Anybody trapped in the Leppings Lane bottleneck?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

nopigfansintown

Reaction score
I see that South Yorkshire police have been giving themselves a big pat on the back after last evening, in stark contrast to the comments under this message . My own experience was one in which Blades were trapped behind two blocks of police having coins,traffic cones, glass bottles and fireworks thrown at us. Any attempt to retreat backwards or forwards to evade the missiles were met by baton charges. Of course this led to crushing,and a lot of distressed women and children.A few of the messages.:

https://twitter.com/patrickbigley1/status/1102850174555222016

https://twitter.com/Claireebear218/status/1102720215505387521

https://twitter.com/JeniParker4/status/1102728665681534976

It was clearly organised,as how the hell do you get fireworks and glass bottles to a derby match these days? My ears are fucking ringing today, as something went bang right next to my left tab.

After everything that has happened in that ground, how did they expect to get 3500 Blades through a gap about 3 metres at the most wide, if there had been a surge from behind what exactly had they planned for, absolute shambles.

How comes at the Lane there's the 'wall of steel' across Bramall Lane, everyone out of the South Stand goes up Bramall Lane, and likewise on John Street, completely blocked. That shit hole you are a matter of a couple of metres away through Herros fencing with a sheet over it. For one match why can't they send the wendy fans onto Penistone Road, less chance of any confrontation

SYP should be ashamed of themselves. At one point along Leppings Lane police formed a line to stop United fans walking up & away from the ground, whilst from behind Wednesday fans were pushing police back & towards the United fans. Meanwhile, fireworks, coins, rocks, bottles & cans were being thrown. But instead, the police elected to keep United fans together. Absolute embarrassment once again

More than one issue to consider......both sets of fans have factions eager to get stuck into the other lot. This type of violence has so much potential for causing real physical harm (and dare I say it, emotional), and this level of tribalism sickens me.

The Police - what were they thinking about with such a pathetic barrier separating both sets of fans? Add to this, whoever sanctioned both sets of fans leaving the ground at the same time must have a degree in moron level administration and organising. The Police are always self-congratulatory, why I'm unsure? They couldn't organise the proverbial piss-up in a brewery, and yet they feel this is worthy of a round of applause? Idiots, from top to bottom.

It's one (of several) reasons I prefer watching away games on TV. Anyone with their finger on the pulse of local footballing matters would have enough nous in knowing how and what to do to avoid such unpleasant scenes. All it takes is one demonstration of hostility and it's game on for the idiots, mostly young, barely formed, males.

I cannot express my disdain for this type of behaviour.

In the days leading up to the game I saw a statement telling us that United fans would be held back for ten minutes to allow home fans to leave the area. I was unaware of any announcement at the game itself to that effect, and consequently a lot of fans left the stadium only to be held back outside and become a sitting target in a confined area.

During the final minutes of the match there should have been reminders that we were to remain at a our seats, and only leave when we were instructed to. I know this would lead to howls of derision, and some would leave anyway, but it would give the majority a chance to remain in a safe place , giving the idiots on the other side of the barrier a chance to be cleared away

It was clearly organised,as how the hell do you get fireworks and glass bottles to a derby match these days? My ears are fucking ringing today, as something went bang right next to my left tab.

They might not have even taken the fireworks and glass bottles into the match, they've had enough time after to fetch them and get armed up

That ground just is not capable of holding big matches safely, especially the Leppings lane end. It gets congested with smaller crowds, let alone crowds of 30,000 plus. To be honest a few fireworks, coins and gesturing didn't bother me but I really felt for the poor people who had younger children with them.

There are idiots on both sides of course, but that ground. Because the trouble caused a slight delay in leaving the ground, we ended up in traffic and it took about 45 mins to get away and back to civalisation. I'd hate to have to go there every week

Fucking stupid from the SYP once again. Only set of police that can't cope with a derby. Still haven't learnt from all there previous mistakes. The policing was dreadful not only did they send everyone through a gap only a couple of meters wide they also just stood and watched as numerous objects was pelted upon the United fans. And then to top things off the police was overly violent once again stood in the way of people trying to get out of the way and then when anyone stopped they just got told to keep moving and was meet with forceful pushing. I had a police man push me after nothing at all and then raise his baton at me what would have happened if that was the other way around and a pushed a police man and then raised a metal bar at him for no reason what so ever I am pretty sure I would have woken up in a cell this morning, but as he has a badge he is aloud to do this. SYP always have been and always will be useless when it comes to anything like this and can never hold there hands up and admit they got it wrong which is the worst bit to take. The number of police that was stood well out of the way just watching the drama unfold while they stood with there hands in there pockets and a smile on there face was unbelievable. To say we pay for that service is a joke. They was all quite happy to earn there money while stood well out of the way with a smile on there face and giving each other a pat on the back as they actually believe they did a good job is a joke.

Is anybody suprised. The ordinary PC on the street are led by fools. Pigs didn't help by letting their own fans out into Leppings Lane when they could have exited by Penistone Road. They have learnt nothing in 30 years. Said it many times a full away support and there is no reason why Pig fans should be allowed down Leppings Lane before or after the match.

Plod as last year let us out of the ground and asked us to wait outside but after Pigs had dispersed. Problem was there were 4,000 to deal with unlike last year. The crumbling shithole we were exiting was a safety risk so no doubt Plod decided to let us out early. Cant blame them for that as the rusting concrete walkway was rammed. Blades weren't going to stand outside and be sitting targets for the debris coming over the fence so piled through left hand corner. Plod had to let Blades through after this but it was a small gap. Again further up the road Plod blocked the road off but were allowing people through a gap to the left.

Pigs must take some responsibility they are the ones who erected the flimsy barrier. It was an upgrade on the wheelie bins last year. While ever they allow Pig fans access to the ground via Leppings Lane end then trouble will continue.

What was the ring of hand holding stewards all about before the match? That was really going to keep rival fans apart:D

I'll await my constituency MP Clive Betts to comment on this to-day- NOT.

I don't know how the police force (service) works these days; to get to a management position do you have to have had a number of hours working the streets or can you jump in at a management level with a degree? There must be coppers out there who've clocked hundreds of hours at football matches who get told what to do at the next match and they think, 'ffs that isn't going to work.' But they still have to go out and do it.
Perhaps the first step is to get a PCC elected who understands the requirements of football matches, we can all sit here complaining but this is a pro-active step that football fans can take to get this shit sorted.

There'll always be some trouble in these derbies. It's damage limitation for the police. But to allow that situation at the end of the game despite being so heavily staffed was unnecessary and downright negligent.

There must be so many coppers who are better qualified to plan these operations than the people who actually do.

It won't be long until somebody is killed in one of these 'sitting duck' situations by a heavy object hitting their head.

Is anybody suprised. The ordinary PC on the street are led by fools. Pigs didn't help by letting their own fans out into Leppings Lane when they could have exited by Penistone Road. They have learnt nothing in 30 years. Said it many times a full away support and there is no reason why Pig fans should be allowed down Leppings Lane before or after the match.

Plod as last year let us out of the ground and asked us to wait outside but after Pigs had dispersed. Problem was there were 4,000 to deal with unlike last year. The crumbling shithole we were exiting was a safety risk so no doubt Plod decided to let us out early. Cant blame them for that as the rusting concrete walkway was rammed. Blades weren't going to stand outside and be sitting targets for the debris coming over the fence so piled through left hand corner. Plod had to let Blades through after this but it was a small gap. Again further up the road Plod blocked the road off but were allowing people through a gap to the left.

Pigs must take some responsibility they are the ones who erected the flimsy barrier. It was an upgrade on the wheelie bins last year. While ever they allow Pig fans access to the ground via Leppings Lane end then trouble will continue.

What was the ring of hand holding stewards all about before the match? That was really going to keep rival fans apart:D

I'll await my constituency MP Clive Betts to comment on this to-day- NOT.
I thought i heard over the tannoy that no home fans would be let out via Leppings Lane and had to leave the other way only? Also heard that Blades fans would be kept in for 10 mins after the final whistle? Wonder what changed syp swfc minds??

Is it really as simple as inept and incompetent policing or is there another reason behind yet another SYP shambles?

It's been well publicised that SYP would prefer not to have to police football matches. Any crowd trouble will justify calls for banning away supporters at both grounds. So is it that they really don't know how to manage supporters leaving the ground? How can they get it so wrong?

Last night's fiasco is extremely worrying as on the same day this happened, their own former match commander was in court charged with gross negligent manslaughter of 95 people! This is what a was said in court yesterday and reported by BBC -
Douglas Hopkins, an ex-Metropolitan Police match commander, said Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield left the police control room too late. He added he made a "fatal mistake" in letting fans in the ground via an exit gate without telling officers inside. In briefings, Mr Duckenfield emphasised evacuation and safe routes, what in fact he was doing there was evacuating a large number of supporters from what was a difficult and dangerous situation, he evacuated them into another area but not providing them with safe passage."

30 years later we still have people being placed in danger at the Leppings Lane end. How the hell is this still happening?

Last night's policing really does require some in-depth scrutiny, our local media should be demanding some answers on behalf of not just those that suffered last night but the whole population of South Yorkshire.

Give it two weeks and they'll be complaining about the cost again.

I was seeing a copper for a while last year. She despised the folk above who were in charge of organising the policing operations at football matches for how routinely clueless they are.

I will add I have a 4 year old son and after all the shenanigans before the game between north stand and away end in the lower tier, I said to myself that maybe I might well wait till he’s 18 to take him to an away game. There was a fella last night actively encourgaging his son who must have been 8 to join in. It’s just shit and pathetic. Don’t get me wrong I can handle myself but watching kids and young adults st away games is embarrassing

There should be a public enquiry into the suitability of SYP to police high profile football matches. Training and consultation with other police forces re how they manage it. It's a long held problem, that shows no sign of improving. It seems either we have vastly reduced ticket allocations, discriminating against South Yorkshire football fans and the clubs themselves; or we have an unsafe environment. It's hard to imagine how the Blades at the end of the game could've acted better - given the situation.

I came out of the ground and walked upto Walkley, via Hillsborough corner, with a few lads who can handle themselves big time and we had no problems whatsoever, who’d have thought it.

I came out of the ground and walked upto Walkley, via Hillsborough corner, with a few lads who can handle themselves big time and we had no problems whatsoever, who’d have thought it.

We were out of the ground at full time, up to dial house and back in ranmoor for 9:50. Strange isn’t it

Back
Top Bottom