Player Suggestion Jack Wilshere

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You could argue too much quality as they can’t get a game/club!
We have a system, a system that considers both defence and attack, and they do not fit that system. We do not have the budget to splurge on players, who won’t do work off the ball. In a couple of seasons, hopefully, we have the budget to allow us to change system/personnel without losing quality. At present we don’t. What we have achieved in last few seasons is nothing short of a miracle, given the odds against us; to ask so many L1 players to step up and actually compete in PL is statistically improbable. To abandon this system/structure for champagne football is utter lunacy especially when we have seen how quickly PL teams can rip you apart. We are evolving and mistakes will be made along the way but a dressing room full of, admittedly, average players running through brick walls for a manager they believe in is far greater than a couple of pleasing on the eye charlatans. This is after all a team game.
Mate... You yourself set the terms for a signing when you said "minimal outlay". And for minimal outlay I would take them no questions asked. You can't later change your argument to be based on their price...

Mate... You yourself set the terms for a signing when you said "minimal outlay". And for minimal outlay I would take them no questions asked. You can't later change your argument to be based on their price...
I was using irony to mock Order’s persistent ‘pay as you play’ claims.

Look, we need a squad of £20m+ players without having the budget to buy half a dozen £20m+ players. So we either need to take a punt on lower league players, hoping they can make the step up or try to resurrect the career of quality players that have gone off the rails. The likes of Sturridge, Wellbeck, Wilshire are all fairly recent England internationals, if the price is right we can’t be ignorant to consider a calculated risk. Especially as our academy seems to have dried up.

If our business model is based around hoping moderately priced lower league players continually emerge as surprise diamonds, we’ll eventually get relegated.

Look, we need a squad of £20m+ players without having the budget to buy half a dozen £20m+ players. So we either need to take a punt on lower league players, hoping they can make the step up or try to resurrect the career of quality players that have gone off the rails. The likes of Sturridge, Wellbeck, Wilshire are all fairly recent England internationals, if the price is right we can’t be ignorant to consider a calculated risk. Especially as our academy seems to have dried up.

If our business model is based around hoping moderately priced lower league players continually emerge as surprise diamonds, we’ll eventually get relegated.
And if we build a team out of crocked has-beens based on their short periods of excellence we’ll go the same way

And if we build a team out of crocked has-beens based on their short periods of excellence we’ll go the same way
Where have I said that exactly? I said we need to consider calculated risks. McG was a ‘crocked has-been’ no?

Reactions: CW7
My other issue is, if he has actually been fit for the last 8 months, why didn’t he get picked by West Ham? A team that was struggling.

Either he wasn’t fit and is still a sick note, or he is fit but wasn’t but impressing either in training or the limited appearances he did make for the Hammers.

Maybe financial decision ie he gets paid more if he plays

Southampton are doing it signing Theo Walcott

Wilshire could go either way, he might end up another Woodgate at Stoke or Rooney at Derby.

or maybe it's bringing Freeman back at some point.

I think we all agree, we need something.

If bringing Freeman back is an option he would never have gone in the first place......clearly not in CW's plans and I dare say if Forest could have afforded his wages he would have gone on a permanent.

Isn't Wilshere even slower than Norwood these days? Oli's unfortunate lack of pace is presumably the only reason he's now on the bench.

That and his inability to beat the first man on crosses, corners and free kicks 90% of the time................almost as predictable as Billy Sharp falling over 90% of the time the ball gets anywhere near him....

Where have I said that exactly? I said we need to consider calculated risks. McG was a ‘crocked has-been’ no?
Where you’ve said that we need to consider signing Sturridge, Welbeck and Wilshere.

We weren’t in the Premier League when we signed McG and the fact that he turned out to be a successful gamble should not mean that we then try to endlessly repeat it.

If he's fit, big if, then what's to lose by offering him a trial and go from there. We did it with Morrison who hasn't had the career Whilshire has and had a mixed reputation.

Seems he may well link up with Gerrard at Rangers though.

I'm not sure.
It goes in levels and West Ham was his chance at that level.
- Prem, Southern, overpayers.
He now loses one if not two of those.

He's now in, lower spending Premiership territory, fail there and he might make 'Championship huge wage wasters'.
It's got Rangers stuck all over it. League one standard oppo most weeks, and an odd game against a Championship side where he can shine.

EDIT: Rochdaleblade got there before me.

Where you’ve said that we need to consider signing Sturridge, Welbeck and Wilshere.

We weren’t in the Premier League when we signed McG and the fact that he turned out to be a successful gamble should not mean that we then try to endlessly repeat it.
I didn’t say ‘endlessly repeat it’ either. I said until we have the money to buy a premier league squad we need to take calculated risks. McG was precisely that kind of risk. If it paid off all the time, it wouldn’t be a risk.

It's got Rangers stuck all over it. League one standard oppo most weeks, and an odd game against a Championship side where he can shine.

EDIT: Rochdaleblade got there before me.
I wonder how this would impact Lunny's chance of securing a pre-contract at Ibrox in January. That's all gone quiet after some initial interest - I suspect this is the reason why.

I don’t think he would be up for a Covid winter in Sheffield on 20k per week.

Back
Top Bottom