Updates from Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Madine won’t start, v likely to come on as sub though.....let’s not embarrass ourselves by booing him when he comes on, fair do’s if you don’t want to clap or cheer him but we need to support the team.

Taking my lad to his first ever game on Saturday, I don’t want his first impression to be we boo our own players (appreciate there’s a reason behind it and he won’t be knowing the ins and outs of why!)

UTB
To be fair he'll probably think we're booing Coutts if he gets on, some other fans have been puzzled by the "Cooooooouuuuuutttss" greeting.

Just tell your lad he's called Gary Boo.

If we're winning and in control v QPR he may just get a late cameo. If we're losing or drawing on 70 mins he may get a bit of game time. Whatever, I expect to see him come off the bench on Saturday and it will be interesting to see if he draws any boos.

If we're winning and in control v QPR he may just get a late cameo. If we're losing or drawing on 70 mins he may get a bit of game time. Whatever, I expect to see him come off the bench on Saturday and it will be interesting to see if he draws any boos.

I think the boos are inevitable - I hope there aren't any but alas there will be. Not as many as some think though because everything is always amplified on forums like this one but rarely translates with the same magnitude through to match day.

UTMB

I can understand why some are acknowledging his questionable past but admitting that he may be good for the team, and putting their faith in Wilder.

What makes less sense is attempting to excuse said behaviour, or imply that the victim was at fault, or that we've all gotten into fights when drunk (newsflash: not everyone does that).
I would be willing to bet that these same fans who are now making up excuses for him were the first to condemn him for these exact same acts when he was playing for Wednesday or Bolton.

I'll still support him as a United player if he shows a good attitude, but i'm not about to make excuses for his character either.

Agree with this 100%

I want him to be a success (like every United player) and really hope he is a changed man. I'm prepared to give him that chance but if he is still an arsehole and starts acting up then he will be rightly bombed out of the first team.
His deplorable (inexcusable) actions in previous years is hopefully a thing of the past and he has now grown up.
Over to you Gary - don't fk this up!

UTMB

Another laughable, shit house comment on here just because others disagree with you.

Check Mr Cowens' Twitter feed out. Does he qualify as a princess?

Yes

Reactions: Dkc
There is nothing to be gained by booing any of our players. The only likely impact will be a negative one – and completely counterproductive. I don’t particularly like Madine, nor do I condone his past actions – quite the opposite in fact. But I’m not going to boo him, or try and make the atmosphere hostile to any of our players. If you’re minded to do so on Saturday, you should probably reconsider your decision to attend, as the rest of us will be supporting the team towards winning a vital 3 points.

Whatever, it's a fascinating roll of the dice by CW and it could go either way. If GM is ineffective and we fall out of the top six there's going to be a fair bit of ill-feeling around. But if Madine scores goals that help us get promoted it will be a bit mental. I don't want him here, but others are right, booing him is not going to help the team at all.

it feels like the good old Ched Evans era when every thread about any topic becomes a Gary Madine thread, alongside all the other Gary Madine threads. Hopefully we'll get bored of the off field debate soon enough. There are only so many times I can read the debate about "unprovoked or not", what does the lad he hit feel etc etc.

For what it's worth my views are as follows

Wilder seems to take great care in getting the right type of personalities in for the dressing room so I'd be surprised if there will be a dressing room problem.

I think a proper target man is something we miss in certain games and situations and his performance at the lane last December was top drawer stuff.

I think he may help us get the ball in the box earlier as that ball becomes a better option with a 6' 4" unit prowling the area, rather than our current options. I know lots of fans have complained that we don't do this, but there is little point in hitting the box early if the defence are 70:30 favourites for the ball

The risks are obvious

1 He can't be match fit
2 He's back out on the piss and in trouble. Can he control himself for the next 20 weeks - time will tell

3 As above, I think the dressing room fear is a bit of a red herring, Billy will have taken the piss, they'll have all laughed it off and that's the end of it

Just let it go now will you! You have made your point, several times

But I hadn't made that point / asked that question before.

Are you saying those who oppose the signing should "let it go" while those who support it can post at their leisure? That's NKT not this forum

If we hadn't brought Madine in what would we have had to talk about on here for the last couple of weeks, makes sense to me

If we hadn't brought Madine in what would we have had to talk about on here for the last couple of weeks, makes sense to me
We’d have found something to moan about. Probably lack of signings.

Wilder somehow has to produce a silk purse of a promotion team from a sow’s Ear of a budget. If anyone can, he can. But our signings so far don’t quite match the aspiration IMO.

Pointless threads along the lines of:

"when did you last pick your nose at a football match?" :rolleyes:

"Who was the last player to have his laces come undone - away from home?" :rolleyes:

"Have you ever shat yourself while eating a satsuma while at the lane?" :rolleyes:

Thank god for GM - our saviour :D

Haven't spoken to him about it, in the immediate aftermath he wasn't Madines biggest fan as I'm sure you can imagine.

I also wouldn't have thought he'd be too chuffed with him coming back and will probably be avoiding west street on a Saturday night henceforth!

I think avoiding West Street is good advice at any time.

Could all well hit the fan if he missed a sitter on Saturday.....:rolleyes:

The amount of sitters we've missed in the last 18 months or so doesn't bear thinking about, if suddenly we're flinging shit because a new bloke misses one then we'll all need a slap.

Unfortunately he'll be under the microscope far more than any other player, rightly or wrongly, but that was obviously going to happen and both the club, Wilder and Madine will have considered it and will be expecting it (including a few boos). If they didn't expect this reaction (and Wilder has suggested he did) then they didn't do as much work on checking the background of the situation as they claim.
Missing the odd sitter is normal for strikers - as is being criticised for it - personally I would expect the shit to hit the fan if he did something stupid and got a red card, or gave away a penalty from a wreckless challenge - anything that hinted at lack of self control.

To be fair he'll probably think we're booing Coutts if he gets on, some other fans have been puzzled by the "Cooooooouuuuuutttss" greeting.

Just tell your lad he's called Gary Boo.
Haha yes you’re right! I remember Neil Warnock having to explain to gus uhlenbeek that we were shouting Guuuuus instead of booing him.

Off the bench means he will be sitting right in front of the fans at KO - tensions could be rising, nerves building up it could be a distraction to the players on the pitch as the fans are watching Madine and wondering if / when Madine will get to kick the ball as a Blade and who will come off in his place, "They brought Goldie off for that tosser!"
I think Wilder wants this out of the way as soon as possible, get him on the pitch, let him run around and try to get the fans onside. I'm going for: Madine to start.

PS: He's 45-1 to get a Hat-trick :)

Off the bench means he will be sitting right in front of the fans at KO - tensions could be rising, nerves building up it could be a distraction to the players on the pitch as the fans are watching Madine and wondering if / when Madine will get to kick the ball as a Blade and who will come off in his place, "They brought Goldie off for that tosser!"
I think Wilder wants this out of the way as soon as possible, get him on the pitch, let him run around and try to get the fans onside. I'm going for: Madine to start.

PS: He's 45-1 to get a Hat-trick :)

Don't know what anyone would give a toss about him being on the bench. I'm not going to be staring at the back of his head all game waiting for him to come on.

It's getting a bit ridiculous this Madine stuff.

I expect a few boos and a nervous clap and then we'll carry on.

Who was the player that smacked a lass in Roxys many moons ago?

Back
Top Bottom