

But there are fans who, for reasons I can't quite understand, are more than happy with our current attacking options. I'm sure scoring 4 against Dundee in a friendly would give them proof (in their own minds) that we will score enough goals.

I think the point being made is the roof was falling in for some this time last week. Based on knocking 4 past someone probably better than Burton shouldn't those same people be ringing the church bells and saying all is well?

The point for me is both results should be viewed equally, as pre season friendlies that count for nothing right now. Its about fitness right now, come Bristol City is when it matters. However, the fact Clough has said he is looking primarily for strikers tells you he isn't happy with gambling on what we have. All seems reasonable to me.

I was tempted to ask if people would stop panicking with three forwards on the scoresheet, and the new striker scoring within minutes of his first game for the club.

So when we've signed this '20-goal' striker what do we do about the other 26 league games (or more if he gets a brace here or there or scores in a cup)? Play for 0-0?

But there are fans who, for reasons I can't quite understand, are more than happy with our current attacking options. I'm sure scoring 4 against Dundee in a friendly would give them proof (in their own minds) that we will score enough goals.

That is bollocks. No one has said to my recollection they are happy. There have been statements that the world isn't ending (to some you would think it will/has) but to a one I think we know we need strikers.

That is bollocks. No one has said to my recollection they are happy. There have been statements that the world isn't ending (to some you would think it will/has) but to a one I think we know we need strikers.

Not true. Sadly I've had many a debate (on here and in person) with blades who think we have enough.

I know it's traditional to put strawmen around the villages at this time of year but you're suppose to disguise them and make them blend in.

I must admit, I've never heard or seen anybody claim that they're "more than happy" with our current strike force during this pre-season. It is indeed bollocks.

Baxter has defiantly had a lot of pies over the summer, he looked like he had to try harder when running.

Interesting comments regarding Baxters waistband. A few people came on here recently saying he looked like he had really slimmed down. Now he's fat again. Whats going on?

Interesting comments regarding Baxters waistband. A few people came on here recently saying he had really slimmed down. Now he's fat again. Whats going on?

Hope I'm not the only one who thinks Baxter looks better than he did last season.

Hope I'm not the only one who thinks Baxter looks better than he did last season.

Don't care what he looks like so long as he plays better and more consistently than he did last season.

Interesting comments regarding Baxters waistband. A few people came on here recently saying he had really slimmed down. Now he's fat again. Whats going on?

Big thing with players who had a chance at the top table and never made it, they are all flawed. In Baxters case perhaps he spends too long at the sweet trolley?

Not true. Sadly I've had many a debate (on here and in person) with blades who think we have enough.

Please point me to one on here because I think you talk with fucked tongue.

In the time he's been at United he's never been fat. He looked like he had a lot of bulk last season, but it wasn't fat.

I doubt very much he's done a paddy Kenny over the last few weeks.

Many commented on the first day of training that he had slimmed down, but I said it was probably the training kit which was a slimmer fit.

The pics I've seen of players against Burton, they all look like rugby players. Given Cloughs reputation in the preseason training anyone carrying any extra summer timber will have lost it since they started back training.

Personally I think that by that first game of the season, we'll have the fittest side in the league

But isn't this the mind set of all fans ?
When they lose, it's a disaster, When they win, it's back to normal .....

But isn't this the mind set of all fans ?
When they lose, it's a disaster, When they win, it's back to normal .....
Ours seem worse than most.
Same with a players one minute
they're shite and should be sold, they hit form and leave they're greedy and disloyal. It gets very tiring.

I would also say there is an element of empty cans, but there is always someone who can find a negative in everything.

But what I don't understand is why we can't sign a striker 'just for the sake of it'!
I bored of these new signings already and need someone newerer and crapperer to slag off soon or't lots goin' up!

What was the formation? Can anyone explain how exactly we lined up in midfield?
Alcock, McGahey, Collins and Harris at the back. Murphy on the left, JCR on the right. Reed, Scougall, Baxter and Basham decide whether they play deep or get into the box (Baxter and Basham attacked more than Reed and Scougall). Looks like we are still playing the false 9 formation.

Back
Top Bottom