Points for survival?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Eels

Reaction score
I reckon this season will require the lowest ever points to stay up. Burnley and Luton have already played each other so that means the bottom three have amassed just seven points against the rest of the division in twenty nine games. Four of them against Everton who're also shite but at the current rate will need only twenty points to survive.

I reckon this season will require the lowest ever points to stay up. Burnley and Luton have already played each other so that means the bottom three have amassed just seven points against the rest of the division in twenty nine games. Four of them against Everton who're also shite but at the current rate will need only twenty points to survive.
What are these points you talk about?

Who will we get the 20 points against?

I didn't say we'd get twenty.

It's irrelevant as we're not in a survival battle. It could be 15, 20 or 25 points to survive and it wouldn't matter when we can't even manage 2 and look incapable of getting 2 at the moment.

the 3 promoted sides will all get relegated imo bournemouth will pick up enough home points to survive and i think their the only other side in the division in any danger of getting sucked in to it

the 3 promoted sides will all get relegated imo bournemouth will pick up enough home points to survive and i think their the only other side in the division in any danger of getting sucked in to it
It's certainly looking that way, it was really unusual last season that all the promoted teams stayed up.

We just have to get more than Burnley luton and Bournemouth and if they deduct 12pts Everton the team finishing highest in this league will possibly only need 15pts to survive
UTB

WTF is a matter with people?
We're currently only 12 points off finishing in the top half.
We've yet to play Brentford but if we beat them home and away, that cuts the gap to just 6 points.
Come on Blades, we can do this.
OK, I'm ready to go back to my room now.

I certainly think it’s between those four, but I’m not convinced that Bournemouth have what it takes to stay up. We’re still in with a chance, if only we could get our act together.
If Everton get their 12 point deduction then they will get sucked back in but, sadly, I think that even then they will have just enough to scrape through. Doubt that they will get that penalty, personally, as it might set a nasty precedent for the golden boys that feed the cash cow.

After five and a half minutes yesterday for a VAR review to see if Jay Rodriguez's forehead was a couple of inches offside at approximately the time the ball was kicked, I think relegation would have some benefits.

They will delay Everton's penalty until they see if they will suffer by it. If they get 13 points clear, they'll impose the full penalty, but if the teams below start catching up again, they'll suspend some of the points on appeal.

After five and a half minutes yesterday for a VAR review to see if Jay Rodriguez's forehead was a couple of inches offside at approximately the time the ball was kicked, I think relegation would have some benefits.

They will delay Everton's penalty until they see if they will suffer by it. If they get 13 points clear, they'll impose the full penalty, but if the teams below start catching up again, they'll suspend some of the points on appeal.

Penalties aren’t just imposed, they are negotiated before hand to deter any legal challenges.
The recommendation is currently for a 12 punishment, so they’ll have asked Everton to respond.

The PL want to keep the independent regulator at bay so will want to be seen to be keeping their house in order.
I reckon there will be a 8 point punishment in Jan or Feb and they’ll ask Everton if they want it this season or the start of next season.

If Everton have a 10 lead over the relegation spot, then they might be brave enough to take the punishment this season.
If Everton are struggling being threatened by relegation then the punishment will be applied at the start of next season.

The objective is to be seen to punish Everton but give them plenty of help and opportunity to stay up.

Penalties aren’t just imposed, they are negotiated before hand to deter any legal challenges.
The recommendation is currently for a 12 punishment, so they’ll have asked Everton to respond.

The PL want to keep the independent regulator at bay so will want to be seen to be keeping their house in order.
I reckon there will be a 8 point punishment in Jan or Feb and they’ll ask Everton if they want it this season or the start of next season.

If Everton have a 10 lead over the relegation spot, then they might be brave enough to take the punishment this season.
If Everton are struggling being threatened by relegation then the punishment will be applied at the start of next season.

The objective is to be seen to punish Everton but give them plenty of help and opportunity to stay up.
They’ll be mostly worried about the effect on the poor Everton fans.
The thought of relegation will be too hurtful to justify the points reduction.

WHU poor Hammers the last six Prem games they have lost 5 and won 1,that win came against...you know who.

That stat came up on MOTD2 during the chat after WHU v Everton.

Oppo teams must love us,and the prospect of playing us.

I think Everton would prefer the points deduction this season than next season. Leicester and Leeds will get more points in the PL next season than us, Burnley, Luton and Bournemouth this season.

I hate what it's become now - even more about money than it ever was. That being the case I think that promotion shouldn't be automatic - the teams who finish in the bottom three of the Prem should be able to offer a cash settlement to any of the top three of the Championship for their place the next season. I'm sure Leicester and Leeds would have chucked us a good wad - we'd have balanced the books and probs had a decent season again in the Champ. And we'd be spared the current humiliation.

Well, on our current PPG, we'll be on 4 points. If we can double our PPG, we are safe, so long as Bournemouth,Luton and Burnley lose all their remaining fixtures.

25pts will be enough to survive. The three promoted teams will be returning to the Championship, sadly I don't see our slide halting there.

It's going to have to be a low points total for 17th...

As i can't see us winning away, although draws away in the PL are decent enough.

Also the problem is, only 39 points to play for at home and weve still got Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

Lowest ever accumulated points shared between the 3 relegated teams over a 38 game season is 76pts - Cardiff (34), Fulham (26) & Huddersfield (16)

Between the current bottom 3, we're currently sharing 65 points with 3 games left to play. So we need to share out 12pts to beat that record. That alone shows the gulf between the teams this season.

The average points total between the bottom 3 over the 38-game seasons = 92pts

Here's the breakdown:
  • 2023 = 90
  • 2022 = 80
  • 2021 = 77 (Wilder/Hecky)
  • 2020 = 89 (Wilder 9th)
  • 2019 = 76
  • 2018 = 97
  • 2017 = 86
  • 2016 = 88
  • 2015 = 98
  • 2014 = 95
  • 2013 = 89
  • 2012 = 92
  • 2011 = 111
  • 2010 = 79
  • 2009 = 98
  • 2008 = 82 (Derby season)
  • 2007 = 100 (Warnock season)
  • 2006 = 79
  • 2005 = 98
  • 2004 = 99
  • 2003 = 87
  • 2002 = 94
  • 2001 = 94
  • 2000 = 88 (pigs relegated)
  • 1999 = 101
  • 1998 = 108
  • 1997 = 113
  • 1996 = 100

I'm depressed now, even more than before, gonna stick mi head in fridge and get sunburned.
Plus also to see if light goes off when door shuts

Back
Top Bottom