Quiz question (I dont know the answer!), how many different results have United now been involved in?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Our 10-0 win at Port Vale is the only time that scoreline has appeared in any Football League / Premier League game.

There have been 15 x 10-0s but only one 0-10.

We're also involved in two of the six scorelines to have happened twice: the 11-2 win over Cardiff and the 5-7 loss to Blackburn (which bizarrely came in the same year as the only other 5-7 ever).

Our 10-0 win at Port Vale is the only time that scoreline has appeared in any Football League / Premier League game.

There have been 15 x 10-0s but only one 0-10.

We're also involved in two of the six scorelines to have happened twice: the 11-2 win over Cardiff and the 5-7 loss to Blackburn (which bizarrely came in the same year as the only other 5-7 ever).
Arsenal beat Reading 7-5 in the league cup at the Majedski a few years ago, albeit after extra time. Reading also lost 7-4 to Portsmouth in 2007; I can't imagine there are too many of those scorelines.

Arsenal beat Reading 7-5 in the league cup at the Majedski a few years ago, albeit after extra time. Reading also lost 7-4 to Portsmouth in 2007; I can't imagine there are too many of those scorelines.

Reading lost 7-5 to Doncaster in the early 1980s too

Yeah the Reading-Arsenal game has a caveat as it was after extra time.

The source I'm using ignores cup games for that reason.

7-4 has happened 21 times (I haven't updated it for a year but I don't recall any last season)

The Doncaster-Reading scoreline is one of five 7-5s.

We did draw at Villa 0-1 thanks to the Hawkeye corruption goal

As I recall, Billy Bremner was manager at Donny at the time and was experimenting with the old 2-3-5 formation. They had quite a few high scoring games (think they had a 6-3 or 6-4) but they were still losing more than they were winning so I think he reverted back to a more modern conventional formation.

4-5 against Birmongham at home or am I away with the fairies......as usual 🧚‍♂️🧚‍♂️🧚‍♂️
We drew 4-4 against Birmingham in 1996 when the late Gary Ablett RIP was mercilessly booed by United fans having been slated by Mike McDonald in the press. Is that the one you mean?

I remember that as a crazy day for football scores. My dad took me to see Notts County v Ipswich, which Ipswich won 6-0 (the highest away score I have seen before Sunday's game.) This is an article about September 25th 1982 games.

You need Stan Ternent for high-scoring matches. Burnley managed to lose home games by 2-5, 2-6, 2-7 and 4-7 all in the same season. With a 5-6 away defeat for good measure. (No, we didn't get relegated. Your lot, rather boringly, beat us 1-0 at the Turf.)

On the day elvis died
Was 16 at the time - in a tent with two mates at Brid south shore camp site . Sunday morning and mate goes for a paper , comes back to the tent and says …

Utd lost 5-4 and Elvis had croaked it

Terrible shock - I fully expected us to beat Notts. County

Was 16 at the time - in a tent with two mates at Brid south shore camp site . Sunday morning and mate goes for a paper , comes back to the tent and says …

Were you All Shook Up?

You need Stan Ternent for high-scoring matches. Burnley managed to lose home games by 2-5, 2-6, 2-7 and 4-7 all in the same season. With a 5-6 away defeat for good measure. (No, we didn't get relegated. Your lot, rather boringly, beat us 1-0 at the Turf.)

I think I remember the 4-7, was that the day Gareth Taylor scored a hat trick but ended up losing? Possibly against Watford although that's a bit of a stretch.

I would assume we've been involved in every combination of results up to and including 4 goals to either side. It gets more difficult when you get to the more "unusual" scores, games where someone scores 5, 6, 7 or (sadly sometimes) even more.

So, taking for granted that over our history we have been involved in the following results (not differentiating between wins/defeats/home/away etc):

0-0
1-0
2-0
3-0
4-0
1-1
2-1
3-1
4-1
2-2
3-2
4-2
3-3
4-3
4-4

That's 15 different results involving 1 to 4 goals for either side. Then, because it's saturday morning and I'm bored, trawling all the way through 11v11 we've also been involved in the following (note, these could be wins or defeats, I'm only looking at the actual scoreline in a game):

5-0
5-1
5-2
5-3
5-4
5-5
6-0
6-1
6-2
6-3
6-4
7-0
7-1
7-2
7-3
7-4
7-5
8-0
8-1
8-3
9-1
10-0
10-3
11-2
13-0

So, over our illustrious history, we have been involved in exactly 40 different "results." Again, these could be wins, defeats or (in many cases) both over the years. Hope that answers the OP question 😂

ETA: The last "new" or unique result was the 5-5 at Swindon in 2015.

If Elvis hadn't rolled a 7 Magic Fly by Space would have been number one.

Fucking wanker carking it on bog at that very time in music history...

I would assume we've been involved in every combination of results up to and including 4 goals to either side. It gets more difficult when you get to the more "unusual" scores, games where someone scores 5, 6, 7 or (sadly sometimes) even more.

So, taking for granted that over our history we have been involved in the following results (not differentiating between wins/defeats/home/away etc):

0-0
1-0
2-0
3-0
4-0
1-1
2-1
3-1
4-1
2-2
3-2
4-2
3-3
4-3
4-4

That's 15 different results involving 1 to 4 goals for either side. Then, because it's saturday morning and I'm bored, trawling all the way through 11v11 we've also been involved in the following (note, these could be wins or defeats, I'm only looking at the actual scoreline in a game):

5-0
5-1
5-2
5-3
5-4
5-5
6-0
6-1
6-2
6-3
6-4
7-0
7-1
7-2
7-3
7-4
7-5
8-0
8-1
8-3
9-1
10-0
10-3
11-2
13-0

So, over our illustrious history, we have been involved in exactly 40 different "results." Again, these could be wins, defeats or (in many cases) both over the years. Hope that answers the OP question 😂

ETA: The last "new" or unique result was the 5-5 at Swindon in 2015.
No, we drew 5-5 at Leicester in the 1950s, as I think someone said upthread.

I think I remember the 4-7, was that the day Gareth Taylor scored a hat trick but ended up losing? Possibly against Watford although that's a bit of a stretch.
No, 100% accurate. It was 4-5 at half time, Taylor scored a first half hat trick and was still losing.

The 2-7 was against your "friends" from across the city. Possibly unique in that both goalkeepers got subbed, and all four goalkeepers made right howlers to let in a soft goal.

Back
Top Bottom