Points total for survival

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GymClassHero

Reaction score
Many have predicted this seasons points total for survival could be a record low.

I can see the average points total for staying up decreasing not only for this season, but continually over the coming years, what with the gulf in quality and finance becoming seemingly larger ever season.

20 years ago we had the 'big 4' of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea and you could pretty much guarantee it would be those 4 finishing in any given order in the top 4 places. Man City were the first team to be of any real and consistent threat to the status quo. Fast forward another 10 years and this is now 'the big 7' (Spurs and most recently Newcastle).

Then there are the best of the rest (Villa, Brighton etc - obviously not currently but Everton have generally been in this category until the last few seasons) who would be considered outsiders for a top 4 finish, but occasionally will over achieve and pinch a CL spot.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that newly promoted teams and the few others in the relegation battle are becoming cut increasingly further adrift of the rest, with the ever increasing gulf in quality - meaning points are becoming a lot harder to come by. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the average points total for survival drops as low as 30 within the next 5 seasons.

The sooner they all fuck off to their own super league the better and let's get football back to a competitive set up for all.

Not better for fans of those teams tho.

Having to travel to Europe every fortnite to watch your team play an away fixture is unfair and unreasonable.

It'll never happen, as the mass protests by those fans showed last time.

Having to travel to Europe every fortnite to watch your team play an away fixture is unfair and unreasonable.

It’s not good for their carbon footprint either 🙄

i think its more likely to become a super premier league consisting of between 12/16 teams playing each other 4 times as happens in scottish premier with possibly only 1 team relegated and promoted each season

Perhaps that's the cost of their own success. Its feasible that it wouldn't cost as much as travelling around the UK to away matches. As others have pointed out elsewhere in other topics, it's cheaper to get a flight to parts of Europe than to get a train to somewhere in the UK.

Reactions: Dkc
The gulf in class has widened in just 2 seasons away. Its clear to see, the rich clubs are getting better and better, and the clubs from 8th downwards are in their own mini league.
Maybe the Super League wasn't a bad idea afterall?

Covid has a lot to answer for and I feel it has helped to widen this gulf.
The rich teams were never in danger - Mancs, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool etc. they're too big to be threatened by lack of income. But other clubs had to be careful in how they operated their finances.
There was barely any spend in the EFL following covid as teams just couldn't afford the outlay.
The rich just ended up getting richer and pulled further away.

I wrote this in another thread last week.

Regarding tally to stay up, I think 25 should do it

We've had this before though (Thinking the points total might be a record low) to stay up.

I reckon it might be on the lower side but I'd be surprised if it's under 30 points. Maybe 34 points for 4th bottom?

Last time we went down you would have only needed 29 points for 4th bottom but Burnley finished on 39.

We've had this before though (Thinking the points total might be a record low) to stay up.

I reckon it might be on the lower side but I'd be surprised if it's under 30 points. Maybe 34 points for 4th bottom?

Last time we went down you would have only needed 29 points for 4th bottom but Burnley finished on 39.

100% this, as long as 4 teams stay shit we have a chance. Last time it was.

Burnley 39
Fulham 28
West Brom 26
Blades 23

Bottom 3 cut adrift and given up. This time as long as the gap between 17 and 18 stays around 3 points the bottom clubs will keep pushing.
And if all 4 stay shit all year, someone is staying up with 30 or less this season.

Many have predicted this seasons points total for survival could be a record low.

I can see the average points total for staying up decreasing not only for this season, but continually over the coming years, what with the gulf in quality and finance becoming seemingly larger ever season.

20 years ago we had the 'big 4' of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea and you could pretty much guarantee it would be those 4 finishing in any given order in the top 4 places. Man City were the first team to be of any real and consistent threat to the status quo. Fast forward another 10 years and this is now 'the big 7' (Spurs and most recently Newcastle).

Then there are the best of the rest (Villa, Brighton etc - obviously not currently but Everton have generally been in this category until the last few seasons) who would be considered outsiders for a top 4 finish, but occasionally will over achieve and pinch a CL spot.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that newly promoted teams and the few others in the relegation battle are becoming cut increasingly further adrift of the rest, with the ever increasing gulf in quality - meaning points are becoming a lot harder to come by. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the average points total for survival drops as low as 30 within the next 5 seasons.
Could argue that Chelsea aren't in that exclusive club any more - at least not this season. But then, you've got clubs like Brentford and Brighton who you'd expect to struggle a few years ago. Today, we'd be very happy to draw against either.

We'll still go down but i dont think we'll get embarrassing records. We will pick up points at home against the lesser sides like we have done. (Everton and Wolves)

Didn't we get 23 points in that awful season? (2nd season in PL under CW) We dont have a spine of Bryan, Lundstram and Burke this time round.

Derby fans not happy with our result on the weekend, desperate for their record to go.

Only way that’ll be beaten is if Man City finally get a points deduction of 104 point for breaking FFP rules.

Def agree with this analysis. Going off on a tangent slightly, would the Prem seem less of a "closed shop" if it expanded to 22 teams (still 3 relegated)? It would be more interesting if the relegation battle wasn't just 3 from 4 I think.

I live and work in derby in engineering and not ond derby fan mentions their record low points or sheffutd.
Derby fans have had it shit with chairmen and managers and there interest is the club moving forward .
I belivs myself b, Portsmouth, Bolton and derby will go up from league one this season . Got alot of good mates here in derby and a beautiful partner and sheffutd ain't on there agenda.

last 12 matches v brighton
09 Sep 1989Sheffield United v Brighton and Hove AlbionW5-4League Division Two
14 Mar 1990Brighton and Hove Albion v Sheffield UnitedD2-2League Division Two
19 Oct 2002Brighton and Hove Albion v Sheffield UnitedW2-4League Division 1
18 Mar 2003Sheffield United v Brighton and Hove AlbionW2-1League Division 1
02 Oct 2004Brighton and Hove Albion v Sheffield UnitedD1-1League Championship
15 Jan 2005Sheffield United v Brighton and Hove AlbionL1-2League Championship
13 Sep 2005Brighton and Hove Albion v Sheffield UnitedW0-1League Championship
21 Jan 2006Sheffield United v Brighton and Hove AlbionW3-1League Championship
21 Dec 2019Brighton and Hove Albion v Sheffield UnitedW0-1Premier League
22 Feb 2020Sheffield United v Brighton and Hove AlbionD1-1Premier League
20 Dec 2020Brighton and Hove Albion v Sheffield UnitedD1-1Premier League
24 Apr 2021Sheffield United v Brighton and Hove AlbionW1-0Premier League

No but 17th might.

But thats kinda redundant.. all you need is 1 more point than 18th (or same amount of points but a better goal difference)

I'm thinking 25-28 points may well be enough this season

One thing I'm worried about is Bournemouth changing their manager. Because they should be better than their current record. In fact, I think if they just kept Gary O'Neil they probably wouldn't be in the relegation zone right now.

Back
Top Bottom