View from Southampton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Roygbiv

Reaction score
“Totally f*cked off with that. The wheels are well and truly off, nothing to do with luck. Something is deeply wrong. “

“Gonna be late for work after watching that crap.
Totally outplayed,5 yellows,1 red and a disgusting performance.
No respect for the fans...
Blades were deserving winners so don't want to take anything away from them.
Hope they get to Wembley. “

“Utter drivel. Embarrassed. Serious questions need to be asked of Koeman for the first time after that. “

“Not a single positive, not one attacking moment I can remember. Not one save made to deny us.Utter trash heap crap. “

“I'm the sunniest of sunny optimists. I got nothing after this. Heartbroken.”

“utter, utter gash
we were not unlucky tonight, we were utter gash
left toby on the bench ffs
koeman walked away from clough at the end instead of shaking hands, not cool either “

“to lose to a League 1 side in the quarter finals of a cup is utterly embarrassing.”

“Out thought
Out fought
Out played.
Absolutely rubbish,no goal threat at all and i still maintain despite all the lovers that JWP is not good enough.
That can also be said for several others against the might of league one. “

“At least I feel like a Saints fan again. “

“Not one for the big meltdown after a defeat, but you have to say this was a shocker and off the back of four straight defeats, extremely worrying. Battered by a team in mid-table in League One and our hilarious top four chat now looks, frankly, a complete embarrassment.”

“Absolutely abject; outfought, outthought and outplayed by a division 1 side. We never looked as though we would score in a month of Tuesdays. And so unprofessional to pick up unnecessary yellow cards for Morgan and Victor, who therefore will miss the Everton match. At least (presumably) we shall get to see what Reed can do against the Toffees. And unforgivable for RK to not shake hands with and congratulate Clough. Well done the Blades! You deserved it; we could easily have lost 3:0 or 4:0. Disaaaaster! “

“The better side won, which is embarrassing when they're two divisions below. “

“Twitter blowing up with reports of fights and riots from our folk. All we need. “

“RK walking away from clough when he put his hand out to shake it, was poor IMO “

“Some people get silly about losing to lower league opposition. We beat Man U in 1976 in the FA Cup Final FFS. It is written in the Football Bible that these things will happen and they frequently do. We should congratulate Seff Utd. and move on. “

“League 1. Dumped out of the cup by a League 1 side. “

“Walked right past (some trouble). United fans giving a lot of abuse and Saints giving it back, escalated from there. Both sides to blame. Why cant people do what i did - shrug it off and walk on? “

“I do not like Clough one bit but for Koeman not to shake his hand rings of a bad loser. “

“Sheff Utd deserved it, well done to them. “

“Ironic that posters saying our squad depth cost us the game ...... Sheffield United bought on 17 year old & another making his debut!! “

“Embarrassing really
Sheffield ****ing utd “

“They deserve it, fair play to them. We have been outplayed and knocked out by an average L1 side. “

“One of the most embarrassing defeats ever. “

“Sheffield were brilliant they fully deserved to win “

Oh dear. They're not taking it very well, are they?

To be honest, they were the worst Premiership team we've beaten this year.

On the contrary AgaMonkey. Some very gracious comments there from the Saints fans who have every right to be fucked off considering the league they're in, the players they have, and the distance they've travelled for a game on a Tuesday evening.

I have been at work, what happened with RK refusing to shake hands? JUst mardy or based on an incident/s?

I have been at work, what happened with RK refusing to shake hands? JUst mardy or based on an incident/s?
When Morgan was sent off he appeared to have words with Koeman. Not sure if anything happened there.

Nice reactions to be fair. Don't like the talk of aggro, hopefully nothing to take away from two sets of fans who made a good cup atmosphere.

It was just some fifteen year olds who looked like young Joey Essexes jogging up and down Bramall Lane, posturing and giving it the Billy big bollocks. All quite embarrassing, really.

Oh dear. They're not taking it very well, are they?

To be honest, they were the worst Premiership team we've beaten this year.
I'm not having that!

Fulham were absolutely abysmal, especially at home.

I'm assuming this person isn't old enough to remember when the two players to my left would have made short work of Southampton....
or back in 2006 when the likes of Montgomery and Shipperley embarrassed them :D

It was just some fifteen year olds who looked like young Joey Essexes jogging up and down Bramall Lane, posturing and giving it the Billy big bollocks. All quite embarrassing, really.
Ah yes, how is Potter??;)

I'm assuming this person isn't old enough to remember when the two players to my left would have made short work of Southampton....

Yes, I'm afraid condescending remarks from a fucking Southampton fan are rather like being savaged by a dead sheep....

Based on the fact that he is, was and has always been a cheating miserable cunt.

True. I always associate Koeman with the cynical/professional foul he got away with before scoring against Taylor's England.

Incidents that Clough watched from the bench before coming on as sub of course. Did he not like that!

Respect, my arse!

True. I always associate Koeman with the cynical/professional foul he got away with before scoring against Taylor's England.

Incidents that Clough watched from the bench before coming on as sub of course. Did he not like that!

Respect, my arse!

Totally agree, will never forgive the fat sour faced cheat for that England game. I hope Cloughie did disrespect him, no more than he deserves the pink faced twat.

A view from The Times... (I like the last 3 paragraphs, read those if you skip the rest!).

Sheffield United 1 Southampton 0

Sheffield United’s love affair with cup football does not appear to be in danger of ending imminently after South-ampton became their latest victims at Bramall Lane last night.

This was not an upset in the traditional sense, not a smash-and-grab or a fluke. If anything, the Sky Bet League One side should have enjoyed a greater margin of victory.

Southampton, insipid from the outset, were swept aside by a United team who played with courage, vigour, determination and, above all, real quality as they booked their place in the semi-finals of the Capital One Cup.

Marc McNulty’s 63rd-minute strike, a scrambled effort from no more than a yard, won the tie, but had it not been for Fraser Forster, the Southampton goalkeeper, the home team might have won by three or four.

“I can’t put my finger on why we do this,” Nigel Clough, the United manager, said of his team’s achievement in defeating yet another Barclays Premier League club. “We like playing teams from higher leagues. We relish it. I don’t think the players are daunted by it all and we really look forward to this sort of evening.

“I think we should have had a second goal tonight, but it was a remarkable performance from the players and supporters.”

United’s record in cup competitions under Clough — they have lost only twice in 18 games — is remarkable, given their present standing of fifth in the third tier of English football.

Last season’s run to the semi-finals of the FA Cup, which included victories over Aston Villa and Fulham, then of the Premier League, brought a sense of belief and confidence, not just to the players but to the club as a whole.

Their run in this competition, which also includes a penalty shoot-out victory away to West Ham United in the second round, may not have been quite as dramatic but it has still captured the imagination.

Even before kick-off, the sense of anticipation around the stadium was that Southampton might struggle to cope after a run of four consecutive league defeats. The feeling rang true from the start as the side who had excelled in the opening weeks of the Barclays Premier League season simply faded into the background.

United, bright from the first whistle, could have taken an early lead when Forster spilt a free kick and Jay McEveley’s looping effort landed on top of the crossbar.

Southampton, lethargic in the opening period, were almost caught cold at the start of the second half when Bob Harris, the United left back, produced a fine cross to the far post, where the unmarked Jamie Murphy shot wide.

Murphy went close again minutes later when his cross, which appeared destined for the far corner, was turned away by Forster and a follow-up effort from Che Adams, a substitute, was blocked well by Nathaniel Clyne.

United, playing with zest and flair, carved out another wonderful opportunity, only for Forster to produce a save to deny Michael Doyle again.

When the breakthrough came it was no more than the home side deserved. Harris lined up a free kick on the edge of the penalty area and when his fierce effort was only parried by Forster, McNulty pounced to make certain.

Southampton briefly threatened a fightback, but the home side looked as though they could run riot with both Jamie Murphy and McNulty thwarted by Forster.

The final ten minutes must have seemed like an eternity to the majority of the 21,000 inside Bramall Lane, but when Florin Gardos, the Southampton centre back, was sent off for a professional foul on McNulty, United were home and dry.

Koeman left the technical area without shaking hands with Clough, not only disappointed with his team’s performance but also with the behaviour of his opposite number.

“I shake hands with people who have respect for me as a coach and who have respected the fourth official,” Koeman said. “The behaviour of Sheffield United’s bench, I’ve never seen that. That was why I didn’t shake hands.”

Perhaps it was Koeman’s attempt at deflecting attention from his side’s fifth consecutive defeat.

What it will not do is detract from another wonderful chapter in Sheffield United’s remarkable run.

Sheffield United (4-5-1): M Howard — R Flynn, C Basham, J McEveley, R Harris — J Campbell-Ryce (sub: C Adams, 46min), M Doyle, F Cuvelier (sub: J Baxter, 73), L Reed (sub: K Wallace, 81), J Murphy — M McNulty. Substitutes not used: H McGahey, M Higdon, I Turner, T Kennedy. Booked: Basham, Harris, Cuvelier.

Southampton (4-2-3-1): F Forster — N Clyne, J Fonte, F Gardos, M Targett (sub: L Isgrove, 46) — V Wanyama (sub: T Alderweireld, 74), M Schneiderlin — S Mané (sub: E Mayuka, 71), J Ward-Prowse, R Bertrand — S Long. Substitutes not used: K Davis, M Yoshida, H Reed. Booked: Clyne, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Mané. Sent off: Gardos.

Referee: M Oliver.​

A view from The Times... (I like the last 3 paragraphs, read those if you skip the rest!).

Sheffield United 1 Southampton 0

Sheffield United’s love affair with cup football does not appear to be in danger of ending imminently after South-ampton became their latest victims at Bramall Lane last night.

This was not an upset in the traditional sense, not a smash-and-grab or a fluke. If anything, the Sky Bet League One side should have enjoyed a greater margin of victory.

Southampton, insipid from the outset, were swept aside by a United team who played with courage, vigour, determination and, above all, real quality as they booked their place in the semi-finals of the Capital One Cup.

Marc McNulty’s 63rd-minute strike, a scrambled effort from no more than a yard, won the tie, but had it not been for Fraser Forster, the Southampton goalkeeper, the home team might have won by three or four.

“I can’t put my finger on why we do this,” Nigel Clough, the United manager, said of his team’s achievement in defeating yet another Barclays Premier League club. “We like playing teams from higher leagues. We relish it. I don’t think the players are daunted by it all and we really look forward to this sort of evening.

“I think we should have had a second goal tonight, but it was a remarkable performance from the players and supporters.”

United’s record in cup competitions under Clough — they have lost only twice in 18 games — is remarkable, given their present standing of fifth in the third tier of English football.

Last season’s run to the semi-finals of the FA Cup, which included victories over Aston Villa and Fulham, then of the Premier League, brought a sense of belief and confidence, not just to the players but to the club as a whole.

Their run in this competition, which also includes a penalty shoot-out victory away to West Ham United in the second round, may not have been quite as dramatic but it has still captured the imagination.

Even before kick-off, the sense of anticipation around the stadium was that Southampton might struggle to cope after a run of four consecutive league defeats. The feeling rang true from the start as the side who had excelled in the opening weeks of the Barclays Premier League season simply faded into the background.

United, bright from the first whistle, could have taken an early lead when Forster spilt a free kick and Jay McEveley’s looping effort landed on top of the crossbar.

Southampton, lethargic in the opening period, were almost caught cold at the start of the second half when Bob Harris, the United left back, produced a fine cross to the far post, where the unmarked Jamie Murphy shot wide.

Murphy went close again minutes later when his cross, which appeared destined for the far corner, was turned away by Forster and a follow-up effort from Che Adams, a substitute, was blocked well by Nathaniel Clyne.

United, playing with zest and flair, carved out another wonderful opportunity, only for Forster to produce a save to deny Michael Doyle again.

When the breakthrough came it was no more than the home side deserved. Harris lined up a free kick on the edge of the penalty area and when his fierce effort was only parried by Forster, McNulty pounced to make certain.

Southampton briefly threatened a fightback, but the home side looked as though they could run riot with both Jamie Murphy and McNulty thwarted by Forster.

The final ten minutes must have seemed like an eternity to the majority of the 21,000 inside Bramall Lane, but when Florin Gardos, the Southampton centre back, was sent off for a professional foul on McNulty, United were home and dry.

Koeman left the technical area without shaking hands with Clough, not only disappointed with his team’s performance but also with the behaviour of his opposite number.

“I shake hands with people who have respect for me as a coach and who have respected the fourth official,” Koeman said. “The behaviour of Sheffield United’s bench, I’ve never seen that. That was why I didn’t shake hands.”

Perhaps it was Koeman’s attempt at deflecting attention from his side’s fifth consecutive defeat.

What it will not do is detract from another wonderful chapter in Sheffield United’s remarkable run.

Sheffield United (4-5-1): M Howard — R Flynn, C Basham, J McEveley, R Harris — J Campbell-Ryce (sub: C Adams, 46min), M Doyle, F Cuvelier (sub: J Baxter, 73), L Reed (sub: K Wallace, 81), J Murphy — M McNulty. Substitutes not used: H McGahey, M Higdon, I Turner, T Kennedy. Booked: Basham, Harris, Cuvelier.

Southampton (4-2-3-1): F Forster — N Clyne, J Fonte, F Gardos, M Targett (sub: L Isgrove, 46) — V Wanyama (sub: T Alderweireld, 74), M Schneiderlin — S Mané (sub: E Mayuka, 71), J Ward-Prowse, R Bertrand — S Long. Substitutes not used: K Davis, M Yoshida, H Reed. Booked: Clyne, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Mané. Sent off: Gardos.

Referee: M Oliver.​

Flawed . The last 3 paragraphs from the Times match report are mint. Mr Clough gets frustrated and excited just like us fans.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom