Ref’ing the results

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

wadblade

Reaction score
Ref’ing the results

We lost and we cant change that

But 2 x hand balls for their first goals the first handball was in the same spot as where they gave a pen against us v M City how were Newcastle goals not the result of hand balls, but Egans Spurs today and Wolves yesterday were?

Also after the Robinson booking today did you notice how Trippier was in the Refs face far worse than McB last week nothing done

We now probably have conceded more headed goals than the rest of the league combined, If McB plays today we prob don’t concede, and who knows

Anyway Keep the faith onwards and upwards

UTB

The rules need changing. The refs decision was correct for the first handball.

Robinson yellow was absolute bollocks.

No wrongs for the handballs.
The rules have changed.
If that had been two United goals and a referee had disallowed,
there'd be uproar.

No wrongs for the handballs.
The rules have changed.
If that had been two United goals and a referee had disallowed,
there'd be uproar.
Thing is though, they would have been disallowed, because we’re lowly Sheffield United and don’t deserve to be at the top table

The irony being the 1st handball was a situation that last year’s rule was meant to eliminate. The handball was accidental but it contributed in allowing him to keep the ball in and gain an unfair advantage. 2nd was borderline, hit him on the edge of what you might consider the arm. Again, probably should have been ruled a handball when the rules of the game are sane. The 3rd comes from a free kick that was never a foul.

How was the Gordon handball less advantages than Berge's this weekend?
That's a very good point and it always seems to come down to VAR interpretation and therefore biased to the big boys.
There's no doubt VAR has ruined football, fortunately the Championship teams have voted against it.

If the second hand ball goes in instead of Wes tipping it over for the corner VAR could have ruled it out. As it was VAR didn’t come into play as it didn’t involve a goal, penalty or potential red card

It’s all moot after the capitulation in the second half, but that refereeing display seemed very much like payback for Hecky having a go last week.
Was it me, or was he making decisions after the fact based on the play acting of the Newcastle players?

If the second hand ball goes in instead of Wes tipping it over for the corner VAR could have ruled it out. As it was VAR didn’t come into play as it didn’t involve a goal, penalty or potential red card
Which is another knock on of VAR. what was the ref looking at? He basically missed two handballs.

My worry is that feeling of the Premier League and/or the officials being "against us" has permeated the players too. McBurnie's tweet last week suggests it might have.

It's one thing for fans to feel like the officials are going to dick us over at any given opportunity, but for the players it's a dangerous sentiment. Great if it gives them a bit of 'fuck you' motivation to prove everyone wrong. But if the feeling is instead that the league is stacked against them, the moment there's one of those dodgy calls, heads start to drop. If there's a succession of dodgy calls or dodgy calls that lead to goals and they just give up entirely. That's what it looked like yesterday

How was the Gordon handball less advantages than Berge's this weekend?
It was not deliberate - neither was Berge's - but it the idiot who is on VAR interpreting that rule. Remember its the refs opinion whether they think the player has "deliberately" handled the ball. In this case, the ball bounced up his Gordan. Berge's was the same in my opinion but different ref, different VAR. CONSISTENCY.

It was not deliberate - neither was Berge's - but it the idiot who is on VAR interpreting that rule. Remember its the refs opinion whether they think the player has "deliberately" handled the ball. In this case, the ball bounced up his Gordan. Berge's was the same in my opinion but different ref, different VAR. CONSISTENCY.
I can’t be bothered to check, does the “deliberate” rule only apply to attacking players then? Because Egan’s handball against City was very clearly accidental.

I can’t be bothered to check, does the “deliberate” rule only apply to attacking players then? Because Egan’s handball against City was very clearly accidental.
Who knows anymore! IFAB change the rule like the offside rule every year and then expect all fans/players/pundits and refs to know it.

Just like to share how glorious it is seeing one of the Top Six get a VAR call against them.

The absolute meltdown for the Liverpool goal where VAR checked too quick and it was onside.

That's for Rob Styles, that is 😆

I’ve only just seen this thread and my word we have become a right club of moaning victims.Nobody talking about the possible pen Maddison could have had at spurs or the one Newcastle should have had Sunday.One positive from today is still looking shit but no decisions for the fans to mask over our performances.Quit the conspiracies we just aren’t good enough.

I’ve only just seen this thread and my word we have become a right club of moaning victims.Nobody talking about the possible pen Maddison could have had at spurs or the one Newcastle should have had Sunday.One positive from today is still looking shit but no decisions for the fans to mask over our performances.Quit the conspiracies we just aren’t good enough.
It just highlights the difference. Where was the PGMOL statement when Hawkeye stopped working? Where was the rueful head shaking and somber voices by Shearer and Co over any of the strange decisions against us, like they are just announcing the death of a much loved footballing icon?
As you rightly say, none of those things change the predicament we. Are in, just interesting to note the different treatment.

My worry is that feeling of the Premier League and/or the officials being "against us" has permeated the players too. McBurnie's tweet last week suggests it might have.

It's one thing for fans to feel like the officials are going to dick us over at any given opportunity, but for the players it's a dangerous sentiment. Great if it gives them a bit of 'fuck you' motivation to prove everyone wrong. But if the feeling is instead that the league is stacked against them, the moment there's one of those dodgy calls, heads start to drop. If there's a succession of dodgy calls or dodgy calls that lead to goals and they just give up entirely. That's what it looked like yesterday
Absolutely. I don’t subscribe to the victim mentality at all - more that the officials are simply incompetent twonks. Look at the Liverpool game yesterday- absolute shitshow of terrible decisions. Liverpool had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside which the VAR team had to apologise for, and ditto the first red - ludicrous decisions that cost them the game.
Howard Webb should be sacked and the whole circus of VAR reviewed.

It just highlights the difference. Where was the PGMOL statement when Hawkeye stopped working? Where was the rueful head shaking and somber voices by Shearer and Co over any of the strange decisions against us, like they are just announcing the death of a much loved footballing icon?
As you rightly say, none of those things change the predicament we. Are in, just interesting to note the different treatment.
PGMOL didn’t give huge club Liverpool a clear goal back yesterday.It’s just poor across the board I’m afraid.They are over complicating the rules.

The rules need changing. The refs decision was correct for the first handball.

Robinson yellow was absolute bollocks.
I’m fully aware that this is water well under the bridge by now, but I’m genuinely interested in why you feel that the Gordon handball decision was correct?

From my seat on the kop and the slow motion footage of the incident. Gordon probably keeps the ball in, but in doing so strikes the ball in an upward trajectory of about 45 degrees. Given that flight, the ball would have landed about a metre in field, giving Ahmedhodzic or another player, the chance to get a block in. But as we know, the ball struck Gordon’s hand deflecting it straight down to his foot, from where he’s able to cross it immediately. Which imo is handball all day long, but I’d like to hear why you believe it wasn’t?

Unless of course your original post was simply missing a ‘question mark’ 🤨

I’m fully aware that this is water well under the bridge by now, but I’m genuinely interested in why you feel that the Gordon handball decision was correct?

From my seat on the kop and the slow motion footage of the incident. Gordon probably keeps the ball in, but in doing so strikes the ball in an upward trajectory of about 45 degrees. Given that flight, the ball would have landed about a metre in field, giving Ahmedhodzic or another player, the chance to get a block in. But as we know, the ball struck Gordon’s hand deflecting it straight down to his foot, from where he’s able to cross it immediately. Which imo is handball all day long, but I’d like to hear why you believe it wasn’t?

Unless of course your original post was simply missing a ‘question mark’ 🤨

It’s not what I think, it’s in the rules. Because Gordon wasn’t the scorer then the handball was deemed accidental I believe. If Gordon went on to score the goal himself then it would’ve been ruled out for handball. Weird I know, hence why the rules need changing.

It’s not what I think, it’s in the rules. Because Gordon wasn’t the scorer then the handball was deemed accidental I believe. If Gordon went on to score the goal himself then it would’ve been ruled out for handball. Weird I know, hence why the rules need changing.

Cheers pal, yeah that’s ridiculous. But then so are theIFAB and the PGMOL 😉

Absolutely. I don’t subscribe to the victim mentality at all - more that the officials are simply incompetent twonks. Look at the Liverpool game yesterday- absolute shitshow of terrible decisions. Liverpool had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside which the VAR team had to apologise for, and ditto the first red - ludicrous decisions that cost them the game.
Howard Webb should be sacked and the whole circus of VAR reviewed.
If that had been Luton/Burnley/Us instead of Spurs getting the decisions against Liverpool yesterday do we think the whole VAR shambles would quickly get a proper review from the PL? I think that as it was top 6 Liverpool against top 6 Spurs and Klopp was quite rightly incandescent not much apart from an apology will be forthcoming.

All the officiating (?) has been a shambles and not just against United there have been several VAR controversies already but also there is the added time, the refs just add on a random figure there is no way they are timing each stoppage, some time different kinds of stoppages its just random. I think they add 30 seconds for each substitution yet a substituted player is supposed to leave the field at the nearest point, this is never dealt with by refs, any gobbing off at the refs/linesmen should be a yellow card (McBurnie) again not consistent. You just don`t know if a goal is scored, why players are booked or when the game if ending, shambles.

Back
Top Bottom