Wilder leaving would set the club back years......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CentralQuay

Reaction score
.....And would more likely result in back to back relegations, than a relatively sharp return to the top flight.

I'm aware it sounds defeatist, the reality is, it's just realistic. There's not enough goals in this side to win the amount of games required to stay in this league, winning half the remaining games may not even be enough, and that's not going to happen anyway.

Wilder is unfortunate enough to be a victim of his own success. Had this been 12 months ago, it would have been more 'expected', and therefore more accepted. An exceptional league finish, which when examined more closely cannot be considered 'lucky', but certainly an over-achievement, has really damaged Wilder's reputation with Blades fans......But not those outside the club.

Why do fans of a Premier League Club, which fields the likes of Mcgoldrick, Fleck, Stevens, Basham, Norwood etc, expect better than the current league position?
The answer - Chris Wilder.

I did find it astounding time and time again last season when I was told that these Sheffield United players, specifically the likes of Norwood and Fleck, were 'Good Premier League players'.
I also seem to recall someone saying that Lundstrum, as a result of his contract situation, would likely be snapped up by the likes of Everton or West Ham.

I'm sorry, but not 1 player in that squad tonight, "Walks into" any side in this league.....Currently.
There's an argument that some of the better players, like Egan, could maybe get into Fulham's defence for example.....But given the way Parker has been setting them up, i'm not sure he's mobile enough to do so.

Wilder knows these players aren't good enough. Just read his comments again tonight.....

"The same players that played with that momentum and belief from last year are not doing it this year. Nothing has really changed, the league hasn't changed, Everton haven't really changed but our team has in terms of the lack of quality we are showing this year.
Good, experienced players who have played at this level for a season are not sticking their hand up and making my job easier."

The transfer policy is clearly the correct one, long term.
One exceptional season, or you could argue 2 if you include the promotion itself, just shows Wilder is ahead of schedule really.

The Club doesn't have the infrastructure in place to compete at this level currently, that's just the reality.
Assets in Ramsdale, Berge, Brewster, Lowe, Bogle, Mcburnie, Burke and the extra money from these 2 seasons and the club is a million miles ahead of where it was after promotion.

There really does need to be some support for Wilder added very soon though. The club needs to hire people with knowledge of foreign transfer markets, hiring only players from this country doesn't work in the modern game.

No matter who's in charge if recruitment is not incredible over next two windows we are fucked. Championship as it stands is looking daunting.

• Banned
No matter who's in charge if recruitment is not incredible over next two windows we are fucked. Championship as it stands is looking daunting.

Disagree.

Nobody in this squad is good enough to be 'poached' away.....Unless selling to other Championship clubs.

McBurnie/Brewster/Burke is already more quality up top than the last season at that level.

Disagree.

Nobody in this squad is good enough to be 'poached' away.....Unless selling to other Championship clubs.

McBurnie/Brewster/Burke is already more quality up top than the last season at that level.
But without the momentum of just being promoted. This team is going to be on its arse going into next season.

Wilder has spunked decent moneh away on ordinary, uninspiring and not quite good enough players like Ramsdale, Berge, Moussett and Brewster as well as paying top dollar for the absolutely garbage McBurnie. He's signed an aged, past it defender in Jagielka and we still have Rodwell somewhere. What the fuck does he do because he certainly never appears on the team sheet?

Sorry, the buck stops with Wilder. He's been backed far more than any other manager at the club, ever! He was given a cow to take to market and all he got for it was a handful of crappy beans, which were far from magic.

.....And would more likely result in back to back relegations, than a relatively sharp return to the top flight.

I'm aware it sounds defeatist, the reality is, it's just realistic. There's not enough goals in this side to win the amount of games required to stay in this league, winning half the remaining games may not even be enough, and that's not going to happen anyway.

Wilder is unfortunate enough to be a victim of his own success. Had this been 12 months ago, it would have been more 'expected', and therefore more accepted. An exceptional league finish, which when examined more closely cannot be considered 'lucky', but certainly an over-achievement, has really damaged Wilder's reputation with Blades fans......But not those outside the club.

Why do fans of a Premier League Club, which fields the likes of Mcgoldrick, Fleck, Stevens, Basham, Norwood etc, expect better than the current league position?
The answer - Chris Wilder.

I did find it astounding time and time again last season when I was told that these Sheffield United players, specifically the likes of Norwood and Fleck, were 'Good Premier League players'.
I also seem to recall someone saying that Lundstrum, as a result of his contract situation, would likely be snapped up by the likes of Everton or West Ham.

I'm sorry, but not 1 player in that squad tonight, "Walks into" any side in this league.....Currently.
There's an argument that some of the better players, like Egan, could maybe get into Fulham's defence for example.....But given the way Parker has been setting them up, i'm not sure he's mobile enough to do so.

Wilder knows these players aren't good enough. Just read his comments again tonight.....

"The same players that played with that momentum and belief from last year are not doing it this year. Nothing has really changed, the league hasn't changed, Everton haven't really changed but our team has in terms of the lack of quality we are showing this year.
Good, experienced players who have played at this level for a season are not sticking their hand up and making my job easier."

The transfer policy is clearly the correct one, long term.
One exceptional season, or you could argue 2 if you include the promotion itself, just shows Wilder is ahead of schedule really.

The Club doesn't have the infrastructure in place to compete at this level currently, that's just the reality.
Assets in Ramsdale, Berge, Brewster, Lowe, Bogle, Mcburnie, Burke and the extra money from these 2 seasons and the club is a million miles ahead of where it was after promotion.

There really does need to be some support for Wilder added very soon though. The club needs to hire people with knowledge of foreign transfer markets, hiring only players from this country doesn't work in the modern game.

It can't be worse than this years recruitment some players tonight couldn't pass the ball

There is too much sentiment Wilder is incredible but it's like looking at a different photo this season it's not there we didn't get around there box never looked like scoring

• Banned
Wilder has spunked decent moneh away on ordinary, uninspiring and not quite good enough players like Ramsdale, Berge, Moussett and Brewster as well as paying top dollar for the absolutely garbage McBurnie. He's signed an aged, past it defender in Jagielka and we still have Rodwell somewhere. What the fuck does he do because he certainly never appears on the team sheet?

Sorry, the buck stops with Wilder. He's been backed far more than any other manager at the club, ever! He was given a cow to take to market and all he got for it was a handful of crappy beans, which were far from magic.

'Top dollar'?

Paying Championship prices, for Championship players, because the Club currently is the size and has the infrastructure of a Championship club.....
Delusions of Grandeur?

Although relegation can be expected sometimes, it is never expected to be the worse side in history. It's looking more and more likely that we'll break all the shittest team records going.

What schedule is he ahead of currently??
Because those players you mention are not assets. They are expensive flops and we've had our pants down a number of times. Nobody is going to want any of those players.

It is possible to bounce straight back after relegation, many teams have done it. However most of our players are going to be mentally scarred from the humiliation. They are a laughing stock and having the tag of been part of the worst side in history, won't be easy to shake off.

Although relegation can be expected sometimes, it is never expected to be the worse side in history. It's looking more and more likely that we'll break all the shittest team records going.

Because those players you mention are not assets. They are expensive flops and we've had our pants down a number of times. Nobody is going to want any of those players.

It is possible to bounce straight back after relegation, many teams have done it. However most of our players are going to be mentally scarred from the humiliation. They are a laughing stock and having the tag of been part of the worst side in history, won't be easy to shake off.
This

Those players are assets.
They are players who are capable of improving significantly over the next 'x' years, to players that have the ability to perform at this level.

Mcburnie, for example, is a proven top Championship striker and is therefore worth the exact fee that was paid.

Pay Championship prices, you generally get Championship players.
Buying them young, and improving them, is the only way to get 'value'.
Calling them 'flops' is a joke.

Those players are assets.
They are players who are capable of improving significantly over the next 'x' years, to players that have the ability to perform at this level.

Mcburnie, for example, is a proven top Championship striker and is therefore worth the exact fee that was paid.

Pay Championship prices, you generally get Championship players.
Buying them young, and improving them, is the only way to get 'value'.
Calling them 'flops' is a joke.

They are assets which we have massively over paid for. We will NOT get our money back on them so we will have lost significant £ on them which will mean we will have to cut back in future recruitment.

They "are" flops. they are currently on course to be the worst side in PL history. What other name would you give them?

Buying them young, we definitely did that. Improving them 😂. Their value has plummeted, we wouldn't get anywhere near half of what we paid for them right now. Nevermind having the worst team in history tagged to them. They are worth whatever someone pays for them and we aren't going to get our money back.

Mcburnie has scored all of 5/6 goals in 40/50 appearances. And is now seen as big lump upfront. Brewster has passed one back to the keeper so far and ramesdale flops everytime he dives.

When is a good time to change ?
Do you still keep Wilder if we don't win all season or don't get in to double figures?
How many games do you give in the championship 5, 10, 20? What if we're bottom and still haven't won?

Asset and asset of increasing value are two very different things. All our players are assets. But none of them are currently worth what we paid for them.

They are assets which we have massively over paid for. We will NOT get our money back on them so we will have lost significant £ on them which will mean we will have to cut back in future recruitment.

They "are" flops. they are currently on course to be the worst side in PL history. What other name would you give them?

So you're calling signings which have been made with the intention of progressing the club in the long term, short term flops?

Who were you hoping to replace Billy Sharp and David Mcgoldrick with?
Two 32 year old free transfers, and be in the same position again 12-24 months time?

It's clear Brewster/Ramsdale/Mcburnie etc have been bought with the intention of being important players in the side for years.

Disagree.

I disagree, pal. Egan is carrying us at the moment and consistently being a '7 out of ten' every week in this team is nothing short of 'Premier quality'. Baldock would easily slip into a reliable right-back role in a few Prem teams. He has never let us down. Both would, in my opinion, be well worth a punt for next season for other teams.

UTB

I disagree, pal. Egan is carrying us at the moment and consistently being a '7 out of ten' every week in this team is nothing short of 'Premier quality'. Baldock would easily slip into a reliable right-back role in a few Prem teams. He has never let us down. Both would, in my opinion, be well worth a punt for next season for other teams.

UTB

Being a stand out player in what is currently the worst side at this stage in Premier League history, is not evidence of 'Premier quality'.

Egan/Baldock's age don't do them any favours either.
Far better value and quality abroad.

Being a stand out player in what is currently the worst side at this stage in Premier League history, is not evidence of 'Premier quality'.

Egan/Baldock's age don't do them any favours either.
Far better value and quality abroad.
If you were Manager of Burnley, Southampton, Palace, possibly Everton, as well as the three promoted teams, are you seriously telling me you wouldn't want Egan in your team/squad? A tried and trusted international with a 'warrior' attitude who will never give you a minute's problem on very reasonable wages? He's a complete 'stand out' player for us, regardless of how shit we are.
Playing with much better players every week will also enhance his game.
He'll be wanted.
UTB

Yes I'm calling them flops, because that is what they currently are. We spent circa £60 million on those 3 and we are much worse side for it. That's a decent wedge that should be improving you as a side. We are as bad as it gets for the league we're in. That money will hamper further recruitment, as the budget is blown.

I hope they do improve, but they seem to be going backwards at an alarming rate. And being a laughing stock is hardly going to improve their confidence. If you think they're suddenly going to become world beaters in the championship after being humiliated, then you're in for quite a shock.

You didn't answer the questions on when the right time to change would be. Or are you saying that Wilder should stay regardless of what happens for the rest of this season and next?

UTB

For me, this is Egans defence, and he cant corral them to a clean sheet. Hes a captain, and he needs to lead better on and off the pitch imo. And its safe to say none of our players are carrying us, unless its to 2 points in 15 games.

I think our players qualities are far more known to us than they are to any premier league team. Looking at the championship and some of the players currently there, i think our squad comfortably goes down (if we do) with 0 offers.

If you were Manager of Burnley, Southampton, Palace, possibly Everton, as well as the three promoted teams, are you seriously telling me you wouldn't want Egan in your team/squad? A tried and trusted international with a 'warrior' attitude who will never give you a minute's problem on very reasonable wages? He's a complete 'stand out' player for us, regardless of how shit we are.
Playing with much better players every week will also enhance his game.
He'll be wanted.
UTB

I could engage in an argument with you, about the fact that Everton paying £25 million for Godfrey (4th choice CB for Everton by the way), which the same fee would most likely have been able to sign Egan, suggests that no, a side like Everton would not want Egan.

The reality is, Egan is just a younger Scott Dann.
Yes he's a 'warrior', but he's not mobile enough and makes too many basic errors for the top half sides in this league to be looking at him.
Take West Ham, who are 10th, he doesn't get ahead of Ogbonna/Diop.

The fact you're only talking about 1 player suggests the reality is there's just a real lack of quality for this level.

Yes I'm calling them flops, because that is what they currently are. We spent circa £60 million on those 3 and we are much worse side for it. That's a decent wedge that should be improving you as a side. We are as bad as it gets for the league we're in. That money will hamper further recruitment, as the budget is blown.

I hope they do improve, but they seem to be going backwards at an alarming rate. And being a laughing stock is hardly going to improve their confidence. If you think they're suddenly going to become world beaters in the championship after being humiliated, then you're in for quite a shock.

You didn't answer the questions on when the right time to change would be. Or are you saying that Wilder should stay regardless of what happens for the rest of this season and next?

Wilder stays for the rest of the season regardless, and all of next to.

He's got a terrific young set of forwards for the level below.....
Miles better than what was there last time in Mcgoldrick/Sharp.

Wilder stays for the rest of the season regardless, and all of next to.

He's got a terrific young set of forwards for the level below.....
Miles better than what was there last time in Mcgoldrick/Sharp.
Has to stay regardless, this season and next ????? So if we're 15 games in and still no win next season, he still stays?

No further comment, that will be all.

Has to stay regardless, this season and next ????? So if we're 15 games in and still no win next season, he still stays?

No further comment, that will be all.

You're ignoring anything that happens between now and then.

And this side doesn't fail to win in 15 championship games.

I could engage in an argument with you, about the fact that Everton paying £25 million for Godfrey (4th choice CB for Everton by the way), which the same fee would most likely have been able to sign Egan, suggests that no, a side like Everton would not want Egan.

The reality is, Egan is just a younger Scott Dann.
Yes he's a 'warrior', but he's not mobile enough and makes too many basic errors for the top half sides in this league to be looking at him.
Take West Ham, who are 10th, he doesn't get ahead of Ogbonna/Diop.

The fact you're only talking about 1 player suggests the reality is there's just a real lack of quality for this level.
I'm really not looking for an 'argument' with anyone. I agree, Everton was probably a bad example, but you implied that 'none of our players would be wanted by other Prem clubs'. I disagreed and quoted two of our players that I think would be wanted with clubs I think would be better off for Egans' signature. I never mentioned 'top 10'.
Yes, Egan has an occasional 'mistake' in him. Can you quote me a defender this season who hasn't? Generally, his excellent positioning makes up for his lack of pace. Others in the past have had the same problem but have not suffered because of it due to the fact that they played in much better teams.
And yes, it's patently obvious that we lack quality. no one on here will disagree with that, I'm sure.
We are dire, but not all our players are culpable, in my opinion.
UTB

I'm really not looking for an 'argument' with anyone. I agree, Everton was probably a bad example, but you implied that 'none of our players would be wanted by other Prem clubs'. I disagreed and quoted two of our players that I think would be wanted with clubs I think would be better off for Egans' signature. I never mentioned 'top 10'.
Yes, Egan has an occasional 'mistake' in him. Can you quote me a defender this season who hasn't? Generally, his excellent positioning makes up for his lack of pace. Others in the past have had the same problem but have not suffered because of it due to the fact that they played in much better teams.
And yes, it's patently obvious that we lack quality. no one on here will disagree with that, I'm sure.
We are dire, but not all our players are culpable, in my opinion.
UTB

He is the leader of a defence with 0 clean sheets this season. Why would anybody sign him, objectively?

You're ignoring anything that happens between now and then.

And this side doesn't fail to win in 15 championship games.
You're ignoring everything that happens till now and then by saying he stays regardless.

No side has had only 2 points from 15 top flight games before us. This side is more than capable of breaking a whole host of other unwanted records.

He is the leader of a defence with 0 clean sheets this season. Why would anybody sign him, objectively?
Because surely you sign the 'player', not the stats. The lack of a clean sheet is a 'team failing'. He is performing relatively well in a difficult environment.
Surely, you get that, even if you disagree with the opinion.
UTB

You're ignoring everything that happens till now and then by saying he stays regardless.

No side has had only 2 points from 15 top flight games before us. This side is more than capable of breaking a whole host of other unwanted records.

Wilder stays because in my honest opinion, him leaving is highly likely to result in the club returning to the state before he arrived.

He's massively overachieved

Because surely you sign the 'player', not the stats. The lack of a clean sheet is a 'team failing'. He is performing relatively well in a difficult environment.
Surely, you get that, even if you disagree with the opinion.
UTB

That's true.
An individual can be let down by the quality/ability of their team mates.

But I was talking about sides looking at Blades players as signings to improve them significantly.
You're making it sound like sides would take Egan because he would cost pittance.....There's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom