Young Blades #1 - Louie Marsh

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Young Blades (Louie Marsh) - Does Louie Marsh deserve a chance to be featured in the first team?

• Yes

• No

• I don’t think he doesn’t deserve a chance, but the numbers we have are fine at the moment.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Reed was a tidy player. But he was 16-18 when Clough blooded him in. Don't get the hate, as he wasn't that terrible. If we're going on crap academy players. Mark Ward, Jasper Johns, McGinty etc. Even Ironside. But Weir did him no favours playing him up front on his own at Carlisle at 18, against two seasoned lower league defenders.

Louis Reed has made more than 250 career appearances across League One, League Two and the various cups. He's had a successful career and is now back under Clough's tutelage at Mansfield.

Joe Ironside has a similarly successful career. 242 appearances at National League or above and a successful spell at National League North. He wasn't ready when Weir threw him in and he probably wasn't ever going to be good enough for us but he's still done OK.

Sean McGinty from Man U at 19 (turned 20 within a month of joining) but has also had a relatively successful career, he's approaching 300 appearances and is currently captaining Ayr United in the Scottish Championship.

Jasper Johns came from Everton (Weir connections), He was irredemably out of his depth. As far as I can tell, he hasn't played football since that ill-fated 15 minute substitute appearance against Colchester.

There aren't all match situations that require players to be complete.

Marsh is about 6'1, but skinny, so if he's thrown on in a game where he has to hold the ball up and fight with the centre halves he may not be ideal.

But he's got a wonderful touch, is very good in tight areas, can beat a man or two and his finishing is excellent. Even when he doesn't score the effort is well taken and usually on target. The fact that he's able to drift deeper, thus getting away from centre halves, is something that will help him. He has an eye for a pass and when he plays a bit deeper he's been getting assists. He's also not afraid to get stuck in, even vs Burnley he made some cracking slide tackles.

Marsh is about 6'1, but skinny, so if he's thrown on in a game where he has to hold the ball up and fight with the centre halves he may not be ideal.

But he's got a wonderful touch, is very good in tight areas, can beat a man or two and his finishing is excellent. Even when he doesn't score the effort is well taken and usually on target. The fact that he's able to drift deeper, thus getting away from centre halves, is something that will help him. He has an eye for a pass and when he plays a bit deeper he's been getting assists. He's also not afraid to get stuck in, even vs Burnley he made some cracking slide tackles.
I’d be interested to see him attempt the Berge role playing on the right of a three and tasked with getting the ball up the pitch and committing players.

I’d be interested to see him attempt the Berge role playing on the right of a three and tasked with getting the ball up the pitch and committing players.
Maybe he could do that too, but from what I've seen he has so much quality in the final third I'd want him to preserve his energy for situations closer to goal.

Agree 100% he needs time to gain a bit of weight and strength will come with that.
Hecki will not rush him through! he has already said that putting young players in the firing line
Towards the end of season serves no purpose ,they can be easily forgotten.
We have 3 young strikers all in the same age group using them wisely and not pushing them too quickly is the way to go.
Hecki and his coaches know this and will do right by them.

I realise this thread was started when promotion was not assured, but Championship and PL dynamics are very different when it comes to developing youngsters.
Marsh is a terrific prospect, but his way forward needs tailoring to his and the clubs needs. It also depends on the league we play in.

Sounds like he's broken his arm while playing for Doncaster

Fortunately not his ACL but he has suffered an injury first day back training, probably out for the rest of the season....just really bad luck unfortunately
oh right was told it was his acl mind we wont see him again this season

Gym gym gym gym gym. Hopefully Bulk him up while injured, get the first teamers to rough him up a bit in training and we could have a player on our hands, that goes for any young player really. He’s obviously got natural ability or he wouldn’t be at this level and getting talked about.
In contrast to what I said above which is very old school, while injured a method for the “new school” is also a lot of “homework” watching/studying certain players and shape play etc. I’m sure Wilder will have it all planned for him anyway.

Fortunately not his ACL but he has suffered an injury first day back training, probably out for the rest of the season....just really bad luck unfortunately
First day back here or first day back at Doncaster?

Back
Top Bottom