Josh King

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I dont think his opinion is any different. He's always banging on about having a budget to work with, he wants an increase and needs one but he knows the limitations.

By the way, we had to return at least £20m of TV money.

I thought I had read that the total of TV money rebate was to he £320m which included overseas TV. So £16m each PL club to be paid back over 2 seasons. This is to be paid back by each PL club getting £8m less in their annual TV payments that they are due to receive this pre season and next.

Newly promoted teams from the Championship also have to pay their share too, so Leeds and West Brom and either Business Model or Fulham also have to pay so will also get a £16m decrease in the amounts they would usually receive in the next two TV payments.

Of course i'm not, i'm a fan not a director. I'm just saying if we are to build on last season we have to think bigger and spend more on fees/wages. That's what Wilder wants so it has to happen or we stand a big chance of regression. Not rocket science.
Wilder has said he wants progression. He’s not said anything about that requiring more to be spent on fees and wages. That’s your take on it.
I’ve said many times on here that I think we’ll top last seasons spend in this window but I just don’t see new players being parachutes in on double the wages or those already here and performing.

Wilder has said he wants progression. He’s not said anything about that requiring more to be spent on fees and wages. That’s your take on it.

So saying we will have a better squad next season is not progression?

Where has he said anything about more needs to be spent or invested which is what you’re claiming? That’s your view of the world and not what he’s said at all.
He could progress the squad and stay within the wage bill if he wanted. If we replace those leaving with better quality players within our current wage bill then we’ve improved. As I said above I believe there will be a controlled increase in wage bill but that will be driven by a higher paid average rather than brining in players at the top end who are paid much more than our top performers.
You seem to want us to break down what we have in place in order to jump a couple of seasons forward and chase the dream rather than building to that position. I think your way destroys the dressing room so I don’t think it will happen and we’ll build the right way and the way which has worked for us for the past 4 seasons. It’s our togetherness which is driving our success and that is incredibly difficult to build.

Last edited:
Where has he said anything about more needs to be spent or invested which is what you’re claiming? That’s your view of the world and not what he’s said at all.
He could progress the squad and stay within the wage bill if he wanted. If we replace those leaving with quality players within our current wage bill then we’ve improved.
You seem to want us to break down what we have in place in order to jump a couple of seasons forward rather than building to that position. I think your way destroys the dressing room so I don’t think it will happen and we’ll build the right way and the way which has worked for us for the past 4 seasons.

You couldn't be more wrong. Fish in a bigger pond you need better tackle and skills. No way Wilder thinks we can improve on the same wage structure, not a chance. If you think that then you don't understand the manager. It will be a natural progression enhanced due to the success of this season. The squad needs 3 or 4 class players to make the progression and they will be expensive like it or not. As for the dressing room unrest our current players are signing new contracts, do you think these aren't big wage increases?

It's called progression, it's what Wilder does don't expect us to be little old cautious Sheffield United anymore.

Better doesn’t mean more money has to be spent. This is something that Wilder has proven to be false during his time here and it’s something I pointed out during the season we got promoted to the Premiership, when I was told we had to spend X amount on Sam Gallagher instead of signing McGoldrick on a free if we wanted to get promoted. It’s also the reason Wednesday are in the shit

Better doesn’t mean more money has to be spent. This is something that Wilder has proven to be false during his time here and it’s something I pointed out during the season we got promoted to the Premiership, when I was told we had to spend X amount on Sam Gallagher instead of signing McGoldrick on a free if we wanted to get promoted. It’s also the reason Wednesday are in the shit

Wages does

My god, 17th do ya?

Fuckin some Blades do my block in, lets go backwards then, next season 17th, season after Championship, then Legaue 1.

WE ARE A TOP 10 PREM CLUB FFS

Ok, you’re correct. We absolutely have to spend loads otherwise we won’t make any sort of progression, the past three/four season disproving this fact have all been a dream. That make you feel better?

Ok, you’re correct. We absolutely have to spend loads otherwise we won’t make any sort of progression, the past three/four season disproving this fact have all been a dream. That make you feel better?

In your words:

To go from L1 to the Championship you don't have to spend loads

To go from the Championship to the EPL you don't have to spend loads either

To go from 9th to 6th in the EPL yeah you have to spend loads.

You couldn't be more wrong. Fish in a bigger pond you need better tackle and skills. No way Wilder thinks we can improve on the same wage structure, not a chance. If you think that then you don't understand the manager. It will be a natural progression enhanced due to the success of this season. The squad needs 3 or 4 class players to make the progression and they will be expensive like it or not. As for the dressing room unrest our current players are signing new contracts, do you think these aren't big wage increases?

It's called progression, it's what Wilder does don't expect us to be little old cautious Sheffield United anymore.
You’re talking about £50k/week plus to multiple signings so no I don’t think Bash’s new contract will be at that level.
I suspect that’s what Lunny may be after and why he’s not signed anything and he’ll rightly be disappointed by the club.

We are going to progress this as from my perspective you keep mentioning Wilder and what he thinks and what his view would be, and it seems to be directly opposite from everything I’ve taken from his interviews and overall ethos over the past 4 years.
You seem to firmly believe that progress is only possible by blowing our wage bill way beyond our current means, and it’s just wrong and quite staggering after what we’ve achieved.
We secured Berge for gods sake only 7 months ago and without blowing the budgets.
We will spend this summer, in fact I think we’ll break our transfer record again, the wage bill will be increased but neither amount of spending will match your expectations because as he’s stated again after the awards night we’re using Burnley as a template not Wolves. We’ll build and improve season on season, not look to get ahead of ourselves.

A lot of folk here seem to think it's a straight choice between capping wages at $20k or so a week or moving to $50k+. The couple of comments about the Burnley model of wage progression seem more likely to me. I expect to see any big (for us) signings in the $30k - $40k / week bracket. This doesn't put King completely out of the picture if he's desperate to play in a top 10 PL team and wants a fair chance of starting most games. Who else can offer that?
Personally, I'd be more excited about King if WUM hadn't sold me the impossible dream about Isak. On the other hand, the prospect of Berge, King and Big Mac Burnie all in the same team is mouth watering (and may go a long way in persuading Moose to stay).

Ok, you’re correct. We absolutely have to spend loads otherwise we
In your words:

To go from L1 to the Championship you don't have to spend loads

To go from the Championship to the EPL you don't have to spend loads either

To go from 9th to 6th in the EPL yeah you have to spend loads.

I never said we have to spend loads to go from 9th to 6th in the EPL.

Since our promotion from League 1 our own fans have been saying we need to spend loads in order to compete, we’ve been promoted since then and finished 9th without spending ridiculously. There are players available who would cost less but would improve us, it’s about finding them. Wilder and his team have so far shown that they can do it. I’ve argued this with a few on here for several seasons now and so far I’ve been right every time.

If increasing our spend on wages equals ‘progression’ as you suggest then we should just sign Steven Fletcher, he’s available on a free but his wages at Wednesday were fairly extortionate.

It’s easy to fall into the trap that spending money will guarantee ‘progression’ (ask Wednesday), thankfully we’ve got a manager and backroom staff who don’t subscribe to that

You’re talking about £50k/week plus to multiple signings so no I don’t think Bash’s new contract will be at that level.
I suspect that’s what Lunny may be after and why he’s not signed anything and he’ll rightly be disappointed by the club.

We are going to progress this as from my perspective you keep mentioning Wilder and what he thinks and what his view would be, and it seems to be directly opposite from everything I’ve taken from his interviews and overall ethos over the past 4 years.
We will spend this summer, the wage bill will be increased but neither will match your expectations because as he’s stated again after the awards night we’re using Burnley as a template not Wolves. We’ll build and improve season on season, not look to get ahead of ourselves.

Fuck Burnley, they are the next Bournemouth.

I never said we have to spend loads to go from 9th to 6th in the EPL.

Since our promotion from League 1 our own fans have been saying we need to spend loads in order to compete, we’ve been promoted since then and finished 9th without spending beyond our means. There are players available who would cost less but would improve us, it’s about finding them. Wilder and his team have so far shown that they can do it. I’ve argued this with a few on here for several seasons now and so far I’ve been right every

If increasing our spend on wages equals ‘progression’ as you suggest then we should just sign Steven Fletcher, he’s available on a free but his wages at Wednesday were fairly extortionate.

It’s easy to fall into the trap that spending money will guarantee ‘progression’ (ask Wednesday), thankfully we’ve got a manager and backroom staff who don’t subscribe to that

Stop comparing apples and oranges. Steven Fletcher will do to get a job in Greggs next, I'm talking about top young players that will take the Blades first team over Man City's U23 squad. £50k for a top young player is nothing in today's market.

Fuck Burnley, they are the next Bournemouth.
That’s who Wilder has repeatedly said we’re looking to replicate. As I said you’ll be disappointed because you’re wanting and expecting more than this club can deliver at the moment.
Hopefully we’ll build and eventually climb above them but that’s what we’re looking to emulate. 5-6 years in the league and improving year on year.

That’s who Wilder has repeatedly said we’re looking to replicate. As I said you’ll be disappointed because you’re wanting and expecting more than them club can deliver at the moment.
Hopefully we’ll build and eventually climb above them but that’s what we’re looking to emulate. 5-6 years in the league and improving year on year.

Climb above Burnley who finished lower than us this season and we wankered 3-0 at the Lane and played them off the park at their place? In our first season? Jeez

Why would you want new players coming in and getting more than those who have got us here and stayed loyal to our team? If I were JoC and someone is brought in on 20k more than me I’d be expecting a new deal to be offered my way PDQ.

Depends who it is. King is a Premier League striker with many seasons of proven experience. JOC has played one season. Now if we sign a Championship defender on more money, then he has a point...

Stop comparing apples and oranges. Steven Fletcher will do to get a job in Greggs next, I'm talking about top young players that will take the Blades first team over Man City's U23 squad. £50k for a top young player is nothing in today's market.

So which ‘top young player’ is guaranteed to improve our team?

We could sign Sancho from Dortmund and pay him 200k a week but he may not improve our team, as great an individual he is. We once paid James Beattie way more than we could afford and it turned out that our performances improved after we sold him.

How did Leicester manage to win the league without a wage bill as high as Manchester City? As I said, you’re falsely equating paying more in wages with a guarantee of success.

So which ‘top young player’ is guaranteed to improve our team?

We could sign Sancho from Dortmund and pay him 200k a week but he may not improve our team, as great an individual he is. We once paid James Beattie way more than we could afford and it turned out that our performances improved after we sold him.

How did Leicester manage to win the league without a wage bill as high as Manchester City? As I said, you’re falsely equating paying more in wages with a guarantee of success.

You are a 17th person aren't you. Me i'm a 9th minimum type of guy and I know you don't accumulate unless you speculate.

You are a 17th person aren't you. Me i'm a 9th minimum type of guy and I know you don't accumulate unless you speculate.

No but I can see that you don’t understand anything I’m saying so if it makes you feel better then yes.

How did Leicester manage to win the league with a wage bill much lower than Man City?

No but I can see that you don’t understand anything I’m saying so if it makes you feel better then yes.

How did Leicester manage to win the league with a wage bill much lower than Man City?

They planted some magic beans?

You don't get me sunny, i'm not saying spend like Man City, but spend wisely like Leicester did and we will progress.

Fuck me, took a while but I’m glad we got there in the end.

Got where? You were banging on about being Burnley and aspiring to be them even though we finished above them.

That's like the pigs aspiring to be Barnsley.

Don't take everything that comes out of Wilders mouth as red.

Climb above Burnley who finished lower than us this season and we wankered 3-0 at the Lane and played them off the park at their place? In our first season? Jeez
If you believe we’re as established as Burnley in the Premier League then you’re a fool.
If we finish higher than them 3 years running and put them away home and away then maybe I’d share your arrogance and dismissive attitude. They’ve built a team who have stayed in this league for much longer than we’ve ever been here, dispute not having the resources of most of the others. Thankfully Wilder and the club don’t, as I said he mentioned it again in his most recent interview.

If you believe we’re as established as Burnley in the Premier League then you’re a fool.
If we finish higher than them 3 years running and put them away home and away then maybe I’d share your arrogance and dismissive attitude. They’ve built a team who have stayed in this league for much longer than we’ve ever been here, dispute not having the resources of most of the others. Thankfully Wilder and the club don’t, as I said he mentioned it again in his most recent interview.

So many live in the past. I am not arrogant just not a hermit like you. And you have no idea where the Prince and Wilder want to take us.

Get in your Delorean and go and go back to Adkins, I think you are happier with the shit times and no ambition.

So many live in the past.
And many live in computer management games which bare no resemblance to reality.
Spunking money way beyond our means doesn’t equal success. Beating our transfer record each season and carefully building our wage bill in line with our turnover like Burnley, gives us long term stability.
Just look at all those sides who tried to do it the quick and easy way but are now broken and in free fall down the leagues.
I want us to be an established top 10 side every year, not a couple of season wonders and then another long term trip to the lower leagues.

I am not arrogant just not a hermit like you. And you have no idea where the Prince and Wilder want to take us.
I’m actually telling you to listen to what he’s said only last night. I’d say that a better idea than you just making it up.
Get in your Delorean and go and go back to Adkins, I think you are happier with the shit times and no ambition.
Nice Straw man. You’re clearly out on your arse.
How is increasing the wage bill each year and beating our transfer record showing no ambition?
You aren’t making sense and getting nasty because your nonsensical argument is being easily pulled apart. If you can’t discuss it without getting upset, put me on mute and kid yourself that ignorance is bliss.

Fuck me, took a while but I’m glad we got there in the end.
No he wants us to spend like Leicester did after they won the league and had Champions League funding. Although we’ve not won the league or got that funding, but that’s the boards problem. And he’s not being unrealistic, apparently.

Last edited:
And many live in computer management games which bare no resemblance to reality.
Spunking money way beyond our means doesn’t equal success. Beating our transfer record each season and carefully building our wage bill in line with our turnover like Burnley, gives us long term stability.
Just look at all those sides who tried to do it the quick and easy way but are now broken and in free fall down the leagues.
I want us to be an established top 10 side every year, not a couple of season wonders and then another long term trip to the lower leagues.

Then you have to push the wage bill up which is what I said all along. Top 10 is tough and you have to keep spending to stay there.

This is the EPL not the EFL.

Then you have to push the wage bill up which is what I said all along. Top 10 is tough and you have to keep spending to stay there.

This is the EPL not the EFL.
You haven’t suggested pushing the wage bill up, you’ve been suggesting blowing it out the water with several 50k/week signings including for kids.
That’s what everyone is disagreeing with, not increasing the wage bill in a sensible manner.

Back
Top Bottom