United 2 Brighton 5 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great facts Revolution !

We don't score many hat tricks ourselves in recent years it seems and I believe since Sharp scored two in 18-19 v Wigan and Villa, we've had the following net hat tricks against us with none from us?

Have I missed any?

2018-19 Weiman (Bristol City) 2-3 H

2019-20 Martial (Man Utd) 0-3 A

2020-21 Bale (Spurs) 0-4 A
2020-21 Iheanacho (Leicester) 0-5 A

2022-23 Bradshaw (Millwall) 2-3 A
2022-23 Mahrez (Man City) 0-3 FA Semi

2023-24 Nketiah (Arsenal) 0-5 A
2023-24 Pedro (Brighton) 2-5 H

I think that's all of them.

We've had 5 in the last 10 seasons I think: Sharp's 2 that you mention, Leon Clarke's 4 vs Hull and 3 vs Fulham, and Harry Chapman's hattrick in the 6-0 FA Cup win v Leyton Orient in 2016-7, which is unusual as he never started a league game for us. He made 12 sub appearances in the league.

Don't think Norwood and fantastic belong in the same sentence, otherwise many other players we have had down the years are worthy of a balloon d"or

Anyone know the last time a visiting player scored a hattrick at the Lane in the FA Cup?

The answer is Andrew McGregor of Notts County in their 9-1 win in the first round on 17 January 1891. McGregor scored 4.

That game was also the last time we lost by an 8 goal margin at the Lane before this season.

The last time we lost by more than 3 goals or more in the cup at home was v Birmingham in 2012. The last time a team scored 5 against us at home in the cup was Arsenal’s 5-0 win in 1978.
I bet two of the assists weren’t from the United fullback that day!

Same droning week in week out. So the crowd calling out a a joke of a referee is ' desperation' is it? I guess we're all supposed to just sit in silence are we? Oh how sad McAtee chance didn't go in .Oh and what a ' splendid' side Brighton must be.
If you didn’t like the write up, you should listen to the pod.

Then really have something to moan about 🤣🤣🤣

Seems harsh in terms of scoring for me.
If you offered me 3x the corners of the opposition and outshooting them 15 to 10 I’d take that every week.

It just so happens we gave up some highly convertible chances and they ended up with an unrealistic conversion rate.

Same droning week in week out. So the crowd calling out a a joke of a referee is ' desperation' is it? I guess we're all supposed to just sit in silence are we? Oh how sad McAtee chance didn't go in .Oh and what a ' splendid' side Brighton must be.

Thankfully the majority of us appreciate the time and effort Deadbat puts into these reports.

If you don't like them you could easily put on ignore 🤷‍♂️ (but I have a suspicion you secretly do 😉)

Weirdly I kind of enjoyed the game. Whether this was down to the enthusiasm rubbing off of Mrs DBGoH's 12 year old attending her first game I'm not sure. At two nil down I had no real idea of how we might get back in to it but at four two down I'd seen enough attacking intent, chances created and a bit of fight to make me think a third goal with enough minutes left could have made the closing stages very interesting.
Yes, we were well off it defensively and Brighton were as good as anything I've seen at The Lane this season in possession and at two down a couple of months back I'd have expected it to be more of a hammering. I think the only way we can nullify this sort of passing game, with the squad we have, is probably take a plough to the pitch the night before.
Anyway, the little 'un enjoyed herself and wants to know when she can go again so not all bad.

A very good report from Deadbat I can't disagree with any of that. Brighton were a delight to watch and were everything we should aspire to be. Their passing and movement had our woeful midfield dizzy at times not really surprising though when you start Norwood and Osborn. as soon as I saw the teamsheet I knew we would have a torrid afternoon. If a Brighton forward came short to receive a pass one of the midfield instantly moved into the space he had vacated along with our defender meanwhile Norwood was stood still pointing as though directing traffic. Our midfield caused us problems at both ends of the pitch, what we started with on Saturday was woefully inadequate, simple as that really.

Back
Top Bottom