A cashless stadium

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pilley-Blade

Reaction score
What do people think of the Lane being a 'cashless stadium' this season. I can see two sides to this. Taking contactless and cards is essential these days, especially with some of the half time queues, this presuming that the network will be quick enough to take a lot of payments in a short space of time. However, for people that don't have a debit card such as Under 16s etc this is an issue, or of the system goes down, then it will create chaos.

I only ever take cash on match days and don't have a contactless debt card.

If it's not contacless you should be able just to use the card terminal, even if its below £30.

Personally I'm happy but i think there still should be a cash option.

I think pigs operate a system where you can load "cash" to you season card and use that to pay.

It’s come to something when you deprive your employees the chance to nick a few quid from you on a Saturday,

First they came for the turnstile operators now the bovril sellers.

They will all have to re-train as bus drivers whilst they have the chance

If it's not contacless you should be able just to use the card terminal, even if its below £30.

Personally I'm happy but i think there still should be a cash option.

I think pigs operate a system where you can load "cash" to you season card and use that to pay.
Should be a separate lane for cash only. Just one

Get one. Everyone has one.

My Dad's fucking terrified that he's going to get double charged or something. He won't even entertain contactless.

What's safer? Having a plastic card in your wallet where, worst case scenario, someone with a portable card robbing device can potentially steal a maximum of £30 from you, which you'd more than likely be able to claim back and which never actually happens anyway, or having £100 cash in your pocket?

This is a game changer. This is bigger than promotion itself.

No longer will the **** behind the till have to count change as slowly as a blind 3 year old. This will speed up my drinking time from 1 pint and a bottle to 2 pints. I'll also not need to go to the bar as soon as it opens but maybe 4 minutes later.

This is heroic.

My Dad's fucking terrified that he's going to get double charged or something. He won't even entertain contactless.

What's safer? Having a plastic card in your wallet where, worst case scenario, someone with a portable card robbing device can potentially steal a maximum of £30 from you, which you'd more likely be able to claim back and which never actually happens anyway, or having £100 cash in your pocket?
Have it on your watch/phone and it alerts you as soon as any payment is taken. No cards to steal, no cash to swipe and it can’t be access without your code yet still contactless. Win/win.

Last edited:

Missed opportunity for a more clickbaity headline such as "Cashless Blades", "No more cash for Blades", "United tell supporters: no more cash".
Darren Burke of the Sheffield Star is on the case 🦹‍♂️.

On topic, I'm glad there is just function to use card now. I rarely use cash nowadays, so I've been forced to go 90 minutes without a pint in recent years. However, I can see the other side of the argument and that some people, more so older people, may not carry their card around with them, or feel comfortable using it. In an ideal world, it would have been phased in over the past few years, rather than the current u-turn.

Have it on your watch/phone and it alerts you as soon as any payment is taken. No cards to steal, no cash to swipe and it can’t be access without your code yet still contactless. Win/win.
Won't you need 4g if you are using your phone ? At half time at the ground getting data connectivity is difficult to say the least

down here in the south no one really uses cash, its all card, all public transport and pretty much any where you go.

I genuinely cant remember the last time I carried cash on me, its brave of BDTBL to go cashless as there will be a few that just prefer cash payment when buying a pint or a pie

What's safer? Having a plastic card in your wallet where, worst case scenario, someone with a portable card robbing device can potentially steal a maximum of £30 from you, which you'd more than likely be able to claim back and which never actually happens anyway, or having £100 cash in your pocket?
My mrs lost her card a couple of weeks back and whoever found it decided to spend a whopping 8 euro on a McDonalds. She rang the bank and they gave it back. Couldn’t believe it. Imagine ringing them up saying you lost 20 quid cash on the bus and them sending it out to you.

About bloody time. I never carry cash normally and end up having to withdraw cash every match day if I want a pint at the ground.

A much quicker and easier system for everyone.

Completely agree.

Back
Top Bottom