Both Sheffield teams at home on the same day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Doubt it. There will be 50 million pigs stuck outside the sty trying to get in.

May happen more and more now with the porkers crowd going down so much they're not going to need much plod around their ground.

7 September 1982, Blades beat Huddersfield 2-0 at the Lane, Terry Curran playing a blinder, and across the city Wednesday beat Bolton 3-1 at Hillsborough the same night.
I remember Terry Curran scoring with a great back header on a night match, it might have been that game.

Bert's memory thinks it was in the 70's.
Maybe happened a few times then. Shouldn't be too difficult to pinpoint as we didn't tend to play many cup games in the 70's!

Looked it up and the only time it happened in the 70's was in the 1st Round 24th November 1979. We beat Burscough 3-0 and they beat Lincoln 3-0.

Last edited:
Maybe happened a few times then. Shouldn't be too difficult to pinpoint as we didn't tend to play many cup games in the 70's!

Looked it up and the only time it happened in the 70's was in the 1st Round 24th November 1979. We beat Burscough 3-0 and they beat Lincoln 3-0.

we were also both at home on 3rd round day in 1983: we drew with Stoke, they beat Barnsley.

more recently, both teams were at home on 2nd round day in 2011-12, 3 December 2011. We beat Torquay and they beat Aldershot. We were both drawn at home again in round 3 but we played different days.

My favourite juxtaposition, 3 September 1985:

Sheffield United 5 Rotherham 1 (league cup)
Sheffield Wednesday 1 Everton 5 (Division 1)

That was a good night!

we were also both at home on 3rd round day in 1983: we drew with Stoke, they beat Barnsley.

more recently, both teams were at home on 2nd round day in 2011-12, 3 December 2011. We beat Torquay and they beat Aldershot. We were both drawn at home again in round 3 but we played different days.

My favourite juxtaposition, 3 September 1985:

Sheffield United 5 Rotherham 1 (league cup)
Sheffield Wednesday 1 Everton 5 (Division 1)

That was a good night!
We were also due to play at home on the same day on FA Cup 3rd round day 1979, us against Aldershot and them against Arsenal. It snowed heavily so our game was postponed. Their game went ahead and the footage on TV showed snowballs raining down on the Arsenal keeper Pat Jennings from the roofless Kop. We went out to Aldershot after a replay. Wendy's tie against Arsenal famously took 5 games to settle, the Gunners eventually winning 2-0. Can you imagine that happening now?

I remember Terry Curran scoring with a great back header on a night match, it might have been that game.

Not a popular opinion to express on here I'm sure, but I thought Terry Curran was a devastating player on his day. He could be unplayable at times that lad. I won't mention the most painful example of it, but I remember when we played Stoke away in a Cup match and I think we lost actually, it was a night match, but Curran was out of this world that night. He was taking them on almost single-handed at times and going round players like they weren't there. He was very much the individual though. I doubt he'd have got into a Wilder team. But sometimes it's handy to have a player like that, someone very single minded to the point of being selfish, who will literally run at players and scare the living daylights out of them. They can cause havoc and do the unexpected.

Not a popular opinion to express on here I'm sure, but I thought Terry Curran was a devastating player on his day. He could be unplayable at times that lad. I won't mention the most painful example of it, but I remember when we played Stoke away in a Cup match and I think we lost actually, it was a night match, but Curran was out of this world that night. He was taking them on almost single-handed at times and going round players like they weren't there. He was very much the individual though. I doubt he'd have got into a Wilder team. But sometimes it's handy to have a player like that, someone very single minded to the point of being selfish, who will literally run at players and scare the living daylights out of them. They can cause havoc and do the unexpected.
I agree, on his day a great player, unfortunately too much history between us. He has since said he regretted joining us. I remember bef2he joined someone had written, 'Terry Curran is a pig' at the Kop entrance and it remained up even when he was playing for us!

At least it will give Wednesday fans a chance to boast that they got the same attendance as us despite being in a lower division!

Bert's memory thinks it was in the 70's.

I can remember it. Cup matches. I can remember walking past them waiting for buses just off Pond Street.

We were also due to play at home on the same day on FA Cup 3rd round day 1979, us against Aldershot and them against Arsenal. It snowed heavily so our game was postponed. Their game went ahead and the footage on TV showed snowballs raining down on the Arsenal keeper Pat Jennings from the roofless Kop. We went out to Aldershot after a replay. Wendy's tie against Arsenal famously took 5 games to settle, the Gunners eventually winning 2-0. Can you imagine that happening now?

Err....I was at that Arsenal match at the Sty. Their tye ( tie?) was eventually settled at Leicester. Every time Jennings went up for a ball he was showered in snowballs. I was a right football tart in those days

Err....I was at that Arsenal match at the Sty. Their tye ( tie?) was eventually settled at Leicester. Every time Jennings went up for a ball he was showered in snowballs. I was a right football tart in those days
Funny to think that Arsenal took 5 games to get past 3rd division Wednesday, and then went on to win the Cup, in the days when winning the Cup was still a big deal.

At least it will give Wednesday fans a chance to boast that they got the same attendance as us despite being in a lower division!
Took me a few seconds to get that, very, very subtle.;)

We also played Maidstone in the cup in the 80s when the pigs played Everton. I remember this because I gave directions to a very confused scouser on Shoreham St.

we won 1-0.

the Wednesday- Everton tie was an 4 game epic, with a happy ending:

Wednesday 1 Everton 1
Everton 1 Wednesday 1
Everton 1 Wednesday 1
Wednesday 0 Everton 5

Everton were actually 5-0 up at half time!

1969-70 season, fa cup 3rd round.we beat derby 2-1 at Bramall lane Just under 30,00..
And porkies lost 2-1 to Scunthope at the stadium of rust. Jan 1970.

7 September 1982, Blades beat Huddersfield 2-0 at the Lane, Terry Curran playing a blinder, and across the city Wednesday beat Bolton 3-1 at Hillsborough the same night.
Proving their massiveness once again. 600 more fans were at The Sty. Still they were a division higher.

oops got that wrong not same day.i think we lost at derby and porkies lost at home.
Baseball ground was a first visit to a ground outside Sheffield.remember it well.coppers lifted me over the barrier..because the crowd serged forward.nearly brock my nose.that game was on tv.and I have been trying to spot myself sat just over the barrier with a few other people on youtube.bleeding coppers sent us back on to the to the terrace.rotten twats.

just seen them warming up on the pitch following a bit of light drizzle this morning

1594218698349.png

Back
Top Bottom