Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Peace Gardens late 50s. A simpler space than now

View attachment 46704
"How to improve a Peace Garden" - by Sheffield City Council.

98~2055.jpg

Scene of car accident involving Jimmy Hagan, West Bromwich Albion Football Manager, 24th January 1964. Jimmy Hagan climbed, bleeding and bruised, through the broken windscreen of his car as it slowly sank in a canal. The car had toppled down a 150ft. embankment and plunged into the canal near the training ground of his First Division club, at Smethwick, Staffs.

Scene%20of%20car%20accident%20involving%20Jimmy%20Hagan,%20West%20Bromwich%20Albion%20Football%20Manager,%2024th%20January%201964.%20Jimmy%20Hagan%20climbed,%20bleeding%20and%20bruised,%20through%20the%20broken%20windscreen%20of%20his%20car%20as%20it%20slowly%20sank%20in%20a%20canal.%20The%20car%20had%20toppled%20down%20a%20150ft.%20embankment%20and%20plunged%20into%20the%20canal%20near%20the%20training%20ground%20of%20his%20First%20Division%20club,%20at%20Smethwick,%20Staffs.

p_00438766.jpg

Platform A. The four seasons cafe with noisy coffee maker. Pond Street Nora accusing everyone of being “fuckin homos”. “Your’e oreight you-hoo”.

The John Menzies kiosk- “ the threpenny bit” where first dates were met, or not? How many more number 41 buses from Hackenthorpe can there be before she turns up?

A sneck-lifter in the Penny Black before an assault on the Claymore and Mulberry tavern. A trip down the Craizy Daisy.

Three Tuns, Golden Ball, Museum, Stonehouse, Buccaner, Wapentake, Nelson, then onto the Penny Farthiing (later Scamps). A shivering snog at the bus stop, No mobile phones! No headphones! A burger at Vera’s van. A black cab home at clock and a half Work the next morning after 3 hours sleep.

It all started on platform A.

Scene of car accident involving Jimmy Hagan, West Bromwich Albion Football Manager, 24th January 1964. Jimmy Hagan climbed, bleeding and bruised, through the broken windscreen of his car as it slowly sank in a canal. The car had toppled down a 150ft. embankment and plunged into the canal near the training ground of his First Division club, at Smethwick, Staffs.

Scene%20of%20car%20accident%20involving%20Jimmy%20Hagan,%20West%20Bromwich%20Albion%20Football%20Manager,%2024th%20January%201964.%20Jimmy%20Hagan%20climbed,%20bleeding%20and%20bruised,%20through%20the%20broken%20windscreen%20of%20his%20car%20as%20it%20slowly%20sank%20in%20a%20canal.%20The%20car%20had%20toppled%20down%20a%20150ft.%20embankment%20and%20plunged%20into%20the%20canal%20near%20the%20training%20ground%20of%20his%20First%20Division%20club,%20at%20Smethwick,%20Staffs.

p_00438766.jpg

Some great photo's there. I love seeing the clothes and uniforms from that era. It reminds me of my childhood. Men used to wear suits a lot back then. In the mining community where I grew up, it was de rigueur to wear a navy suit and tie, white shirt and flat cap. I don't remember "casual wear" like jeans and trainers and track suits being the norm amongst the older generation till many years later.

The guy on the left in the top picture is obviously from the local press. He's got what looks like a little Rollei camera in his hand. But look at that hairstyle! And that little "v-neck" jumper under his suit! On the far right of that photo it looks like Dixon of Dock Green is on the scene, with his black leather gloves. And those firemen's helmets! That's when firemen were proper firemen. Before all this "Health & Safety" nonsense kicked in.

I found this...

hagan_testimonial_500.jpg

And wondered if any old boys on here went to this game?

It's before my time, sadly. I would have loved to see him play. I wonder if there's any footage of him anywhere? I may have a trawl of the web to see if I can find some.

I also found this article which is by Jimmy Hagan's brother, Colin. I found it really interesting - there's several tabs to click through telling Jimmy's story.

http://www.raggyspelk.co.uk/washington_pages/selections3/jimmy_hagan.html

I found this...

hagan_testimonial_500.jpg

And wondered if any old boys on here went to this game?

It's before my time, sadly. I would have loved to see him play. I wonder if there's any footage of him anywhere? I may have a trawl of the web to see if I can find some.

I also found this article which is by Jimmy Hagan's brother, Colin. I found it really interesting - there's several tabs to click through telling Jimmy's story.

http://www.raggyspelk.co.uk/washington_pages/selections3/jimmy_hagan.html
In dressing room before kick off

SU-037-8x6-PHOTO-SHEFF-UNITED-1958.jpg

The photo is from a book by Richard Wiseman & is taken on Orgreave Lane, Handsworth.
Sheffield corporation tried two experimental green liverys in 1952 to try & cut re painting costs. It was applied to 23 trams in total along with several buses.
There was two different liverys, the dark green one as seen in the photo, & a lighter green version with dark green bands.
The public outcry was enough to force the corporation to go back to their original colours & within 14 months, all the green ones had been repainted in blue & Cream.
'Public outcry' - bloody hell, you'd think they had more to moan about as they trudged through the grey tundra that was the fifties, meat was still rationed in 1952 for a start.

Back
Top Bottom