Physique in the Premiership

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barnette

Ayamonte
Reaction score
You don't have to be a giant in the Prem, but you do have to be fitter/stronger/leaner than in other divisions. Notice the difference? Our players are not at the same level as the top clubs, and for this there is no excuse about money.

View attachment macalister.jpghamer.jpg

It isn't always an advantage having too much muscle tissue. I can remember two Norwegian internationals say they tried becoming stronger and did a lot of upper body work, but then found out it reduced agility and mobility.

Hamer is one player who can look full of energy and is quite strong for his height, but he tends to disappear and generally has less impact as the games go on.

Danny Drinkwater and Kante were two of the biggest driving forces behind Leicester winning the Premier League. Drinkwater is 5'10 and Kante is 5'7. They weren't the most athletic either, they were just able to read the game, put in tackles and give the ball to the nearest blue shirt over and over again. Solid but unspectacular but hugely influential and effective.

I'd say Kante was exceptionally athletic, covering every blade of grass. It was his engine, work ethic and tackling ability that allowed him to shine in that team

It isn't always an advantage having too much muscle tissue. I can remember two Norwegian internationals say they tried becoming stronger and did a lot of upper body work, but then found out it reduced agility and mobility.

Hamer is one player who can look full of energy and is quite strong for his height, but he tends to disappear and generally has less impact as the games go on.
He reminds me of Fleck in his prime a few years ago

It's why osula looked a beast against Gillingham. Physically way above that level but at this level it's not enough of a point of difference

I wouldn't want prime Messi down at the Lane. Too small

Steve Kindon "The Flying Wardrobe", very fast, big physique, scored goals but missed a lot of chances too. Blades fans chanted "Fat B******" when he came on as sub for Huddersfield, we were winning 2-0 but he scored twice to shut the Blades fans up

1707052293785.png

You don't have to be a giant in the Prem, but you do have to be fitter/stronger/leaner than in other divisions. Notice the difference? Our players are not at the same level as the top clubs, and for this there is no excuse about money.

View attachment 178604View attachment 178605
I'd have to disagree and say it's a lot to do with money.

The best specimens get signed by the rich clubs. Overall that's why the Premier League is almost ridiculously hard.

Back
Top Bottom