Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Having had a strong connection with Sheffield Markets for the greater part of my life I find this photo very sad. Historically and traditionally Sheffield's market area, to see it flattened and grassed sums up the Councils ineptitude to organise by keeping and adapting the best whilst adding the new. Bulldoze and rebuild their only manner of work.

Moorfoot 1973

Zebra Crossing and Roadworks at Moorfoot looking towards Nos. 208/206 former Yorkshire Penny Bank; 210, The Moor; Ecclesall Road; Midland Bank, Sheffield and Ecclesall Co-op, Cemetery Road and  Barclays Bank

Never seen that before - it’s barely recognisable. Is that the original bank building that’s now Baan Thai restaurant?

Not sure what it is now, not been down there for years, but that is the old bank building. I remember the Moor foot being loads and loads of car parking in my younger days.

Never seen that before - it’s barely recognisable. Is that the original bank building that’s now Baan Thai restaurant?

Yes, with the S&E Arcade next door, then Lex Brooklands the Volvo dealer. They used to have a written off car in their showroom window, from which everybody had got out unscathed, to show how safe Volvos were.

Steam and that heady malty smell coming from Wards brewery. Occassionally you could walk all the way from the markets to the bottom of the Moor with first, Whitbread's Exchange brewery and then Wards, filling your nostrils. Ahhhhhhhhh (better than that Bisto bollocks).

Post #12,267 shows Cemetery Road coming all way down to the bottom with the other bank (Barclays?) that is now a Chinese firework shop. You can also just see the gable end of the Lansdowne pub.

Back
Top Bottom