What’s our biggest issue (on field)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What’s our biggest weakness?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Defence

Votes: 152 55.7%
  • Midfield

Votes: 115 42.1%
  • Strikers

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
On paper, our midfiel;d is decent and should be competitive. The problem for me lies with the defence which leaves our midfield horribly exposed all the time. Every other team in this league has defenders who can carry the ball forward. Our lot get it and panic and don't have a clue what to do other than hoof it down the line (not helped by opponents relentless pressing which we also fail to do). I thought Anel was gonna be on of those players, because he was brilliant at it last season, but that part of his game has completely disappeared this season.

Can we not have an option of "all of the above" in the poll?

We are genuinely utter dog shite across the park, these are not bad players, we just cannot compete with what we have.

Add to that a tactically inept Manager, who has replaced another tactically inept Manager and we have hit the shitness jackpot!

Luton seem to be giving it a fair go with less resources than we have.

There’s a discussion to be had about the gulf in finances now apparent in the Prem. But I don’t know if we can even blame that.

Loaning players from the division below? Recruiting players with no Premier League experience? Selling our two best players days before the season begins and having to play kids for the opener?

The planning, scouting and recruitment has been so bad that I don’t know if they ever actually intended to stay up.
If Luton stay up this season, they will be found out, the next season. Bit like us the last time.

If Luton stay up this season, they will be found out, the next season. Bit like us the last time.
They’ve got a Barkley, a decent keeper and 9 athletes who would run through brick walls for their manager with plenty of leaders in the dressing room- if they can add some more quality after staying up think they’ll be okay.

Definitely not, a lot of them are on one year contracts and our ground is light years ahead of theirs

I meant in terms of league position and chances of staying up. Would you want to stay up knowing that survival next season is highly unlikely or would you rather go down and rebuild to try and get back up again?

I meant in terms of league position and chances of staying up. Would you want to stay up knowing that survival next season is highly unlikely or would you rather go down and rebuild to try and get back up again?
Difficult to answer this

Difficult to answer this

Which is why I asked it! Knowing that we will probably not bounce straight back up, (and as we are going down I would rather us take a couple of years at Championship level to get the club sold and rebuilt) makes it even harder to answer!

i think you probably have to say stay up on the off chance you avoid relegation again!

If you look at the simple stats vs Villa they had 14 shots, 10 on target and scored 5 - If you look at the preventable goals, all of them were realistically however with the the 1st 3 where we are tackled in our half/ball starts in their half puts one pass in, then a long range pass to split the defence and then all of a sudden we are on the back foot . The 4th yes he had time but was a great finish and rode his luck, be a lot of people that be in row ZZ. The same with the 5th that should have been hoofed into the Bramall Lane Upper stand but we allowed the chance to be created and was smartly taken.

We are seriously lacking in confidence but the midfield is where this is showing most

My point isn’t really that Luton are on their way to becoming a solid Premier League team, just that we’ve fucked it so badly this season, I don’t think we can blame it all on the financial gap.

Also, I’d point to teams like Bournemouth, Brentford and Palace who have managed to have extended runs in the Premier League through smart recruitment.

Also, I’d argue a big part of us getting found out last time was also bad recruitment. We spent big, but also pretty ineffectively.

My point isn’t really that Luton are on their way to becoming a solid Premier League team, just that we’ve fucked it so badly this season, I don’t think we can blame it all on the financial gap.

Also, I’d point to teams like Bournemouth, Brentford and Palace who have managed to have extended runs in the Premier League through smart recruitment.

Also, I’d argue a big part of us getting found out last time was also bad recruitment. We spent big, but also pretty ineffectively.
It’s that very difficult line at the moment of looking over your shoulder to the relegation zone/being safe. Some Fulham and Palace have both been saying on their forums they are concerned about where they are in the table. I imagine anyone of us would snap their hands off for their points total!

So obviously last night was a horror show. We’ve had 2 managers try and get a tune out of the side.

Our defence is a top championship when it wants to be. This means we shouldn’t get tanked 8s and 5s but we do.

So isit the midfield who are all over the show? Giving us no protection or goal threat.

Or isit the strikers not holding it up giving us out balls.

It’s probably a mixture of all 3 but wondering what people think our biggest issue is.
Yeah the four you've listed seems about right.

Our problems on the pitch are that our players simply aren’t good enough. None are good enough for this level. Ndaiye was but there you go.

In overall the team is missing something that we had in previous season(s).. Someone to lead, be brave and succesfull going forward and raising the spirit in other teammates.. We had same issue in Championship at times, but we were usually able to turn the game for us somehow.. Now we look like to loose all confident after we concede and the goals against us seem to come kinda easy.. Is that pure skill issue of the players or something else? They had motivational boost after manager changed, but it didn't last long.. Is it lack of competition for shirts?

Watched us last season and noticed our midfield was non functioning. What I mean is that we treat the ball like a hot potato with the plan being pass it Norwood who would sit deep and he would then ping it forward with a long ball pass, generally to N’Diaye. We also massively over relied on N’Diaye, which made us look better than we were.

The only time I could see some promise regards midfield was seeing the interplay between Doyle and McAtee towards the end of the season but they were both loan players.

So I’ve always had massive reservations about our midfield and although it’s improved without Norwood, it’s no where near PL standard.

In the last few matches our defence has become a concern but think we still have decent defenders, think the loss of form regards Anel has been a factor.

What we need is a good pre-season working on tactics and formations and a season in the Championship to rebuild confidence where you don’t get punished for mistakes as often.

Basically we need to take 2 steps backwards in order to take 3 steps forward.

See Huddersfield in 2017/18: expected to go straight back down but their tactics surprised teams and they ended up staying up relatively comfortably. That caught up with them in 2018/19 when they finished rock bottom on 16 points, losing 28 of 38 games. Or us in 2019/20 then 2020/21, although covid and lockdowns also played a significant part in that.

So obviously last night was a horror show. We’ve had 2 managers try and get a tune out of the side.

Our defence is a top championship when it wants to be. This means we shouldn’t get tanked 8s and 5s but we do.

So isit the midfield who are all over the show? Giving us no protection or goal threat.

Or isit the strikers not holding it up giving us out balls.

It’s probably a mixture of all 3 but wondering what people think our biggest issue is.
Our biggest issue?….Association Football.

All areas of the pitch but awful tactics and lack of psychological drive in every department of the club are the main reasons we are so uncompetitive.

Back
Top Bottom