A cashless stadium

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My mates just texed me and said its gunna mess him round cos he's got 2 kids who like to go on their own for snacks drinks etc but now he'll have to go with em, this will not benefit everyone its just another ploy to get as much coin in the clubs coffers asap

You can get prepaid cards for children from the age of six and they can set up their own bank accounts at 11. He can get them a card, chuck some dosh on it for 'em and off they pop. You can even get apps to keep an eye on how much they're spending and what it's going on.

There’s a separate thread about tickets, loyalty points, membership and prices. This thread is about going cashless.

I posted earlier, directly linking the two issues to United getting carried away with the shiny new Premier League world.
Silly ticket prices and cashless are part of the same problem.

There will always be exceptions for everything
But it does deliver a better fan experience for 95% of our fans and the other 5% have the option to join in with the better fan experience if they wish.

Think it’s a fear of change, some people will always prefer tradition and for nothing to ever change, however cashless transactions is the future.

I think it's a fear of bullshit.

And patronising bollocks.

No because there won’t be till points to take money. I’ve no doubt there will be signs at the kiosks informing people of the change so after the first match of the season people can’t complain for being turned away if they have cash.
I guess that's true smirth but it will upset a lot of people, mark my words especially older ones who don't like change mate. We are supposed to live in a democracy giving people the choice, but as you say they move with the times. As someone said tho what happens when system falls down, as we've seen that they can do?

I'm not on a tight budget but I'm with Dkc on this one.

I like to know what I'm spending and having cash makes it easy to do that.

After 2 hrs of waving a card in a bar I won't have a clue what I've spent.

Edit: if any of my mates jump on this and say I never spend owt they may suddenly discover that I don't, well not on them anyway 🤣

Your round(s) for the Leicester game then fella! 🤪

I know I'm an old fart, but whether it's my banking background, or I have my parents old fashioned views on money, but I have the need to know how much is in my account at any one point. If I used my card all the time, I could never keep track of my money. For day to day spending I draw out some cash each week, other than that all my bills are on SOs. Works for me.
#nevereverbeenoverdrawn

I agree NYB, I prefer to use cash, I know how much I have spent and it's easier to keep track of what you have got left

It is too easy to just keep using a card and have no idea of what you have spent, we should be given the option of using cash or card, what ever happened to freedom of choice

Also what happens if the card systems fail, no body would be able to buy anything

I might be stuck in the past but when we played the pigs at their place last season, we went in the Farm Road club to watch the match, my mate went to get the first round, got his phone out to pay with the app set up on his phone and they said we only accept cash, that made me chuckle

In the depression in the 30’s when no fucker had any money, my Grandad was lucky on his birthday and was given a few pence. He then went to the sweet shop and bought some sweets. The shop owner, not having any money himself as per most people at the time, gave my Grandad change in the form of 8 empty pop bottles which he said he could get money back on at the local corner shop. Not a relevant story in the least but it makes me fucking laugh when I think about it.

We are a 'Cashless' stadium. Very easy to forget how many time you have tapped your card until you check your account the next day!

I have just about got used it it now.

Still seems odd though getting home from the game and having the same about of cash in my wallet as when I left the house.

In the depression in the 30’s when no fucker had any money, my Grandad was lucky on his birthday and was given a few pence. He then went to the sweet shop and bought some sweets. The shop owner, not having any money himself as per most people at the time, gave my Grandad change in the form of 8 empty pop bottles which he said he could get money back on at the local corner shop. Not a relevant story in the least but it makes me fucking laugh when I think about it.

This is fantastic.

I don't pass a single cash machine on my walk from Meersbrook to my seat on the Kop. (There is one in the shop at the end of my road but that costs £2 so they can fuck off).

My Dad is 71 and uses contactless. If your kids aren't old enough to have a bank account then give them your card or go with them. If they aren't old enough to know how it works then they aren't old enough to walk off on their own.

Some cunt in the massive drinks queue at Barnsley the other week bought 18 bottles of cider for him and a bunch of Johnny Come-Latelys who strolled up to the front, each presenting him with a five pound note for which they also required change.

Unless old cunto is feeling particularly generous he's unlikely to do this again.

Furthermore, if the system breaks down I assume everything gets given away for free? :)

We are a 'Cashless' stadium. Very easy to forget how many time you have tapped your card until you check your account the next day!

I have just about got used it it now.

Still seems odd though getting home from the game and having the same about of cash in my wallet as when I left the house.

We also have this fill-from-the-bottom beer like you have. Any good? Can you push your mates bottom and soak his shoes? ;)

I guess that's true smirth but it will upset a lot of people, mark my words especially older ones who don't like change mate. We are supposed to live in a democracy giving people the choice, but as you say they move with the times. As someone said tho what happens when system falls down, as we've seen that they can do?
How do you know the club won’t have systems in place for when the systems fall down? Which actually is a very rare occurrence.

Not liking change is not a good enough reason for the club to not modernise and never will be. It’s 2019 and we are playing in the richest, most watched league in the world. More things like this will happen, and needs to happen for the club to keep moving forward.

Hillsboro Blade great story I'm not that old but I remember taking empties back to shop and getting money back on them, I can't get over the fact that people say get cards for kids. They are kids for a reason people try to make them grow up too soon these days, let them enjoy being kids dad's get off yer arses and take em to snack bar it's your job. Please don't get me started on kiddies with mobile phones, shish kebab.

How do you know the club won’t have systems in place for when the systems fall down? Which actually is a very rare occurrence.

Not liking change is not a good enough reason for the club to not modernise and never will be. It’s 2019 and we are playing in the richest, most watched league in the world. More things like this will happen, and needs to happen for the club to keep moving forward.
Smirth we are in Asda a couple of years ago and tills failed for cards, people left shopping and had to dash for money from ATM if the system fails as it will, the only fall back is cash. I don't give a bollox it's 2019 yes we move on but we don't forget our past and heritage, something this country and it's young are fucking shit hot at forgetting.

Hillsboro Blade great story I'm not that old but I remember taking empties back to shop and getting money back on them, I can't get over the fact that people say get cards for kids. They are kids for a reason people try to make them grow up too soon these days, let them enjoy being kids dad's get off yer arses and take em to snack bar it's your job. Please don't get me started on kiddies with mobile phones, shish kebab.
Didn’t you give your kids money when they were young to teach them how to buy things? The cards are ‘pre-loaded’. That means you put a set amount of money on it, say £2. How’s that any different to actually giving them £2 to go and buy some sweets?

I posted on the photos thread about old money and new money. How did I know about it? Because my mum and dad taught me about money when I was young.

Not taking sides but went to Ghent and PSV Eindhoven in the Belguim and Dutch Premier League, last season and you can't pay by cash at the club shop, Food Kiosks, Bar etc etc.

Instead they have a number of dare I say it, usually quite attractive lasses flogging Club Cards, (see below) all over the place which ironically you have to pay by cash (lol).

43665519374_fd5f90252f_o (3).jpg

When you go to the bar, you place you card in the scanning machine connected to the till and it tells you how much you're spending and how much is left on the card.

Top up when necessary or just get a new card

Not saying its for everyone but it does drastically cut down the queues at the bar, as buying four pints of lager takes about 5 seconds and your then allowed to take it to your seat. Happy days

It once took one of the girls in the south stand 5 minutes to work out that a Bovril costing £1.50 and a mars at £1, using a calculator several times did cost £2.50, but only after the bloke a dozen back in the queue shouted it to her

We also have this fill-from-the-bottom beer like you have. Any good? Can you push your mates bottom and soak his shoes? ;)

Yes, when they go for a piss. I got punched in the face for doing that when I was at school.

Exactly this.

I draw cash at the station on my way to the game, spend a chunk of it in the pub and it takes seconds to count what I have left so I know exactly what I've spent.

Maybe it's just the bankers in us.

Bankers who like to keep track of where money is going? Where were you when the bankers were sending the country to shit?

Smirth we are in Asda a couple of years ago and tills failed for cards, people left shopping and had to dash for money from ATM if the system fails as it will, the only fall back is cash. I don't give a bollox it's 2019 yes we move on but we don't forget our past and heritage, something this country and it's young are fucking shit hot at forgetting.
So it’s happened to you once, 2 years ago and that means we shouldn’t bother modernising and using safer, more efficient payment methods?

Bankers who like to keep track of where money is going? Where were you when the bankers were sending the country to shit?

Delivering the mail as a Royal Mail postie.

I fell out of love with banking when it stopped being a service industry and became an insurance sales business.

This was in 2004 and fortunately by then my family circumstances, and the fact that I had enough assets behind me to enable me to live mortgage free, and survive to a reasonable standard on about 25% of my previous income enabled me to make a lifestyle decision.

That was the outcome of a 5 year plan that commenced in 1999.

I'd be surprised if 99 per cent of fans would find it easier without cash for a variety of reasons.
And ticket prices of £35 to £40 definitely doesn't make it easier for 99 per cent of fans.
99% of fans have not paid £35 to £40. Around 80% of fans have paid £23 or less.

If I remember rightly, that was a worldwide problem with visa. Not just asda. Yeah it happened, once, but it wasn't isolated to a football stadium that is open for 3 hours a week.

And if it Does fail, then fuck me, I'll miss my solitary half-time pint. Cry me a fuckin river.

Back
Top Bottom