A cashless stadium

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think that quite frankly, no matter what is happening in the rest of the club - success, new players, great manager and team spirit - there will always be something for fans to complain about!!

I'm 100% behind moving to contactless payments. Having worked in Bars etc. 8 years ago, to working in them again now, it makes everything so much quicker and easier.

It’s not really making it difficult though is it - in fact for 99% of fans it’s making it easier.

How is getting rid of any option to pay cash at any till "making it easier for 99% of fans?"

Are you saying that 99 percent of fans use their cards, and only one in a hundred pay cash? And all of these fans are inconvenienced by the one percent that pays cash?

Fans could pay by card everywhere last season, and many did. But the new rules are making it harder, not easier, for many who prefer cash.

It really doesn't take long to hand over 3.50 or get change from a tenner. If people really think cash payments take longer, why not introduce cash-free tills or bars, but keep an option to pay cash somewhere?

I think that quite frankly, no matter what is happening in the rest of the club - success, new players, great manager and team spirit - there will always be something for fans to complain about!!

I'm 100% behind moving to contactless payments. Having worked in Bars etc. 8 years ago, to working in them again now, it makes everything so much quicker and easier.

I'm sure it does. But why not retain a single till or two for those who use cash?

I think we could still get a situation where someone buys 4 pies, 3 bags crisps, 3 Bovril's and then get's money out, staff what do they do then put stuff back there has to be contingency surely.
No because there won’t be till points to take money. I’ve no doubt there will be signs at the kiosks informing people of the change so after the first match of the season people can’t complain for being turned away if they have cash.

It may well be the way things are moving but not everyone is ready for cashless and why would anyone necessarily being carrying shit loads of cash?
I've never been to the Cutlery Works but I've a feeling it charges a lot for ale. Then again, I still buy a round in cash down Chessie Road and don't have to take out a loan to pay for it.

My old local refused to accept card payments. That and the lane were the only places I'd visit the cashpoint for, seriously. And it annoyed me having to queue up at the garage if I'd forgotten to draw earlier.

It's a good move for the vast majority and will cut down waiting.

How is getting rid of any option to pay cash at any till "making it easier for 99% of fans?"

Are you saying that 99 percent of fans use their cards, and only one in a hundred pay cash? And all of these fans are inconvenienced by the one percent that pays cash?

Fans could pay by card everywhere last season, and many did. But the new rules are making it harder, not easier, for many who prefer cash.

It really doesn't take long to hand over 3.50 or get change from a tenner. If people really think cash payments take longer, why not introduce cash-free tills or bars, but keep an option to pay cash somewhere?
You couldn’t pay by card on the Kop last season could you?

1985 the last time I bought something in the ground.
Packet of Klix chewing gum.

It’s not really making it difficult though is it - in fact for 99% of fans it’s making it easier.

I'd be surprised if 99 per cent of fans would find it easier without cash for a variety of reasons.
And ticket prices of £35 to £40 definitely doesn't make it easier for 99 per cent of fans.

I do think the change should have been phased in to give those people who pay by cash more notice.

Having said that, it amazes me that there are still people who don’t have a card they can pay with.

We’ve gone from a cash only (or vouchers) stadium to a cashless only stadium.

Is there really no way you can combine the two ffs?

I never had cash on me but my grandad and his mates just don’t like using their card out. What’s the harm in having both?
Looks like your buying!

I'd be surprised if 99 per cent of fans would find it easier without cash for a variety of reasons.
And ticket prices of £35 to £40 definitely doesn't make it easier for 99 per cent of fans.
There’s a separate thread about tickets, loyalty points, membership and prices. This thread is about going cashless.

My mates just texed me and said its gunna mess him round cos he's got 2 kids who like to go on their own for snacks drinks etc but now he'll have to go with em, this will not benefit everyone its just another ploy to get as much coin in the clubs coffers asap

"The club will be operating new till systems and payment devices, allowing us to deliver the best possible fan experience at the world’s oldest professional stadium."

Do people still talk like this?

Do people still believe people who talk like this?

I get that it's quicker, more "efficient"*, and they'll be able to maximise revenue, but telling me it's for my own benefit. Can't I decide what's my best possible fan experience?

As we economise efficiency is multiplied
To the extent I am determined the result is a good thing

You want a pie grandad? You'll have to buy an iphone first. That'll give you the best possible fan experience.

Cut out the weakness
Reinforced what was strong

My mates just texed me and said its gunna mess him round cos he's got 2 kids who like to go on their own for snacks drinks etc but now he'll have to go with em, this will not benefit everyone its just another ploy to get as much coin in the clubs coffers asap

This can't be right, because they're delivering the best possible fan experience.

This can't be right, because they're delivering the best possible fan experience.

There will always be exceptions for everything
But it does deliver a better fan experience for 95% of our fans and the other 5% have the option to join in with the better fan experience if they wish.

Think it’s a fear of change, some people will always prefer tradition and for nothing to ever change, however cashless transactions is the future.

I'm not on a tight budget but I'm with Dkc on this one.

I like to know what I'm spending and having cash makes it easy to do that.

After 2 hrs of waving a card in a bar I won't have a clue what I've spent.

Edit: if any of my mates jump on this and say I never spend owt they may suddenly discover that I don't, well not on them anyway 🤣

If I want a single pint, I have to draw out a tenner. If I only have £9.99 in my bank, this means I have to go without. But with contactless, I can have 2 pints.

So I win. As does the club because I've spent a few quid more.

There are very very few cons to this move.

I know I'm an old fart, but whether it's my banking background, or I have my parents old fashioned views on money, but I have the need to know how much is in my account at any one point. If I used my card all the time, I could never keep track of my money. For day to day spending I draw out some cash each week, other than that all my bills are on SOs. Works for me.
#nevereverbeenoverdrawn

If I want a single pint, I have to draw out a tenner. If I only have £9.99 in my bank, this means I have to go without. But with contactless, I can have 2 pints.

So I win. As does the club because I've spent a few quid more.

There are very very few cons to this move.

If only we had a ground within half a mile of dozens of pubs and cafes, which stock hot drinks and beer aplenty. 😭

I know I'm an old fart, but whether it's my banking background, or I have my parents old fashioned views on money, but I have the need to know how much is in my account at any one point. If I used my card all the time, I could never keep track of my money. For day to day spending I draw out some cash each week, other than that all my bills are on SOs. Works for me.
#nevereverbeenoverdrawn
Exactly this.

I draw cash at the station on my way to the game, spend a chunk of it in the pub and it takes seconds to count what I have left so I know exactly what I've spent.

Maybe it's just the bankers in us.

#nevereverbeenoverdrawn

How much are you planning to spend at half time?!? 😂

Back
Top Bottom