first away game watching the blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Doncaster 0-1 Blades. Jamie Murphy screamer when we had Clough. Done around 40 away games since doing 24 grounds

26th Dec 1979

Bolton away 1984 - lost 3-1 but still got promoted

Another early one was away at Everton in the league cup. I think we lost 4-0 - 1984/85?

Think I gave away games a miss for a while after that

I remember seeing us win at Huddersfield in the FA cup under Bassett - that 's probably my first away win

Filbert Street 3rd round of the FA Cup in 76. We played shite and got mullered 3 nowt. I was only 9 years old but will always remember TC taking a free kick and absolutely welting the fucker at one of those big daft plate glass executive boxes behind the goal. I don’t know if it was a howler or not

26th Dec 1979

Bolton away 1984 - lost 3-1 but still got promoted

Another early one was away at Everton in the league cup. I think we lost 4-0 - 1984/85?

Think I gave away games a miss for a while after that

I remember seeing us win at Huddersfield in the FA cup under Bassett - that 's probably my first away win
Remember 3 of them games very well.

Bolton. Kicked off big time outside the ground.

Everton. Night match,cunts put windows through on the coach on way to the match,fuckin freezing going back home.

Huddersfield. Took firms mini bus from work to match and didn't tell the boss (pig),he found the car park ticket in the van and I got a right fuckin for it.

Didn't go to any away games (other than hillsborough) until I moved from Sheffield. I think the first one I went to was probably 1988 New Year's Day at Blackburn. It pissed it down all game, we lost 3-1 and I think Steve Archibald (on loan from Spurs?) got a couple.

Mine was Hillsborough does that count ? About 1967ish, Birchenall scored 2 but the pigs pegged us back to 2-2. Was in the South stand when it was wooden and the noise was truly terrifying for a young boy like me.
Same here. First real away trip without parents was a 3-2 win at Forest when TC was running the midfield.

12th March 1966 but the half time score was 1-1 and Birchenall scored both goals for us.

24th Sept 1966 was 2-2 draw too . We were winning 2-0 but our scorers were Woodward and Jones
Was the later game the one where Birch did a Maradona and punched a cross into the net ? the difference being the ref spotted this one and disallowed the goal.

Was the later game the one where Birch did a Maradona and punched a cross into the net ? the difference being the ref spotted this one and disallowed the goal.
Dont know (I didnt go to matches regularly until 1970) but I have read of Doc Pace punching the ball into the net. LSF should know

Didn't go to any away games (other than hillsborough) until I moved from Sheffield.
Same here Highfield. Went to one County Cup game at The Sty (think we lost on penalties?).
First proper away game would have been Elm Park, March 1987. Although it probably counts as a "home" match for me!

4-3.

Hatton opened the scoring, York then made it 2-1, Kenworthy penalty 2-2 before York led again. In the final minutes two headers from Trusson made it 4-3. I was supposed not to bother watching the Blades again after relegation but I was in York staying over at my girlfriend's house that weekend and decided to go to the match!
Thanks , better memory than me

Filbert Street 3rd round of the FA Cup in 76. We played shite and got mullered 3 nowt. I was only 9 years old but will always remember TC taking a free kick and absolutely welting the fucker at one of those big daft plate glass executive boxes behind the goal. I don’t know if it was a howler or not

Keith Edwards' first team debut. He came on as sub.

Oldham Away 85/86 - won 5-1 that was a league game.

I had also been to see us at Skegness Town that summer who we gave a good hiding to.

So my early thoughts as an 8 year old was that we smashed teams away from home.

Huddersfield 1968 followed by Mansfield in cup when the wall came down. I was lucky enough to be in the home end at Mansfield

Same here. First real away trip without parents was a 3-2 win at Forest when TC was running the midfield.

That sounds like one of the games at the start of our amazing run at the start of the 1971/72 season.

They had Ian (Storey) Moore as their top player but TC ruled the day. We were superb and it's so difficult to describe just how good we were during that period.

Come on Chris take us back to those days.

Not officially a first away match but I'd have been about 8, not long after me Dad died.
Was taken to the Sty by one of his mates in the home end for some match or other.

I wasn't that bothered about footie at that time. As I say, not officially an away match, but since I've been a Blade I've classed it as one. :D

Dont know (I didnt go to matches regularly until 1970) but I have read of Doc Pace punching the ball into the net. LSF should know
Yep, remember something like that happening involving Sherman. Like Metal said, he was rumbled, unlike Doc who got away with it.
For the record, my first away game was Man U in April 1963, I was 10 and went with two 14 year olds. Them were t'days :)
My second away game was the Lincoln cup game the following season, mentioned earlier on here and I well remember the bridge collapse too.
And we also played in the tangerine kit that day too.

Rotherham United away 1979 on the Tivoli end won 2,-1, I think Jeff Bourne scored , paddled in piss at half time and was very close to where the terrace wall collapsed at full time. The only crowd crush i have been in that was similar was those fucking tunnels on the leppings lane, also 1979. Tivoli end is long gone but that death trap of a stand is still there.
That was mine too. I was 9 at the time. Remember the wall collapsing.

Halifax Town: Chris Guthrie hat trick
Football Special train, straight from York Railway Museum, light bulbs removed and thrown out of windows/at opposing fans, market stall frame thing also 'thrown'.....

It was very dark on the train back to Sheffield due to lack of light bulbs!

Without checking, I'm thinking Best was both smaller and lighter than Brooks so, like you, I have no worries about the latters physique . In fact, for the type of player he is I reckon he's almost the perfect build.

Brooks is an inch shorter than Best. I have no idea about weight. The modern game is a different kettle of fish. Look at someone like Rashford with his shirt off.

By the time Best was Brooks’ age, he won the 1st Division title twice, the charity shield, played nearly 200 games for Man Utd domestically & continentally and been capped over a dozen times by Northern Ireland. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere Brooks has played 90mins four times for us in the league. We seriously need to scale down the Brooks mania on here.

Anfield. Won 2-1. Flo with two and Rush for them. 94 I think.

Easter Saturday. Bloody freezing. Snow on the tops going over. Great result. Can't believe we got relegated a few weeks later.

(Mind you that was down to the dodgy events on the other side of Stanley Park).

The first one I have a clear recollection of was a fine 2-1 away win in the FA Cup against a strong Bolton side which included Nat Lofthouse, in front of over 47,000 in January 1956.

Peter Wragg got both goals and Colin Grainger and Joe Shaw (naturally) both gave outstanding performances.

Many years later on one of the most memorable occasions in my life, I was fortunate enough to be invited to lunch with Nat ( considered by many to be England's greatest ever centre forward ) and a friend of his.

It was at this lunch that he described Joe to me as " Easily the finest centre half I ever played against " .

Those words will stay with me until the day I shuffle off this mortal coil and , coming from a man who had played against the best centre halves the world had to offer at that time, should give an indication to those Blades who were not fortunate enough to see the great man, just how good he was.
I have probably reminisced before (hazard of old age) that a few days before that game, on ITV's Take Your Pick, there was a contestant from Bolton, and in the general chit-chat it emerged he was a Bolton fan. Michael Miles, the presenter, said he hoped his team won on Saturday, and ITV had to apologise very publicly for not maintaining the neutrality required of public-service broadcasters. Media bias against us goes back along way... No idea why I remember that.

Easter Saturday. Bloody freezing. Snow on the tops going over. Great result. Can't believe we got relegated a few weeks later.

(Mind you that was down to the dodgy events on the other side of Stanley Park).

I was at that game. One of the few times I’ve had a bet on the score. Had United to win 2-1 and remember Littlejohn being clean through, one on one, in the dying minutes, I was willing him to fuck up and he didn’t let me down!

Won £64 quid ;)

Cambridge United away, May 5 1979. The final away game of the 78/79 season, where we were effectively relegated to the 3rd tier. It was a couple of days before my 14th birthday, and I had insisted that what I wanted for my birthday was to see the Blades away in our most important game of the season to date. First of all my parents wouldn't let me go. Eventually my dad agreed to drive me down to Cambridge. He sat in the car reading his book while I suffered what would be the first of many Blades heartbreaks.

Boxing Day 79 was my 4th or 5th away game.

Back
Top Bottom