Squad rundown - what do we need?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think everyone has missed the glaringly obvious.
Surely there'll be a fire sale down at S6, especially if they fall thru to the pub league.

For my money, we can't afford Eze, he won't leave London, and he isn't good enough for us to change our system to accommodate him.

I'm not sure what we'll do about the forward/creative positions, to be honest. We can't get established Prem players, by and large, so I don't know if we'll look abroad or to the Championship. These days though, you don't get a lot of bang for your buck even at Championship level, unless you pick very cleverly like our team does (Ben Osborn FFS!)

We didn't have to compete with them for his signature otherwise it would've been a non starter. Take
I think everyone has missed the glaringly obvious.
Surely there'll be a fire sale down at S6, especially if they fall thru to the pub league.
Apart from Iorfa as Basham backup, I don't really see anything of value. Who do you think can suit us?

With the Leicester game ahead I was thinking how far behind their team that won the league we are....

Honestly think if you added a deadly finisher (e.g Vardy) and a game changing attacking midfield (in the Mahrez mould) we could have given them a run for their money.

To my mind they are the only things we are ‘missing’ to allow us to get some results when we have a bit of an off day. Pop someone who can bury a half / quarter chance or create something from nothing to this side and I dread to think of the possibilities.

Obviously, finding those types is easier said than done....

Eze is a real South London boy. I don't see him moving far away from the city.
Spurs are apparently his most likely destination, but West Ham are in for him & I wouldn't be surprised if Palace & possibly even Arsenal all show interest.

Sadly I don't think we'll be on his radar, or able to compete financially. I think his price will be closer to the £18m mark.

What are you basing this on? I sometimes can't help but feel comments like these are incredibly lazy. He's such a south London boy that he had trials at Sunderland, Bristol City and Swansea as he looked to find a team after being released by Millwall? And he's such a south London boy that he currently plays in west London? Sorry if you do have insight on him, and this is misplaced from me, but I hear this kind of thing sometimes and wonder where on earth it comes from.

Defensive cover is a must for me. We have seen recently the big drop off when any of the titanic trio are out. I expect Jags, Freeman and Rodwell to be on their way. It is going to be a big ask to get a good cb who is going to be on the bench most weeks.

Defensive cover is a must for me. We have seen recently the big drop off when any of the titanic trio are out. I expect Jags, Freeman and Rodwell to be on their way. It is going to be a big ask to get a good cb who is going to be on the bench most weeks.
Agree. The cornerstone of our success this season must be maintained and improved in depth. With squads of only 25, most of whom get chances to play, we must be an attractive proposition to potential signings,. especially if we are also playing in Europe.

All this talk about back-ups? We need to be signing better than we currently have if we want to take the next step?

We constantly talk about how much other teams would have to bid to sogn our players; how much would it cost us to sign better players than we currently have?!

With the Leicester game ahead I was thinking how far behind their team that won the league we are....

Honestly think if you added a deadly finisher (e.g Vardy) and a game changing attacking midfield (in the Mahrez mould) we could have given them a run for their money.

To my mind they are the only things we are ‘missing’ to allow us to get some results when we have a bit of an off day. Pop someone who can bury a half / quarter chance or create something from nothing to this side and I dread to think of the possibilities.

Obviously, finding those types is easier said than done....

I wouldn't swap our defence for the defence that won them the title, that's for sure.
However, we don't have anyone of the quality of Kante, Mahrez and Vardy and they were key to Leicester winning the Prem.

Speaking of Leicester, what about testing their resolve for Demarai Gray - pace to burn, always looked a handful and seems to be more of a squad player under Brendan Rogers. Maybe we could transform him from winger to striker? Only worry would be similar to the situation with Callum Robinson.

What are you basing this on? I sometimes can't help but feel comments like these are incredibly lazy. He's such a south London boy that he had trials at Sunderland, Bristol City and Swansea as he looked to find a team after being released by Millwall? And he's such a south London boy that he currently plays in west London? Sorry if you do have insight on him, and this is misplaced from me, but I hear this kind of thing sometimes and wonder where on earth it comes from.
I think you're right and we shouldn't underestimate the draw of playing in the Prem League (for any team)
I also don't think Palace will shift Zaha for what they want this summer given the current climate.
Can't imagine he's high profile enough for Arsenal.
West Ham have a lot of AM's/Forwards so can't see them having space in their squad for him.

we need 3-5 new players, they will not be PL established, probably add some young prospects in the mix. Not surprised if we look abroad. CW has delivered a list, I trust the club and CW have a solid plan on recruitment. Ability and potential more than big names has worked wonders, no reason to change it

If he has regained his fitness, timothy fosu mensah from man Utd would be a great signing, Rcb, rwb and cdm cover in 1 player. 22, man Utd have triggered the 1 year option in his contract, similar to lunny here. He wouldn't cost too much.

Some additions needed at the back knowing that the majority of those that sit underneath the first choice are likely to be leaving. We need some competition in there because at the moment, as good as they've been, the first choice back 5 know that if they're fit, they'll play with nobody banging on Wilder's door expecting to take their places.

I wouldn't swap our defence for the defence that won them the title, that's for sure.
However, we don't have anyone of the quality of Kante, Mahrez and Vardy and they were key to Leicester winning the Prem.

Speaking of Leicester, what about testing their resolve for Demarai Gray - pace to burn, always looked a handful and seems to be more of a squad player under Brendan Rogers. Maybe we could transform him from winger to striker? Only worry would be similar to the situation with Callum Robinson.

always liked gray as a player. Seem to remember him absolutely destroying Man U a few years back.

I love these threads that pop up every time we're either in or near a transfer window.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but I swear reading some of these replies that the posters are A) watching completely different games/coverage to me or B) haven't grasped the fact that we have played virtually (some tweaks) the same formation for the last 4 years.

I can get the difference in opinion on whether player A would be a good addition or not based on the difference in how we each view games/performances. What I can't get is suggestions for players that have never or will never fit into our formation.

What CW/AK have done so well over the last 4 years is fit round pegs in rounds holes. There's been then odd exception which I believe is when they have genuinely thought a player could adapt ie Callum Robinson this season but these are few and far between. Any players we sign will generally be signed as they are excelling in the role we are looking to fill at their current club with perhaps the odd tweak needed.

What we won't sign are players that have spent their entire careers as wingers unless CW believes they could be converted to WB's ie Beckham in his later career. We also won't sign players who spent their entire careers as MF's and expect them to play CF/No10.

For my money, we can't afford Eze, he won't leave London, and he isn't good enough for us to change our system to accommodate him.

I'm not sure what we'll do about the forward/creative positions, to be honest. We can't get established Prem players, by and large, so I don't know if we'll look abroad or to the Championship. These days though, you don't get a lot of bang for your buck even at Championship level, unless you pick very cleverly like our team does (Ben Osborn FFS!)

What reason do you have to suggest he won’t “leave London “ and eze is the closest thing in the championship to mcgoldrick Why would we change system

Harrison Reed looks quality for fulham If they don’t go up

I might get slaughtered for this but has Mitrovic been mentioned? I've always thought he'd be unreal for us, reckon his wages are too much?

Reactions: CW7
I think some of the prices in the original post are way, way off.

I think some underestimate our wage structure. McBurnie cost a lot but is only on £20k per week. Many top half Championship players will be on more.

We need a GK. We can't keep loaning. Ramsdale seems like an obvious choice but it might take a large proportion of our transfer budget to get him. I feel we may have to get a little nit more creative. They have a fairly decent keeper in S6, for example. We may need to look at the leagues below and pick someone from a club not coming up to the top flight.

For me, Baldock has to be first choice at RWB. He's had a great season and looks comfortable in defence against some of the best players in the world. Sure, he's not had the same success going forward but I think he's been unlucky. Ideally, we'd bring someone young in who would be able to cover, where needed and would eventually take over.

LWB - If Norrington-Davies is ready to cover in extreme circumstances, then I think we're fine there. Osborn would be first cover.

LCB - Looks like Robinson's staying. If JOC stays then I guess we'll manage

CB - Need a cover for Egan. Again, the preference would be for a young player who has potential to take over in a couple of years. That or a more experienced defender who can cover both Egan and play at RCB.

RCB - Bash is 32 now. As fit as he is age will catch up with him over the next couple of seasons. I think it should be a priority to bring someone in who can compete with him now. As above, if they can play more than one position, then all the better

LM - Fleck/Osborn good enough for me

CM - Norwood/Berge

RM - Depends what happens with Lunny. We're clearly a midfielder short. I don't think Berge is the long-term answer here. we need to bring someone in who would fit into the squad. The loan market might be best for this.

ST - We need someone who is similar to Didzy. Difficult to do but I think it's worth investing in a younger player. Someone who can feature within the squad but will develop. We're a completely different team with a link-up player.

ST - McBurnie/Mouse Think we're covered there.

We need a GK. We can't keep loaning. Ramsdale seems like an obvious choice but it might take a large proportion of our transfer budget to get him. I feel we may have to get a little nit more creative. They have a fairly decent keeper in S6, for example. We may need to look at the leagues below and pick someone from a club not coming up to the top flight.

I'd rather cut both my bollocks off than have Westwood at The Lane. He's absolute poison in the dressing room and no wonder 3 managers in a row have basically told him to fuck off and train with the kids.

There's no doubting his quality and as a number 2 he would be a million miles better than Moore based on ability but my guess is Wilder would end up spinning his jaw within a month of him being here.

I'd rather cut both my bollocks off than have Westwood at The Lane. He's absolute poison in the dressing room and no wonder 3 managers in a row have basically told him to fuck off and train with the kids.

There's no doubting his quality and as a number 2 he would be a million miles better than Moore based on ability but my guess is Wilder would end up spinning his jaw within a month of him being here.

I'm not talking about Westwood. We should sign Long. He has only let in 7 in 45 minutes.

What reason do you have to suggest he won’t “leave London “ and eze is the closest thing in the championship to mcgoldrick Why would we change system

I just imagine that if someone like West Ham, or a promoted Fulham, came in for Eze he would plump for them instead of us.

I see him more as attacking midfielder than a forward like McGoldrick, and we've eliminated the attacking midfielder role from our system. Maybe he could play as the deeper one in a front two, but I just don't see it. Of course, I don't think he's that great in the first place anyway...

I just imagine that if someone like West Ham, or a promoted Fulham, came in for Eze he would plump for them instead of us.

I see him more as attacking midfielder than a forward like McGoldrick, and we've eliminated the attacking midfielder role from our system. Maybe he could play as the deeper one in a front two, but I just don't see it. Of course, I don't think he's that great in the first place anyway...
That’s fair enough , don’t think you can judge a play on because they wouldn’t come north though
You can never tell how a player will make the step up who’d have though mcgoldrick would stand out as much in the prem.

I think eze is the closest and best player we could have a decent chance of getting imo

If he has regained his fitness, timothy fosu mensah from man Utd would be a great signing, Rcb, rwb and cdm cover in 1 player. 22, man Utd have triggered the 1 year option in his contract, similar to lunny here. He wouldn't cost too much.
Starting at Lb tonight, hopefully he stays fit.

One of the 3 below would have an impact. All come with a heavy price tag

- Buendia - most likely to fit into squad but with a more creative edge.

- Eze - out and out cam who could change a game in an instant.

- Watkins - scores goals and can drop deep if needed.

Reactions: CW7

Back
Top Bottom