Season End Graphs and Charts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ucandomagic

Reaction score
A decent end to the season at the Blues – and definitely better than getting milked by the Udders!

A few end of season comparison graphs and charts today, combined with overviews of the whole season.

Graph 1 compares our season to my benchmark results for each game to achieve an automatic promotion or a playoff season. You can see from Graph 1 that on 91 points we ended 1 point above my Autos Certain line. This line was for a set of results, that I produced at the start of the season, which would achieve 90 points and almost certain automatics. Apart from our October blip, it is amazing how close our season ran against this benchmark

Graph 1:
Paths To The Prem Matchday 46.jpg

Graph 2
is the multiple comparison graph with our best recent Championship seasons. Graph 2 shows that at the end of the season, on 91 points we were 2 points ahead of our 89 points in Wilder’s promotion season in 18/19 and 1 point better off than Warnock’s 90 points in 05/06

Graph 2:
Our Best Recent Champs - Matchday 46.jpg

I guess that you’ll probably remember that I got quite excited when I realised that we could get 94 points, which would be our best equivalent points score ever at this level, beating the previous best in1953. In the end, as the table below shows, our 91 points was our best season at this level, since 1961. So Hecky had our best season at this level for over 60 years, and only sits behind Reg Freeman and John Harris in our all-time second tier legacy list.

Hecky’s Legacy Table:
Post-War Table.jpg

Next, I’ve put below a coloured version of our full season results over time. The October blip is very evident – 3 points from 6 games – and in the last game in that period we were 2 down to Norwich after about a quarter of an hour. We came back to 2-2 and then Adam Davies saved a Pukki penalty in extra time, so we squeezed a point. That was a real turning point.

After that, if we hadn’t lost at home to Rotherham, we would have gone 15 games without losing – the real backbone to our season. Even In that Rotherham game we dominated everything, just couldn’t score and only lost to a Ben Wiles goal – but as he is Eddie Colquohoun’s grandson and it helped keep the Millers up we’ll take that one for Eddie.

For the rest of the season we had no draws and we only lost to Top 10 sides, apart from Udders!

Chronological Results Table:

Results.jpg

And finally the completed League Table. There are some interesting generalities very evident from the colour patterns on this table. We do best against teams who take us on and try to play against us. The sides in the Top 6 probably benefitted from that, and took significant points off us. We broke down most teams in the middle 12 and took good points off them. However, quite a few teams in the bottom third really frustrated us by sitting back and breaking. We got less from those games than we should have done, especially Rotherham and QPR.

Personally, I have taken that as a result of the lack of pace in Norwood, Fleck and Egan against attacks down the centre. I remember as well, last time in the Prem, a few games with balls over the top which caught us out and got Egan a couple of red cards. Doyle and McA address that issue quite well if they stay, but it was very evident also how much it helped against Preston having Anel’s pace in the centre at the back. Only my opinions, others may disagree.

League Table:
League Table.jpg

Overall, my 5th promotion to the top flight in 52 years – so a fantastic once in a decade season for me. I’m looking forward to setting up next season’s graphs – probably run a comparison with Wilder’s 2 Prem seasons – as they cover both the highs and lows! – and a benchmark set of results to get 40 points.

All comments on any of my thoughts above and suggestions for next year are very welcome.

As they say on trendy American YouTube channels – “This is Ucandomagic,; Peace, Out!”

UTB & Slava Ukraini

Thankyou.
But we need graphs of sommat during summer so we don't get withdrawal symptoms.....
Helppppppppp

Great stuff - as always - but you forgot to remind us that our League1 record of the highest points not to get automatics has just been completely demolished.

We might even lose the highest points and not get promoted at all record as well - could be North Barnsley v South Barnsley - I might even go in the Barnsley end in my Blades shirt if it is!

UTB & FTP

A decent end to the season at the Blues – and definitely better than getting milked by the Udders!

A few end of season comparison graphs and charts today, combined with overviews of the whole season.

Graph 1 compares our season to my benchmark results for each game to achieve an automatic promotion or a playoff season. You can see from Graph 1 that on 91 points we ended 1 point above my Autos Certain line. This line was for a set of results, that I produced at the start of the season, which would achieve 90 points and almost certain automatics. Apart from our October blip, it is amazing how close our season ran against this benchmark

Graph 1:
View attachment 159959

Graph 2
is the multiple comparison graph with our best recent Championship seasons. Graph 2 shows that at the end of the season, on 91 points we were 2 points ahead of our 89 points in Wilder’s promotion season in 18/19 and 1 point better off than Warnock’s 90 points in 05/06

Graph 2:
View attachment 159960

I guess that you’ll probably remember that I got quite excited when I realised that we could get 94 points, which would be our best equivalent points score ever at this level, beating the previous best in1953. In the end, as the table below shows, our 91 points was our best season at this level, since 1961. So Hecky had our best season at this level for over 60 years, and only sits behind Reg Freeman and John Harris in our all-time second tier legacy list.

Hecky’s Legacy Table:
View attachment 159962

Next, I’ve put below a coloured version of our full season results over time. The October blip is very evident – 3 points from 6 games – and in the last game in that period we were 2 down to Norwich after about a quarter of an hour. We came back to 2-2 and then Adam Davies saved a Pukki penalty in extra time, so we squeezed a point. That was a real turning point.

After that, if we hadn’t lost at home to Rotherham, we would have gone 15 games without losing – the real backbone to our season. Even In that Rotherham game we dominated everything, just couldn’t score and only lost to a Ben Wiles goal – but as he is Eddie Colquohoun’s grandson and it helped keep the Millers up we’ll take that one for Eddie.

For the rest of the season we had no draws and we only lost to Top 10 sides, apart from Udders!

View attachment 159963

And finally the completed League Table. There are some interesting generalities very evident from the colour patterns on this table. We do best against teams who take us on and try to play against us. The sides in the Top 6 probably benefitted from that, and took significant points off us. We broke down most teams in the middle 12 and took good points off them. However, quite a few teams in the bottom third really frustrated us by sitting back and breaking. We got less from those games than we should have done, especially Rotherham and QPR.

Personally, I have taken that as a result of the lack of pace in Norwood, Fleck and Egan against attacks down the centre. I remember as well, last time in the Prem, a few games with balls over the top which caught us out and got Egan a couple of red cards. Doyle and McA address that issue quite well if they stay, but it was very evident also how much it helped against Preston having Anel’s pace in the centre at the back. Only my opinions, others may disagree.

League Table:
View attachment 159964

Overall, my 5th promotion to the top flight in 52 years – so a fantastic once in a decade season for me. I’m looking forward to setting up next season’s graphs – probably run a comparison with Wilder’s 2 Prem seasons – as they cover both the highs and lows! – and a benchmark set of results to get 40 points.

All comments on any of my thoughts above and suggestions for next year are very welcome.

As they say on trendy American YouTube channels – “This is Ucandomagic,; Peace, Out!”

UTB & Slava Ukraini

Superb mate. Great effort all season and carrying on the legacy of the late great Grafikhaus.

Look forward to these next season.

Graph 1:
View attachment 159959

Graph 2

Graph 2:
View attachment 159960

Hecky’s Legacy Table:
View attachment 159962

View attachment 159963

League Table:
View attachment 159964

UTB & Slava Ukraini
Many thanks for producing these, although I suspect it is a labour of love !
My benchmark next season is 45, which my be a bit optimistic !

Many thanks for producing these, although I suspect it is a labour of love !
My benchmark next season is 45, which my be a bit optimistic !
I think 40 is the right benchmark to expect to survive. It will be less this year. We went down with 39 on the last day in 07.

Our best ever seasons were 54 in 2020, 52 in 92 and an equivalent to 57 in 1975 - so these are our targets to have a great season.

Lows of 23 points in 2021 and equivalent 25 points in 1976 are records we don’t want to challenge!

UTB

Love the predictions and comparisons mate. Will be a big challenge to keep up with the required “40 points to safety” graph next season.

UTB !

Cheers ucandomagic, enjoyable read as always. Hope you have a rest for a couple of months before you start work on the ‘points required to stay up’ graphs😉

Another thank you for these, informative and enjoyable as always.

As already suggested for next season: Wilder (& Hecky) seasons + average required to stay up seem a good shout.

Brilliant job. Always enjoy looking at these as they develop (Despite them sometimes making me wonder where our next point is coming from)🤭

If we're tracking well alongside the Wilder 9th finish season I'll jizz in my pants.
I’m hoping to match or beat the 6th place in 1975 with Ken Furphy! I want to be playing in Europe with … That’s why I asked ucdm to include it!

You’d need a whole set of new underwear then!

UTB

Back
Top Bottom