League 1 vs Blades - History

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SotonBlade

Reaction score
Evening Gents & Linz :)

I've created a blog post on our last meetings with our opponents for the coming season.

Feel free to have a read, and feedback.

http://www.danners.org.uk/?p=150

Admins - feel free to move/remove/edit etc. Wasn't sure on what was right or wrong :D

So the last time we played Chesterfield they went down, and we went up. But they still did the double on us?

I'd take that again this season :thumbup:

based on the last results , if replicated we would get a play off place plus whatever points from the 6 matches v the 3 weve not played , which could tip us into our 3rd runners up in our last 3 seasons in div 1
which Id take

• Admin
I think it'd be a bit foolish to take those as guide results, given that some of them are nearly 30 years ago! :)

So the last time we played Chesterfield they went down, and we went up. But they still did the double on us?

I'd take that again this season :thumbup:

plus the other two teams to do the double over us Notts County & Scunthorpe were both relegated in 24th place, i.e. bottom.

based on the last results , if replicated we would get a play off place plus whatever points from the 6 matches v the 3 weve not played , which could tip us into our 3rd runners up in our last 3 seasons in div 1
which Id take

We've only finished runners up once in division three (1988-9). The other time that we won promotion from there was 1983-4 which pre-dates the introduction of the play off system. We finished third.

We've only finished runners up once in division three (1988-9). The other time that we won promotion from there was 1983-4 which pre-dates the introduction of the play off system. We finished third.

If we win the third tier we could be one of the few teams to have been champions of all 4 tiers. I know Wolves have done that and I think there are a couple of others, but am not sure who they are!

If we win the third tier we could be one of the few teams to have been champions of all 4 tiers. I know Wolves have done that and I think there are a couple of others, but am not sure who they are!

What an accolade that is. A prize for being shit. Whoopee!

What an accolade that is. A prize for being shit. Whoopee!

Better than being even shitter.

Preston and Burnley are the other two. We would become the only team to have won each division only once!

Why is being champions a prize for being shit? Surely it means there at least 23 teams more shit

No - it's a shit prize not a prize for being shit.
Be nice to win something worthwhile for once.
Third Division title - meh
JPT - meh
Bag of Maltesers with a cup of tea - OK

I was at Darlington and that was a spectacle but that was Div 4 and it was the highest of the low as well as being 30 years ago so I am not going to make a song and dance of a title for Div 3 that's all.
Cream about it if you want to if it happens - just thought we had left all that blx behind.

No - it's a shit prize not a prize for being shit.
Be nice to win something worthwhile for once.
Third Division title - meh
JPT - meh
Bag of Maltesers with a cup of tea - OK

I was at Darlington and that was a spectacle but that was Div 4 and it was the highest of the low as well as being 30 years ago so I am not going to make a song and dance of a title for Div 3 that's all.
Cream about it if you want to if it happens - just thought we had left all that blx behind.

I take your point. 81-82 was the lowest we have ever finished in the league, yet it is seen as a successful season...

I take your point. 81-82 was the lowest we have ever finished in the league, yet it is seen as a successful season...

Had one of my most enjoyable seasons that 4th Div year following the Blades all over the country. Only blot from an enjoyment perspective was the game at Colchester where the team had to wear their away kit as the ref thought ours was not suitable or we had lost it or summat. Anyway we got spanked by five and it was on Match of the Day. Long walk form the station and plenty of coppers without any sense of humour.

Those were times that were a million miles away from today. Sheff Utd in the 4th Division again would be a disaster of mammoth proportions nowadays - having both Sheffield teams in Div 3 is embarrassing enough.

It was successful, because we achieved our aim - promotion.

But it went further than that. It was promotion with style. Undefeated at home, only 4 league defeats all season, and we were actually playing (for the most part) pretty good football. I remember it as being of much better quality than recent seasons.

Mind you, we played better football during the 1980-1 relegation season than we did last season!

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Those were times that were a million miles away from today. Sheff Utd in the 4th Division again would be a disaster of mammoth proportions nowadays - having both Sheffield teams in Div 3 is embarrassing enough.

Times have changed, yes. But our relegation to the fourth division was still regarded as a pretty cataclysmic event even at that time. To many commentators it was almost unbelievable.

Had one of my most enjoyable seasons that 4th Div year following the Blades all over the country. Only blot from an enjoyment perspective was the game at Colchester where the team had to wear their away kit as the ref thought ours was not suitable or we had lost it or summat. Anyway we got spanked by five and it was on Match of the Day. Long walk form the station and plenty of coppers without any sense of humour.

I think next season will be the first time ever when other South Yorks teams are in higher divisions than BOTH Sheffield clubs.

Wow on those stats 2/3 of all the teams will be relegated.

Perhaps on the programmes should appear the Grim Reaper with "Play the Blades and you have a 66% chance of relegation!" ;-)

Back
Top Bottom