JTW Schadenfreude Thread

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JOC & Fleck are the only two that worry me there.

Egan - too soon, he's only just joined, wouldn't want to leave yet unless to the PL, not sure any PL team will be sniffing
Stevens - again, no PL will be sniffing so why jump to a Villa, Birmingham,QPR etc.
Freeman - only because he's been called up recently, but again, no PL team will be looking
Baldock - see Stevens.
Basham - not flashy enough for PL teams. Only clubs in for him will be similar to us, he's loyal to us now.
McGoldrick - nobody will be spending the required amount for someone that has previously not been a prolific scorer and had a poor injury record
Sharp - Not a chance he is going anywhere, nowhere at all.

I think of our players a bit like what Poch does at Spurs and previously with Southampton. There are really good players and there are system players.

Southampton players then sold to Liverpool have been generally on the whole rubbish, compared to their performance at Southampton. Clyne, Lovren, Lallana are what I considered to be system players. Good under Poch, not so good elsewhere.

Maybe Mane could be considered a success, but I feel his is reaping the benefit of the system at Liverpool.

I feel players like Dier, Dembele, Vertonghen, Ericsson and even Kane and Alli are system players and I feel they wouldn't be as good elsewhere as they are at Tottenham

In regards to us you could definitely say the following are system players.

Egan - Probably will get better in this system but not a player who can play as a 2 higher up.
Basham - Defo system player, not a defender, not a midfielder. There is no other team he could move to tactically which would make him better.
Freeman - Not sure whether we can say he's on the decline, but his career was not going anywhere until this formation fell into his lap.
Sharp - The stars have aligned for him this season and is making the most of it.

To a degree I think even Fleck is also a system player and the only player I think could play a bit higher up is Baldock, because he's not a system player and more of a RB than RWB.

I think of our players a bit like what Poch does at Spurs and previously with Southampton. There are really good players and there are system players.

Southampton players then sold to Liverpool have been generally on the whole rubbish, compared to their performance at Southampton. Clyne, Lovren, Lallana are what I considered to be system players. Good under Poch, not so good elsewhere.

Maybe Mane could be considered a success, but I feel his is reaping the benefit of the system at Liverpool.

I feel players like Dier, Dembele, Vertonghen, Ericsson and even Kane and Alli are system players and I feel they wouldn't be as good elsewhere as they are at Tottenham

Egan - Probably will get better in this system but not a player who can play as a 2 higher up.
Basham - Defo system player, not a defender, not a midfielder. There is no other team he could move to tactically which would make him better.
Freeman - Not sure whether we can say he's on the decline, but his career was not going anywhere until this formation fell into his lap.
Sharp - The stars have aligned for him this season and is making the most of it.

To a degree I think even Fleck is also a system player and the only player I think could play a bit higher up is Baldock, because he's not a system player and more of a RB than RWB.

I agree with all that apart from Eriksen and Kane. I think they're better than system players and would fit in anywhere

Same as above agree with all that except Kane and Eriksson - who would both walk into practically any team in the world.

Running scared of having to prove himself in PL after flop at Swansea?
Possibly not. There is talk he may not be able to play for a their club this season having played for Chelsea U23's.

They are trying to get confirmation from FIFA, if they get the A-OK I suspect that transfer may be resurrected...

I would disagree re Sharp. He has scored 80 goals in 149 games since he came back to us, so it's certainly more than just a case of stuff just coming together for him this season. He got 20 goals under Adkins, with no discernable system being in operation at all. He would probably score in any team, in any league, with the right service.

I would disagree re Sharp. He has scored 80 goals in 149 games since he came back to us, so it's certainly more than just a case of stuff just coming together for him this season. He got 20 goals under Adkins, with no discernable system being in operation at all. He would probably score in any team, in any league, with the right service.

Absoloutely.

We're good at playing to his strengths but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't be able to do it at a different club, in a different system: his finishing and movement would make him a threat for whoever he played for.

West Brom looking at Woodburn.

Maybe he was unlucky here and with Barnes going back there may be a clear spot for him to exploit but feels like a serious downgrade between the two.

West Brom looking at Woodburn.

Maybe he was unlucky here and with Barnes going back there may be a clear spot for him to exploit but feels like a serious downgrade between the two.
Watch him go and get 15 goals there.

Woodburn would offer them something different. Being scared is a huge part of his game and I'm not sure Barnes offered that.

Let’s hope Galatasaray take Roofe away from Leeds.

There’s also a chance a prem team may take him aswell.

I'm quite interested to see how this Leeds keeper gets on. He's only played 43 matches in 4 years.

For however outstanding he is now, de Gea took some time to get used to the physicality of our game.

English is not Casilla's first language either and it's a new culture.

I remember when Bravo joined City, he was guilty of a few errors.

I can see this one backfiring to be honest.

He's 32 and played 10 league games for Real Madrid last season.

Looks a pretty good signing to be honest.

High pressure move for him though, and he'll be thrown straight in, going from one extreme to another.

Hopefully he helps them get promoted..... in 2nd place.

Reminds me of a quote by Fat Ron Atkinson when people were lauding the diets if the great Italian Giants. Something along the lines of "the shit teams at the bottom also eat pasta, you know".

Yes, he's employed by Real Madrid. So is the guy who cleans the shitters there. He has one cap for Spain. David White and Lee Hendrie have caps for England.

Can see him costing them a game before the season ends. Seems an unnecessary risk getting a foreign keeper in mid season.

Not many teams play like Bolton in La Liga.

I'd certainly have Madine getting into him.

Apparently going for £ 15 million, O’Connell has to be worth over £10 million.
Not for one minute saying he will leave but I could see incentive for the likes of him and Fleck to try their hand at a higher level if we do not go up this year.

Mepham going for more than B_ _ _ _ _ is absolutely scandalous/hilarious.

I still don't see why this couldn't have been pushed to January in the grand scheme of things.

Recovering from glandular fever must have been the lowest point of when we could sell him.

I still don't see why this couldn't have been pushed to January in the grand scheme of things.

Recovering from glandular fever must have been the lowest point of when we could sell him.

Its almost like we were in a weak bargaining position, due to needing the money...

Its almost like we were in a weak bargaining position, due to needing the money...
We were hardly going to the wall.

Still having the asset with a view to selling him for more in Jan wasn't unrealistic.

Unless he broke his leg, I can't think of a scenario where his transfer fee wouldn't have increased by the JTW.

We were hardly going to the wall.

Still having the asset with a view to selling him for more in Jan wasn't unrealistic.

Unless he broke his leg, I can't think of a scenario where his transfer fee wouldn't have increased by the JTW.

You didn't read the court documents relating to the ownership wrangle then?

Being Sheffield United is a naturally and consistently weak bargaining position, I suppose.

Being Sheffield United is a naturally and consistently weak bargaining position, I suppose.

There's an element of that: I'd certainly agree that it seems like, at times, we've just taken the 1st offer - players like Walker, Slew and DCL fit that bill.

However in the case of Brooks, based on the ownership situation, it's justifiable that we accepted a lower offer, as the season (and seemingly continued employment of Wilder) depended on it.

Honestly, if we got £30 for Fleck and O'Connell, we wouldn't reinvest it. The transfer fees are irrelevant unfortunately currently :(

This.

No matter what fee we receive, we’ll never see it properly reinvested. All this talk of bolstering the squad in the summer, although true, still leaves Wilder pulling rabbits out of hats. He’s working at 110%. It’s like trying to win formula 1 in a skoda....

Honestly, if we got £30 for Fleck and O'Connell, we wouldn't reinvest it. The transfer fees are irrelevant unfortunately currently :(

This.

No matter what fee we receive, we’ll never see it properly reinvested. All this talk of bolstering the squad in the summer, although true, still leaves Wilder pulling rabbits out of hats. He’s working at 110%. It’s like trying to win formula 1 in a skoda....

When you both use the term re-invest, what are you talking about? Do you mean it isn't reinvested into the club, or just that it isn't reinvested in the form of transfer fees?

Reactions: AJS
When you both use the term re-invest, what are you talking about? Do you mean it isn't reinvested into the club, or just that it isn't reinvested in the form of transfer fees?

Some form of fee. I know I’m going to be hammered for my post. “Fleck was free, JOC was free” etc. And they’re integral. So my point is moot, in a way. But instead of reinvesting a good portion of the Brooks money, we sign frees and loans. Was Madine top choice? It’s akin to going on a website and clicking ‘lowest to highest’ on the price filters. Give him what he asks for. It’s frustrating that we’re so close.

Some form of fee. I know I’m going to be hammered for my post. “Fleck was free, JOC was free” etc. And they’re integral. So my point is moot, in a way. But instead of reinvesting a good portion of the Brooks money, we sign frees and loans. Was Madine top choice? It’s akin to going on a website and clicking ‘lowest to highest’ on the price filters. Give him what he asks for. It’s frustrating that we’re so close.

'Kin 'ell Ainsley, I read both of your posts and couldn't explain why PaddysMad had suddenly become so eloquent, change your picture immediately :D

Back
Top Bottom