Josh King

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I can't fathom it. "17th is the target next season", why? We just finished 9th. "We can't pay them big wages" Why? We have an ambitious manager and owner.

It's like some can't adjust their minds to today's Blades.
Not seen one single person.say either of those things

Surely now the existing first team have all signed contracts bar Egan, we can start offering higher wages to incoming players.

they’re all contracted for 2-3 years, so are now a fixed cost which won’t increase as we bring in marquee signings.

if we are going to improve, we will have to start paying higher wages sooner or later...
Why would you want new players coming in and getting more than those who have got us here and stayed loyal to our team? If I were JoC and someone is brought in on 20k more than me I’d be expecting a new deal to be offered my way PDQ.

Why would you want new players coming in and getting more than those who have got us here and stayed loyal to our team? If I were JoC and someone is brought in on 20k more than me I’d be expecting a new deal to be offered my way PDQ.
Just to play devils advocate. In a Ideal world those signings would be better players. Although we cant say that with our lot as they keep getting better and better.

Just to play devils advocate. In a Ideal world those signings would be better players. Although we cant say that with our lot as they keep getting better and better.
Once they’ve proven that in a Blades shirt then they’ll get a rise as part of a new deal.

He will be on bonuses on top of the £45k already. So probably for like £55/60k

No chance as we have a wage structure. Just because we're a Premier League club doesn't mean we can afford to pay people high wages. Our second most expensive player of all time is on a basic wage of £20k pw. I doubt we'll be paying much higher for anyone else.
Will you please stop posting completely negative bollocks. You are boring me shitless.

Will you please stop posting completely negative bollocks. You are boring me shitless.

If more fans understood the concept of realism, I wouldn't have to..........

All I'm saying is that we need to manage expectations. We've all played FM/CM and like to dream but there seem to be some fans with genuine expectations which simply are never going to be met. It's unfair to both manager and chairman.

There's thread after thread of completely unrealistic transfer targets in here. No doubt there will be angry posters when we don't spend £100 million on several world class signings.

If more fans understood the concept of realism, I wouldn't have to..........

All I'm saying is that we need to manage expectations.

There's thread after thread of completely unrealistic transfer targets in here. No doubt there will be angry posters when we don't spend £100 million on several world class signings.
What will be will be Robbie. Appreciate today and don't dwell on the past or worry about tomorrow.

What's realistic for a team that has just finished 9th in the EPL? We started out this season to stay up so of course the recruitment was inline with the target as relegation was very close to that target. Now we smashed that and we have a Manager that won't accept regression what is now realistic? Wilder says we will have a better squad next season which suggests he has eyes on another top 10 finish pushing for Europe, to achieve that we can't just keep picking up players on £20k per week. Paying £50k+ a week for players to improve us is going to have to happen if Wilder is to back up his words and i'm sure he will.

What's realistic for a team that has just finished 9th in the EPL? We started out this season to stay up so of course the recruitment was inline with the target as relegation was very close to that target. Now we smashed that and we have a Manager that won't accept regression what is now realistic? Wilder says we will have a better squad next season which suggests he has eyes on another top 10 finish pushing for Europe, to achieve that we can't just keep picking up players on £20k per week. Paying £50k+ a week for players to improve us is going to have to happen if Wilder is to back up his words and i'm sure he will.

I don't think its realistic to jump from paying players £1 million pa to £2.5 million pa in the space of a few months.

Wilder has always said we have a wage structure. Signings will normally be within that structure. I suspect we might pay more for Hendo but there's probably a fee involved and not just pauing him twice as much as the next player. Plus, as a loan signing it's a bit different.

I suspect that wages will rise next season, but not by 150%. More like 25%.

Imagine. Say, just for example, that JoC is on 20k and we sign someone on 50k. JoC is going to go and ask for parity or something near that. And he wouldn't be alone. When he doesn't get it (we do not have a rich owner compared to most of the league) he'll probably look at clubs like Villa and think he can double his money somewhere else and wonder if he's better off somewhere else. It;s not like we're guaranteed to do well and footballers only have short careers.

Look at Wednesday. play-offs places in December then some of the players revolt and relegation form since. As I've said before, our team is much better than the sum of its part. Damage the team spirit and we're potentially in trouble.

I don't think its realistic to jump from paying players £1 million pa to £2.5 million pa in the space of a few months.

Wilder has always said we have a wage structure. Signings will normally be within that structure. I suspect we might pay more for Hendo but there's probably a fee involved and not just pauing him twice as much as the next player. Plus, as a loan signing it's a bit different.

I suspect that wages will rise next season, but not by 150%. More like 25%.

Imagine. Say, just for example, that JoC is on 20k and we sign someone on 50k. JoC is going to go and ask for parity or something near that. And he wouldn't be alone. When he doesn't get it (we do not have a rich owner compared to most of the league) he'll probably look at clubs like Villa and think he can double his money somewhere else and wonder if he's better off somewhere else. It;s not like we're guaranteed to do well and footballers only have short careers.

Look at Wednesday. play-offs places in December then some of the players revolt and relegation form since. As I've said before, our team is much better than the sum of its part. Damage the team spirit and we're potentially in trouble.

All of what you say is negative and small minded. We have just finished 9th in the best league in the world and the Manager has said he wants more next season. If we had just avoided relegation and had Gary Monk as Manager I would be saying the same.

Think bigger.

All of what you say is negative and small minded. We have just finished 9th in the best league in the world and the Manager has said he wants more next season. If we had just avoided relegation and had Gary Monk as Manager I would be saying the same.

Think bigger.

where is the money? Someone has to pay for all this.

where is the money? Someone has to pay for all this.

I can't answer that. The biggest teams in this division spunk £100k+ on squad players, we won't. But to improve on last season we have to attract the players just below that bracket which are say £50k+

If we don't then we will most likely go backwards and that's not Wilders plan.

Let's leave the funding problem to the Prince and his team, I'm sure he has a plan that won't take us backwards.

I can't answer that. The biggest teams in this division spunk £100k+ on squad players, we won't. But to improve on last season we have to attract the players just below that bracket which are say £50k+

If we don't then we will most likely go backwards and that's not Wilders plan.

Let's leave the funding problem to the Prince and his team, I'm sure he has a plan that won't take us backwards.

I suspect we'll adopt a similar approach to Burnley. Gradually build it up. Teams like Bournemouth has spent years in the top flight and increased their wages every year. We can't just jump into the same bracket unless we suddenly have an injection of funds, but we have a manager who has spent his career getting more out of players than anyone else.

I suspect we'll adopt a similar approach to Burnley. Gradually build it up. Teams like Bournemouth has spent years in the top flight and increased their wages every year. We can't just jump into the same bracket unless we suddenly have an injection of funds, but we have a manager who has spent his career getting more out of players than anyone else.

I do get where you are coming from but I think we will be thinking bigger than Burnley (I suspect they may struggle next season). Like I said who knows where the Prince will pull funds from but I suspect he has backers.

What's realistic? Whatever is in the budget. It's a very dangerous place to be financially, thinking you've arrived after one season.

I like Wilders opinion more than yours (no offence).
Wilders said nothing about blowing our wage bill in order to make the step up. In fact if anything he’s said the exact opposite, that we don’t pay what everyone else will but that’s our way. He’s also very much said we’ll follow the Burnley model so you seem to be highly selective about listening to what he’s said.
The wage bill will increase in a controlled manner with our revenues. I’d expect the likes of Eagan and JoC to be offered a new contracts at 50k first, if they continue to perform and then others including new players will follow but I can’t see us bringing in several over the summer on more than are established players get. That’s just asking for huge trouble, just as doubling or tripling our wage bill without securing additional Premier League revenue would be.
If players perform for us they get rewarded and I can’t see us blowing what’s worked for us and kept us on our current trajectory just in order to secure a signing who doesn’t think they need to fit in with us.

I dont think his opinion is any different. He's always banging on about having a budget to work with, he wants an increase and needs one but he knows the limitations.

By the way, we had to return at least £20m of TV money.

Progression costs, lets see what happens and how serious the Prince is backing Wilders plans for improvement. You can't improve on on 9th first season in without a sizable spending increase on wages.

Wilders said nothing about blowing our wage bill in order to make the step up. In fact if anything he’s said the exact opposite, that we don’t pay what everyone else will but that’s our way.
The wage bill will increase in a controlled manner with our revenues. I’d expect the likes of Eagan and JoC to be offered a new contracts at 50k first, if they continue to perform and then others including new players to follow but I can’t see us bringing in several over the summer on more than are established players get. That’s just asking for huge trouble, just as doubling or tripling our wage bill without securing additional Premier League revenue would be.

Wilder isn't daft is my response. What he says and does are 2 different things. I'm not saying we are going to be on a par with Wolves etc. but he knows to get 9th and above next season he's going to have to spend and increase the wages on new signings. Really is 2+2=4 unless Chris is happy to take a backwards step?

Progression costs, lets see what happens and how serious the Prince is backing Wilders plans for improvement. You can't improve on on 9th first season in without a sizable spending increase on wages.
But you aren’t saying where this increase is coming from. The Prince doesn’t have the money to supply it and we’ve had to give money back on the TV deal, so how are you funding this sizeable increase?

Wilder isn't daft is my response. What he says and does are 2 different things. I'm not saying we are going to be on a par with Wolves etc. but he knows to get 9th and above next season he's going to have to spend and increase the wages on new signings. Really is 2+2=4 unless Chris is happy to take a backwards step?
I think you’re overly focused on league position. I think CW is more bothered about team and squad progression rather than purely league position. It’s not 8th or bust.
I think we’ll do very similar to what we did in the Championship. We’ll strengthen within our means and have a better, stronger team and squad ready for next year. We didn’t go and try and match most of the top 10 in the league’s spending or wage bill. We’ll do the same here and look for value rather than big names on big contracts.

But you aren’t saying where this increase is coming from. The Prince doesn’t have the money to supply it and we’ve had to give money back on the TV deal, so how are you funding this disable increase?

Of course i'm not, i'm a fan not a director. I'm just saying if we are to build on last season we have to think bigger and spend more on fees/wages. That's what Wilder wants so it has to happen or we stand a big chance of regression. Not rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom