Style of play

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The players across the middle area of the pitch - Thomas, Bogle, Norwood, Souza, Hamer, McAtee are all relatively comfortable on the ball as well. There's no reason we can't act least attempt to keep the ball a bit. The 2019/20 team managed it with arguably less technical players.

They had a tactical genius who taught them patterns of play we dont

It does frustrate me when people say our current players can’t play any other formation except 5 at the back. They’re professional footballers who earnt a living playing 4 at the back before they joined us, why would they be so incapable?
They can play it
Just not very well
The back 5 masks tge defficiencies in pace and strength and height so going to a back four probably isnt tye greatest idea

i dont think anybody is keeping us up this season with the pittance weve spent on the pitch you cant go cheap in this league so while i dont think hecky is a premier league manager he hasnt been given the slightest chance of keeping us up by our boardroom our only chance is if the club is sold with new investment for january and even then it will probably be too late luton are in the same boat their absolute certs to go back down and although i think burnley will give it a good go they will go down as well

Yes we sold 2 players. Berge was never really the pressing player (not having a dig but he wasn’t exactly all action).

Ndiaye I agree with. So when we replaced him why didn’t we sign someone who can press?
An effective press involves far more than 2. It really doesn’t matter who they are, the shape is critical and that involves fast, athletic front line and midfield players working as a hunting pack - I give you Oliver Norwood…..

An effective press involves far more than 2. It really doesn’t matter who they are, the shape is critical and that involves fast, athletic front line and midfield players working as a hunting pack - I give you Oliver Norwood…..
Oli Norwood of 5 years ago time passed him by

3 at the back worked because we had an edge..something that teams couldn’t deal with. There were two reasons it worked, one has retired and the other has all but.

“Remember Slav” “we don’t have the players to change” we’ve had 4 transfer windows since Slav and here we are hanging onto a comfort blanket from the past.. how’s about we don’t have the players to play 3 at the back?

Because all I’m seeing is a midfield that gets walked through and a defence that can’t handle the onslaught?

The rise from league one was amazing, wilder ball was great! I loved having people who would usually call us “Sheffield” ask me about “over lapping centre backs” but that’s gone need to move on and fast before it becomes the millstone that sinks us

There is no style of play

There is no motivational manager as hecky couldnt motivate me to eat a fish supper

There is no Charisma

There are no Tactics

You take away having the best squad in the league and we are left with a poor manager out of his depth
All that as it may be...
Its time to bring Wilder back it should have been done monday morning
Not sure how a man who's stunk out his last three jobs is the answer to our current problems.

Last 38 games at United W7 D4 L27
Boro P45 W19 D10 L16
Watford P11 W3 D3 L5

Busted.
Flush.

I know a Brentford fan and he saw a lot of John Egan playing for them.
He always tells me how surprised he is that Egan became a top defender..says he’s, at best, average Championship standard.

He confidently says Blades have a false view of Egan because his weaknesses are hidden playing with 2 other centre backs either side of him
and he says play Egan in a back 4 and watch his form drop.

Basham was the same, even in league 1 Bash was quite average playing in a back 4
but when we played a back 5, then Bash excelled playing as right sided centre half and encouraged to get forward into midfield
or even venturing upfield into attack (like his classic late winner away at Leeds).
A minor point, Bash was playing in midfield in that game at Leeds.

Agree that it is generally more demanding to play centre half in a back four, compared to the central role in a back three. For January we must surely get some competition for Egan/RCB.

For all the bashing Berge gets now that he's left he was a willing receiver and would run with the ball from halfway into the oppo half.
N'Diaye used to drop very deep at times to win the ball back or receive. N'Diaye is also perhaps the best forward I've seen at pressing for us. He used to win an awful amount of possession back.

We deffo miss them both but the other issue is we've stepped up in quality in divisions and so its that bit harder to adapt as a squad.

What has played on my mind is that if they had both stayed we wouldn't have signed Archer and Hamer. These are a direct result of those sales.

Yet something else that plays on my mind is that Hecky kept alluding to that with N'Diaye leaving we would target 2 signings to fill that gap.
Hamer was brought in as a result of Berge leaving. Archer was brought in with N'Diaye leaving.
Hamer I do think is the better player overall but he is a different player. Archer is a goalscorer we create opportunities he will put them away, but he isn't really a creator.
The impression I get is that we would have signed Souza on loan if one of these didn't move. But really we should have signed another forward in addition to Archer and I think that was the plan.
McAtee was always in the plans on loan too so it wasn't him....

All that as it may be...

Not sure how a man who's stunk out his last three jobs is the answer to our current problems.

Boro P45 W19 D10 L16
Watford P11 W3 D3 L5

Busted.
Flush.

So that’s 67 points in 45 games at Boro ? Call it 68 for 46 games that points tally would get you edge of the play offs or just sneak in the top 6

So it’s hardly a failure is it, he also beat Man U and spurs in the cup

And the Watford job wasn’t a job Watford brought him in for 10 games and said he wasn’t gonna stay

In regards to our relegation season we could easily have had 3/4 wins in our first 10 games but we didn’t and he lost his head

If you think a manager who has never failed in his managerial career and been continuously successful in multiple leagues then that’s your opinion

Boro he did OK and was harshly sacked , he certainly didn’t fail at the Lane he is arguably the best manager we have ever had

My point is all these people judging CW on his last job are incredibly short sited

If we got a motivated wilder who has made up with the prince then that is the best chance we have for staying up bar none

Hecky is a good coach and an ok manager but he won’t keep us up a motivated wilder has half a chance

The thing is, like Colin, he failed to make the grade in the PL. Yes, we stormed to 9th but next season, when all the analysts had done their job, we were sussed out and Wilder had absolutely no planB - cue toys out of the pram.
I’ve said it before and say it again, the PL tests everyone not just players. He banged on about league 1 players- he’s a league 1 manager who rode a wave of opportunity based on a novel set up. JOC got crocked, other teams learned that an aggressive press shut down Norwood and he had no answer.
It would be a travesty to have him back.

The thing is, like Colin, he failed to make the grade in the PL. Yes, we stormed to 9th but next season, when all the analysts had done their job, we were sussed out and Wilder had absolutely no planB - cue toys out of the pram.
I’ve said it before and say it again, the PL tests everyone not just players. He banged on about league 1 players- he’s a league 1 manager who rode a wave of opportunity based on a novel set up. JOC got crocked, other teams learned that an aggressive press shut down Norwood and he had no answer.
It would be a travesty to have him back.

League one manager 🤣

Last year we had the high press. Then we sold two of the players involved in that and haven't looked close to it whatsoever
Pressing PL teams is likely to get you a hammering most weeks, pressing the Blackpool’s and Preston’s of the world is slightly easier.

All that as it may be...

Boro P45 W19 D10 L16
Watford P11 W3 D3 L5

Busted.
Flush.
I didn’t realise his Boro record was that good!

Took over a team fighting relegation and receive those stats is much better than I thought!

All that as it may be...

Boro P45 W19 D10 L16
Watford P11 W3 D3 L5

Busted.
Flush.

He was even linked to Premier League jobs whilst he was at Boro. He beat Tottenham and Man Utd in the cup.

He also sold Tavernier who all their fans hated. One year with Wilder he was a £12m player.

With a little research he started season bad and they made a change. His record there is very good.

He was even linked to Premier League jobs whilst he was at Boro. He beat Tottenham and Man Utd in the cup.

He also sold Tavernier who all their fans hated. One year with Wilder he was a £12m player.

With a little research he started season bad and they made a change. His record there is very good.

They were down near the bottom but were near the top in terms of XG etc etc ….

Which means they weren’t playing that as same as with carrick this season TBF

Did we ever get to the bottom of this? What is our style?

Tactically so wrong yesterday for me.
We tried to press them high, and play out ourselves from the keeper. Didn’t work.
We’re in a deep hole, now extremely low on confidence - so every touch, decision is off. Have to setup to be solid and difficult to beat.

They got through us time and time again. Belief comes from having a foothold and momentum in the game. And we’ve not had any in the last two games.

Back
Top Bottom