Duffy?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gee

Reaction score
I am not a football manager or super knowledgeable as a lot you are but nearly every game we play he gets subbed off and its nailed on that within 5 mins off him going off do we concede a goal. Am I the only one that can see this or is Chrissy wilder just ignoring this fact and thinking sod it I have to take him off anyway as I do it every game.
I might be very wrong but from what I can see why alter the dynamics every game at the cost of a goal and the difference usually is a draw instead of the win. it shows me just how good a player Duffy actually is.
On a side note McGoldrick misses some right sitters, you could even see Billy today against Rotherham saying how the fuck did you miss that one. He Should have left that one for Billy, but hey ho. Just wish sometimes he wouldn't sub players so late in the game when there's no need as it costs us way too often.
Just my opinion like I say I may be totally wrong, but it seems to happen a lot.....

I just don’t think we have a more defensive formation to drop into. Don’t necessarily think it’s Duffy himself just the fact that when he goes off we drop deeper and deeper without having anyone else on the pitch who can help us to break out and invariably we get penned in instead of being able to keep hold of the ball.

Johnson and Washington sometimes are brought on to help us do that but we don’t seem to be able to get other players far enough the field to be able to help them out.

That exact situation happened today when Johnson was carrying the ball out but lost it before Fleck could get up with him.

I am not a football manager or super knowledgeable as a lot you are but nearly every game we play he gets subbed off and its nailed on that within 5 mins off him going off do we concede a goal. Am I the only one that can see this or is Chrissy wilder just ignoring this fact and thinking sod it I have to take him off anyway as I do it every game.
I might be very wrong but from what I can see why alter the dynamics every game at the cost of a goal and the difference usually is a draw instead of the win. it shows me just how good a player Duffy actually is.
On a side note McGoldrick misses some right sitters, you could even see Billy today against Rotherham saying how the fuck did you miss that one. He Should have left that one for Billy, but hey ho. Just wish sometimes he wouldn't sub players so late in the game when there's no need as it costs us way too often.
Just my opinion like I say I may be totally wrong, but it seems to happen a lot.....
Yes, I see it that way as well. We're ahead, it's 3/4 of the way through the match, let's take Duffy off. I then get this immediate feeling of dread that we about to try to do what for our many strengths is something we are rubbish at.

Amidst all the debate about Duffy being subbed, what about his goal? We should be raving about it, Messiesque in the close control and finish. I've come to the conclusion Wilder subbed him to teach him a lesson for having a shot and not passing it out to the wing. We've got little to no creativity without him and we fuck up when he's taken off. To cap it all he wasn't even at his best today.

I think he subs Duffy to emphasize our ineptitude at defending
If we are attacking we are not defending so paradoxically we are better defensively when we don’t go there.

Duffy was stuck out on the wing for the majority of his career.

Think what he could have done in the game if he’d been switched to the free role when he was 21 or 22.

JFH at Burton asked him to play “the zola role” and he’s never looked back.

(Side note Nigel Clough went to Burton and almost immediately dropped him)

I think he subs Duffy to emphasize our ineptitude at defending
If we are attacking we are not defending so paradoxically we are better defensively when we don’t go there.

Is your surname Jumbo?

I think you see one of the few players that can actually find space in a game and hold the ball up - even in midfield.

We have ZERO other ability to hold the ball up front and that includes Billy and Leon.

We have sunk, quite recently into a sitting deep situation and trying to hang onto things, but primarily as we cannot hold the ball up front and wait for support - even if that support is minimal. Taking Duffy off is fine, but the replacements simply put more pressure on those behind.

We would be better keeping him on for 90 minutes and occasional totally resting him in a game.

FFS, we ALL expected Woodburn to be in this team and doing good things and as well as Leon being totally out of it, even when he comes on, we are now creating problems that need solving and quickly.

UTB

Does confuse me a touch. The game was crying out for someone just in front of the back line, they had so much space in between our midfield and defence. Take Fleck off instead of Duffy with everything else the same and you could have Basham/Norwood shielding JOC/Egan/Stearman with Duffy/Johnson roaming behind Clarke

Interesting post.

I am not a fan of habitually subbing the same players time and time again. It smacks of a lack of imaginitive thinking.

Duffy and Sharp are the main culprits and are arguably our 2 best players (certainly 2 of).

That said, I’d be confident Chris is managing the players workload, to some extent, and will probably be giving consideration to this when subs are made, which are also sometimes tactical as well.

But I would have to say that subbing Sharp and Duffy in particular as often as happens rarely improves us, and so I have to question the wisdom !!

UTB

Fair observation and agree it appears to be a continuous school boy error by Wilder.
However CW has all the technology and a team of experts replaying every single performance to the nth degree.
The United players have gps monitors built into their shirts, so Wilder has computer data showing facts of how much work every player does throughout every single minute, no one can hide.

Don’t know for a fact but logic suggests that Duffy’s output with and especially without the ball slows right down after 70 minutes.
Maybe they’ve had him doing shuttle runs in the gym and his body can only play hi tempo for 70 minutes then he’s spent.

We could simply ask Duffy to pace himself so he can last the full 90 minutes but if Wilder wants to play a pressing game then it’s vital that every single player works so hard off the ball, otherwise the effectiveness of the team system breaks down.

Regards McGoldrick he misses chances but is far more involved than any of our other strikers.
He’s more of a link player between midfield and attack. Able to play fill in playing the Duffy role.
Maybe tactically Wilder sees McG as really important, see him as a Duffy type regards creativity.

Thats with the ball but in modern football many managers are as interested about what players can do when out of possession.
Closing down and working hard to win the ball back is a major factor for many successful teams.

As spectators we don’t tend to take much notice of any player when they don’t have the ball however as already said with the latest technology (gps monitors) no one can hide anymore. Agree though, we lose creativity when we don’t have Duffy.

Back
Top Bottom