Squad rundown - what do we need?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just to add

Forwards

Josh Sargent - £6m only 20 years old apparently the future star of the USA National team, playing for Werder Bremen who look likley to relegated to second tier of German football, vardy-esq in stature but has the qualities of sharp and didzy.

Eze - without a doubt, Mousset number two who can actually run around for 90 minutes probably snatch him, for laround £10m, young and easily coached into a player that suits our system.

Midfield

Marko Grujić - Out of favour at Liverpool spent most of his time there on loan elsewhere, only 24, had a good season at mid table Hertha Berlin. Very similar to lundstram with a little more technical ability, runs for days.

I think we may have to dip into the European leagues to find a striker. Didsy and Billy are pushing on in age. There are limited options in the championship with everyone chasing the same few players. Finding value there is difficult. Ollie Watkins is going to cost about 20mil. Bradley Dack is injured. Adam Armstrong is worth looking at but is he good enough.
Defenders and midfield cover we can find easily enough. For me the transfer window will be all about getting someone up top.

Why don't we think bigger?
Ramsdale picked up at a discount from Bournemouth
As much as players will want to come to the Prem or stay in it, they aren't going to take a knock in wages to do it. The only club in the Prem with comparable wages to us (going on 2019 figures) is Norwich, I'd say first teamers even from clubs getting relegated is a non starter. This season at least we are still fishing in the Championship and Europe.

I think we may have to dip into the European leagues to find a striker. Didsy and Billy are pushing on in age. There are limited options in the championship with everyone chasing the same few players. Finding value there is difficult. Ollie Watkins is going to cost about 20mil. Bradley Dack is injured. Adam Armstrong is worth looking at but is he good enough.
Defenders and midfield cover we can find easily enough. For me the transfer window will be all about getting someone up top.

We’ve been linked with Emmanuel Dennis numerous times, if there’s any truth to the link, we might be back in for him.

Just to add

Forwards

Josh Sargent - £6m only 20 years old apparently the future star of the USA National team, playing for Werder Bremen who look likley to relegated to second tier of German football, vardy-esq in stature but has the qualities of sharp and didzy.

Eze - without a doubt, Mousset number two who can actually run around for 90 minutes probably snatch him, for laround £10m, young and easily coached into a player that suits our system.

Midfield

Marko Grujić - Out of favour at Liverpool spent most of his time there on loan elsewhere, only 24, had a good season at mid table Hertha Berlin. Very similar to lundstram with a little more technical ability, runs for days.
Eze is a midfielder

I don’t think we’ll be that busy. All we really need for me is:

GK: Hendo back on loan or Ramsdale picked up at a discount from Bournemouth (he’s a cracking little keeper, even though his diving isn’t the best at Bournemouth)

DR: Bogle or Cash as genuine competition for Baldock would be perfect, but I can see us going for a cheaper option like Fankaty Dabo from Coventry.

CB: that Woolfenden kid from Ipswich to replace the outgoing Jags, and give Rodwell another year as he can back-up a bunch of different positions & we know from the Sunderland doc that he’s fine with not playing.

Midfield: Bit of creativity and some goals needed. I like the link with Cantwell but he’s so bloody wimpy looking!
Swift wouldn’t be a bad signing, but not as likely to thrive as Cantwell IMO.

Striker: Eze. Thats it. I want us to sign this kid so bad that it borders on being inappropriate.
He’s strong, fast, skilful and a good finisher. Give him a year learning under Didzy and he’d be astonishingly good.

That’d do for me. According to the papers (pinch of salt) it’d be 12m for Eze, 10m Cantwell, 10m for Cash & 4m for Woolfenden, plus the loan fee for Henderson and thats less than 40 mil to make some quality additions and help us bring home the Europa League trophy next year 😉

Eze is a real South London boy. I don't see him moving far away from the city.
Spurs are apparently his most likely destination, but West Ham are in for him & I wouldn't be surprised if Palace & possibly even Arsenal all show interest.

Sadly I don't think we'll be on his radar, or able to compete financially. I think his price will be closer to the £18m mark.

I think because Utd under CW made progression from L1 to Champ and then Champ to Prem look relatively easy, a number of people are forgetting about the gulf in class between the respective leagues.
Yes, I'm sure some Champ players will be able to make the jump to the Prem but most wouldn't. Suggestions like Adam Armstrong and Rob Dickie are, quite frankly, laughable - they're miles away from the required standard.
Of the more serious suggestions, I'm not at all convinced about Ramsdale for anything other than 2nd/3rd choice and I'm not sure many others would be if it weren't for his connections with the club. I would be worried if Henderson doesn't return - I've not seen enough of the Turkish lads mentioned to form an opinion and as others have been said, there aren't any stand-out performers that would be available - Johnstone (if WBA don't get up), Krul, Forster and Gunn perhaps being the best of the bunch but none are as good as Henderson.
Eze is another one I can't see working, although I admit my judgement is based on the ~10 full games I've seen him play. I really can't see where he'd play in Utd's side - some on here seem to think he's a striker - he's not, he's a midfielder and one that prefers to play wide. On his day he looks impressive but I'd question his work rate when the going gets tough and his discipline and defensive abilities to play RCM. That, coupled with his strong London connections, I can only see him going to Palace when Zaha eventually moves on.
I think CW will definitely be in for Watkins if Brentford aren't promoted and I could see Swift and/or Hendrick joining to bolster the midfield ranks especially if Lundstram doesn't agree a new contract and is moved on. Personally, I'd love to see Doucoure from Watford add power and dynamism.

Eze is a midfielder

He is, but he started the season for QPR playing just behind the striker, which is when he got the majority of his goals.
I think he’d make an amazing deep-lying forward for us.

As much as players will want to come to the Prem or stay in it, they aren't going to take a knock in wages to do it.

I agree this is the case with the likes of Doucoure, and some others mentioned here.
But if we can’t offer decent wages to up and comers like Ramsdale and Cantwell, then how did we get Liverpool, Man U & Spurs-linked Sander Berge to come across?

We aren’t aren’t in League One, getting all our players from the Scottish 2nd tier anymore.

He is, but he started the season for QPR playing just behind the striker, which is when he got the majority of his goals.
I think he’d make an amazing deep-lying forward for us.

I agree this is the case with the likes of Doucoure, and some others mentioned here.
But if we can’t offer decent wages to up and comers like Ramsdale and Cantwell, then how did we get Liverpool, Man U & Spurs-linked Sander Berge to come across?

We aren’t aren’t in League One, getting all our players from the Scottish 2nd tier anymore.
Think I'd prefer cantwell than eze
He's proved he can do it in the prem and i m.not sure eze will ,

GK - Henderson

CCB - Axel Disasi, Malang Sarr

RCB - Fosu-Mensah, Caldara

RWB - Kenny Lala, Matty Cash

LWB - Ryan Sessegnon, Jetro Willems

RCM - Maitland-Niles, Buendia, Swift

ST - Michail Antonio, Lars Stindl, Michu Batshuyi, Josh King

GK - Henderson, Moore, Verrips
RCB - Basham, Fosu-Mensah
CCB - Egan, Disasi
LCB - O’Connell, Robinson
RWB - Baldock, Maitland-Niles, Antonio
LWB - Stevens, Sessegnon
RCM - Maitland-Niles, Lundstram, Berge
CCM - Berge, Norwood
LCM - Fleck, Osborn, Freeman
ST - Sharp, McBurnie, McGoldrick, Mousset, Antonio

Henderson - Loan
Fosu-Mensah - £5m
Disasi - £12m-£15m
Sessegnon - Loan
Maitland-Niles - £15m
Antonio - £5m

Sell
Robinson - £8m

Net spend £30m-£32m

GK - Henderson

CCB - Egan, Disasi
LWB - Stevens, Sessegnon
CCM - Berge, Norwood

Henderson - Loan
Fosu-Mensah - £5m
Disasi - £12m-£15m
Sessegnon - Loan
Maitland-Niles - £15m
Antonio - £5m

Sell
Robinson - £8m

Net spend £30m-£32m

A couple of those valuations are wildly optimistic.

Which would you suggest should be different?

Currently first choice striker at West Ham Michail Antonio will cost more than £5m - plus he's scored 4 today (so far).

Ainsley Maitland-Niles is one of Arsenal's brightest youngsters, £15m is way too low there.

Plus they're both probably on a much higher weekly wage than nearly any member of our squad.

I think Freeman should be moved up to the role mcgoldrick plays but i do think we need another striker
Why do we need to bring in an AMF when we've got Luke Freeman ? Or is he leaving (after being given so little opportunity to play). Has the emergence of Osborn lessened Luke's ranking even further ?

I think because Utd under CW made progression from L1 to Champ and then Champ to Prem look relatively easy, a number of people are forgetting about the gulf in class between the respective leagues.
Yes, I'm sure some Champ players will be able to make the jump to the Prem but most wouldn't. Suggestions like Adam Armstrong and Rob Dickie are, quite frankly, laughable - they're miles away from the required standard.
Of the more serious suggestions, I'm not at all convinced about Ramsdale for anything other than 2nd/3rd choice and I'm not sure many others would be if it weren't for his connections with the club. I would be worried if Henderson doesn't return - I've not seen enough of the Turkish lads mentioned to form an opinion and as others have been said, there aren't any stand-out performers that would be available - Johnstone (if WBA don't get up), Krul, Forster and Gunn perhaps being the best of the bunch but none are as good as Henderson.
Eze is another one I can't see working, although I admit my judgement is based on the ~10 full games I've seen him play. I really can't see where he'd play in Utd's side - some on here seem to think he's a striker - he's not, he's a midfielder and one that prefers to play wide. On his day he looks impressive but I'd question his work rate when the going gets tough and his discipline and defensive abilities to play RCM. That, coupled with his strong London connections, I can only see him going to Palace when Zaha eventually moves on.
I think CW will definitely be in for Watkins if Brentford aren't promoted and I could see Swift and/or Hendrick joining to bolster the midfield ranks especially if Lundstram doesn't agree a new contract and is moved on. Personally, I'd love to see Doucoure from Watford add power and dynamism.
As an Irishman I think Hendrick is overrated. I wouldn't touch him.

As an Irishman I think Hendrick is overrated. I wouldn't touch him.

I must admit I'm not his biggest fan either but he would be a steady Eddie that could play across the middle. However CW appears keen and of course he is Irish :)

If you can persuade West Ham to sell Antonio for £5m, you need to be appointed to the recruitment team immediately.
Currently first choice striker at West Ham Michail Antonio will cost more than £5m - plus he's scored 4 today (so far).

Ainsley Maitland-Niles is one of Arsenal's brightest youngsters, £15m is way too low there.

Plus they're both probably on a much higher weekly wage than nearly any member of our squad.
Maybe £5m is too low for Antonio but he’s 30 and out of contract in 12 months. Him scoring 4 today has kinda pissed on my bonfire :(

I saw several articles a few weeks back stating that arsenal want to sell for around £15m. How accurate they are remains to be seen but that’s what I based the valuation and that he could be a viable target from.

Maybe £5m is too low for Antonio but he’s 30 and out of contract in 12 months. Him scoring 4 today has kinda pissed on my bonfire :(

I saw several articles a few weeks back stating that arsenal want to sell for around £15m. How accurate they are remains to be seen but that’s what I based the valuation and that he could be a viable target from.

The other factor to be considered for Antonio and most of the other players you suggested is wages. I'm not aware of the others' but I know Antonio is on £70-80k/week.

how did we get Liverpool, Man U & Spurs-linked Sander Berge to come across?
We didn't have to compete with them for his signature otherwise it would've been a non starter. Take a look at what everybody else is spending on wages even those at the bottom B'moth 110m Brighton 80m Palace 100m+, must admit I didn't check every club but you get the feel for it. (Watford 73m that's a low one!)

This thread feels lacking without Ricky - Foxy any chance his ban could be rescinded as per Man City's? What about if he says he's really sorry, pays a huge fine and, most importantly, gets a crack Legal team on the case.

Love these kinds of post! My suggestions are mainly dependant on who misses out on promotion from the Championship and who gets relegated from the Prem. My general feeling is we'd go for top end Championship and probably be wise to given the likely financial challenges they face. My general thought process was look at tackles and assists. You could argue tackles indicate the player is often out of position and is having to cover his a$$. But it's Friday and I couldn't be bothered to dig any deeper.

RWB
  • Matty Cash (Forest) - Highest % of tackles pre-lockdown and nicknamed "the new Cafu" ffs! Has 5 assists and 3 goals which was better than George in the Championship. Nottingham to Sheffield is a breezy commute. Transfer Markt has him at $4.2m (sorry my pound sign is busted!) - Source

• Frederic Guilbert (Villa) - I'd be loathed to take anyone out that team and chuck 'em straight in to our line up but with the right coaching this geezer could be a player. Decent number of tackles and clearances per game. Couple of assists in the league too. Plus his agency look dog poopy. They'd love a Prem player! - Transfer Markt has him at $6.3m - Source

• Connor Roberts (Swansea) - Also contributed 5 assists in the Championship this year. Has interested many Premier league clubs in the past and is likely hungry to step up. Same agency as Bash and on good terms with McBurnie (from social media likes). Transfer Markt has him valued at $2.88m - Source

• Jayden Bogle (Derby) - Again, 5 assists this year (had 9 under Lampard last season). Comparing him to Baldock on Fifa and Football Manager, it's clear he has a long way to go to being the finished article but with the wisdom of Wilder and Knill, I'd expect he'd reach that potential in no time. Transfer Markt has him at $5.7m - Source

• Cyrus Christie (Fulham) - At one stage I thought he was destined to be a Prem mainstay. Limited time this season but would likely tolerate being second fiddle to Georgey Boy. Seemed to have a pretty average season this year but is tall, pacey and possibly going into his final contract year and has had moderate assists in his time in the Championship. He's an option but not a great one. Transfer Markt has him cheap - Source

Tough position to cover imo. George has been excellent this season and someone coming in will have to be comfortable playing second fiddle. That's a tough ask. I may argue that with Bash, we could opt for someone who is more attack minded. I know we semi tried that with Marvin Johnson but I could foresee a case where we had a winger who would get up and down from the wingback role and be covered by Berge and Bash. Perhaps if we're chasing games or facing a low block.
i would love matty cash, but unless he hands in a request at forest i cannot see him leaving... and they would want 15m for him

GK - Henderson

CCB - Egan, Disasi
LWB - Stevens, Sessegnon
CCM - Berge, Norwood

Henderson - Loan
Fosu-Mensah - £5m
Disasi - £12m-£15m
Sessegnon - Loan
Maitland-Niles - £15m
Antonio - £5m

Sell
Robinson - £8m

Net spend £30m-£32m
michail antonio 5m 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Eze is a real South London boy. I don't see him moving far away from the city.
Spurs are apparently his most likely destination, but West Ham are in for him & I wouldn't be surprised if Palace & possibly even Arsenal all show interest.

Sadly I don't think we'll be on his radar, or able to compete financially. I think his price will be closer to the £18m mark.
£18 million? Can’t see that unless Watkins is going to be £25-30M and QPR have to sell. If Eze is going for £18M then Arsenal aren’t signing him and West Ham are going to have all on covering their wage bill if fans are allowed.
Palace would concern me but they would have to have shifted Zaha as his wages will already be eating most of their wage bill, but I cant see anyone giving them what they want for him. So he probably stays ruling them out of the chase for him.

This thread feels lacking without Ricky - Foxy any chance his ban could be rescinded as per Man City's? What about if he says he's really sorry, pays a huge fine and, most importantly, gets a crack Legal team on the case.
He could have not been a dick in the first place? 🤷‍♂️
Yes his knowledge was insightful, but there aren’t many rules here and he thought they didn’t or shouldn’t apply to him. He also had a thinner skin than the average amphibian, which was also a shame as coupled with his ego weren’t the best combination.
It would be great for him to be here but if he broke the rules he has to take the consequences.

Back
Top Bottom