Tactics

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
It was noticeable that we didn't try to play the ball out from the back, on nearly every occasion Wes knocked it long.
So is this going to be the way we play, or will it only be against certain teams?
If it is, we desperately need a player up front to make a serious challenge, the Palace number 8 won nearly every high ball.

I expect us to sit deep and try n catch a team on the break all season unless a ball carrying midfielder is signed. The lack of a rumour of this type of player being signed is seriously worrying to me. As inadequate the current strikers are, they ain’t going to stand a chance if there is no one capable of giving them a decent chance of scoring a goal.

It was noticeable that we didn't try to play the ball out from the back, on nearly every occasion Wes knocked it long.
So is this going to be the way we play, or will it only be against certain teams?
If it is, we desperately need a player up front to make a serious challenge, the Palace number 8 won nearly every high ball.
I suspect that's because we didn't have a midfield that had the ability to make a defense splitting pass, which is where Osulla and Bennie are at their best. There's no point knocking it out to the defense, who've then got no confidence in the next player up the pitch being able to do something useful with it.

I expect us to sit deep and try n catch a team on the break all season unless a ball carrying midfielder is signed. The lack of a rumour of this type of player being signed is seriously worrying to me. As inadequate the current strikers are, they ain’t going to stand a chance if there is no one capable of giving them a decent chance of scoring a goal.
Isn't that Hamer?

McBurnie is the man.

We need midfielders who don't just want to play the Hollywood pass every time, then stand and admire it, leaving a gaping hole in the midfield, thats why McAtee and Doyle made a difference, players who filled that midfield hole and supported the front men, that midfield on Saturday should never start a game again imo, get the new lads in on friday and let them get up to speed,can't be much worse

We need midfielders who don't just want to play the Hollywood pass every time, then stand and admire it, leaving a gaping hole in the midfield, thats why McAtee and Doyle made a difference, players who filled that midfield hole and supported the front men, that midfield on Saturday should never start a game again imo, get the new lads in on friday and let them get up to speed,can't be much worse
Hamer can win a tackle, carry the ball, make a pass and shoot. He’s the complete midfielder. My worry is what do we do if he gets injured or suspended. If we had Doyle alongside him that could give a midfield of Doyle, Hamer, Souza - that ought to be pretty good.

Would need to sign another proper target man if so. Might be our best bet for survival, given the lack of quality and depth in the squad.

We need to learn to dive asap as well. Every single game I watched over the weekend players were stepping in front of the tackle and going down. It's a nailed on free kick, we should know because we did about 10 of them for Palace.

We did try it once or twice (usually Anel), problem was every time he tried to pick a pass into midfield, that Lerma was on to it in a flash and cut it out.

We need players who will keep the ball and drive at teams with it like Ndiaye and Duffy used to, and why there so were effective.

We play safety possession football too much and as soon as players receive it they stand still looking for an option to get rid of it too. Often this results in meaningless passes.

Our other problem is players standing still in space waiting to be passed to. As a result opponents can spot the pass from a mile off and either cut it out or apply pressure fast resulting in the player panicking and either passing backwards or hoofing it. Max Lowe and Ben Osborn are the worst for this. We rarely see the ball passed into space for players to run onto, which draws opponents out of position to close them down creating gaps in the defence or the defence to get stretched.

We need players who will keep the ball and drive at teams with it like Ndiaye and Duffy used to, and why there so were effective.

We play safety possession football too much and as soon as players receive it they stand still looking for an option to get rid of it too. Often this results in meaningless passes.

Our other problem is players standing still in space waiting to be passed to. As a result opponents can spot the pass from a mile off and either cut it out or apply pressure fast resulting in the player panicking and either passing backwards or hoofing it. Max Lowe and Ben Osborn are the worst for this. We rarely see the ball passed into space for players to run onto, which draws opponents out of position to close them down creating gaps in the defence or the defence to get stretched.
Our left hand side is so weak, both defensively and attacking wise. I was hoping that the Osborn and Lowe combination was one that we wouldn't see again. Maybe Trusty can fill one of those roles. Also think that Robinson's game suffers because he can't trust Lowe to be in the right place or to make a proper tackle.
Ayew is not a world class player but Lowe and Osborn made him look like one.
With only 38 games in a season it is difficult to say that we need to be patient but come mid September we will have a much better side.

We need to learn to dive asap as well. Every single game I watched over the weekend players were stepping in front of the tackle and going down. It's a nailed on free kick, we should know because we did about 10 of them for Palace.
Nearly annoying as the diving is players grabbing the ball as soon as they go down. It's pretty much forcing the ref to give you a free kick. If I could bring in one new rule it would be giving a yellow for deliberate handball if a player handles it before the whistle goes regardless of whether a foul is given. Rant over!

Nearly annoying as the diving is players grabbing the ball as soon as they go down. It's pretty much forcing the ref to give you a free kick. If I could bring in one new rule it would be giving a yellow for deliberate handball if a player handles it before the whistle goes regardless of whether a foul is given. Rant over!
In that instance the ref should give a free kick for handball, do it again then book him

Hamer can win a tackle, carry the ball, make a pass and shoot. He’s the complete midfielder. My worry is what do we do if he gets injured or suspended. If we had Doyle alongside him that could give a midfield of Doyle, Hamer, Souza - that ought to be pretty good.
Lets hope so,Doyle left out of city plans,so 🤞

Back
Top Bottom