Peak Sombre-ness?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fjortoft's Aeroplane

Reaction score
I'm aware that there other threads discussing how sombre the mood is this pre-season.
But it got me thinking, who here feels they have encountered equally miserable pre-seasons in years gone by? Do any of them out-sombre this one?
The only positive for me is that a relegation here means a return to the Championship, rather than the pug leagues, but in terms of not feeling any hope or optimism whatsoever I think this is peak sombre-ness for me. Even after relegation to League One, I (wrongly) thought we'd come straight back up so had some enthusiasm.

I know I will be in a huge minority here, but I’m loving the silence, in a way. I always enjoy the summers where there are no football games I’m interested in. I enjoy the break from it.

I’m intentionally not really following any transfer or takeover stuff. I will see it in an email from the club when something is confirmed.

I’m quite enjoying popping on the forum to see the latest off-topic nonsense and not ride the football rollercoaster.

I’ve hardly even watched any of the YouTube vids I’ve posted in the thread I update.

Once the Tour de France finishes, I will pay attention again and see how shit the kit is and how fucked we are.

Comparing the euphoria we had going up to PL under CW and the excitement we had during the close season, then that first match at Bournemouth and Billy got the equaliser.

To this promotion and expectations, yes it does all seem a bit flat, let's not forget though, no utd fan expected us to go up.

We did, it is a credit to PH and every single squad player, plus the pigeons that we did.
With all the off field shit going they kept their focus.

To get back to Fjortoft's original mode or feeling, I understand. I do have a feeling we might do a lot better than people expect.

A very quiet Leroy Jethro Gibbs gut feeling.
UTB

Last edited:
I'm aware that there other threads discussing how sombre the mood is this pre-season.
But it got me thinking, who here feels they have encountered equally miserable pre-seasons in years gone by? Do any of them out-sombre this one?
The only positive for me is that a relegation here means a return to the Championship, rather than the pug leagues, but in terms of not feeling any hope or optimism whatsoever I think this is peak sombre-ness for me. Even after relegation to League One, I (wrongly) thought we'd come straight back up so had some enthusiasm.
Every fucking one for 60plus years and we didn't have social media for a lot of those years which makes it worse building you up then smacking you down even more
AWk2PE.gif

Jesus Christ……give me strength🙈

This is my opinion only, I'm not bothered about the Premier league, don't care if we stay up or go down, nothing changes either way, I still support united.

Pre season is quiet, but if you've been paying attention to the Prince, he's clearly said the club gets better value and better players later on in the window, so relax, shit is gonna happen at the end..

The 20m is as usual a statement to the selling clubs that we won't be overcharged (like in the old days of undisclosed fees received) we dont want another brewster size fee for a prospect..

I know I will be in a huge minority here, but I’m loving the silence, in a way. I always enjoy the summers where there are no football games I’m interested in. I enjoy the break from it.

I’m intentionally not really following any transfer or takeover stuff. I will see it in an email from the club when something is confirmed.

I’m quite enjoying popping on the forum to see the latest off-topic nonsense and not ride the football rollercoaster.

I’ve hardly even watched any of the YouTube vids I’ve posted in the thread I update.

Once the Tour de France finishes, I will pay attention again and see how shit the kit is and how fucked we are.
Spoiler alert!…We’re one of the favourites to go down.

You must be one of the newer guys....... :rolleyes:

Going up was a Relief more than anything… if we had stayed down this summer would have been horrendous. Selling everything not nailed down and no money to improve the side.

I also think memories of the relegation season are still close.

That said - A few signings with some good YouTube highlights. new kit and few preseason victories and the mood will definitely shift

I’m just switched off from it all.

Season ticket renewed a long while ago, We’ll release a new kit, we’ll sign some players and the season will start on time.

Rumour generation seem to be spurious links to players that may not even be on our radar so I’ve completely lost interest in that.

I’m just having some down time from football and I’ll be away when it starts off but will be back and fully into it again when it starts

I always like to escape from football for the summer anyway (except for when in England are in the Euros/World Cup), but this one definitely feels more sombre than usual.

I don't think it's just this coming season that's causing it. At the moment we look like there isn't even any hope for when we come down. We have barely any players under contract that long and we have a Chairman who wants our and has no interest in fixing that issue. It's absolutely crazy to say this, but it feels like there is a dark few years ahead even though we've just got promoted to the Premier League.

Before COVID it felt the exact opposite. It felt like we were on the up and had some stability for the first time in decades. I think that is a big part of why the current situation feels like such a kick in the balls.

All it takes is a goal when we're not expecting it, or a crunching tackle that shows the PL we're not going to be taken for mugs, then the whole feeling will switch. It's a bit short sited to expect us to fail, when we came up with wilder we didn't have the benefit of experience in the PL or the players we've bought with the PL prize money, now we have both and we have an opportunity to go into games as the underdog just as we did last time, and rattle some cages.

It's always been the same following dem blades, all it takes is a shit referee decision or some controversy and the crowd get behind the team, that lifts everything and before you know it we're on the front foot.

Personally I can't wait to get back to the lane and watch it play out, whatever happens. Worst case scenario we're back to watching us as a stronger team in the champ next season.

I’m just switched off from it all.

Season ticket renewed a long while ago, We’ll release a new kit, we’ll sign some players and the season will start on time.

Rumour generation seem to be spurious links to players that may not even be on our radar so I’ve completely lost interest in that.

I’m just having some down time from football and I’ll be away when it starts off but will be back and fully into it again when it starts

Same here, I’ve switched off from football.

I’ve busy so far over summer so hardly given it a second thought, including reading and posting on here much. Quite enjoying the break to be honest. The end of last season feels a lifetime ago too.

I’ve been more into the Ashes than following any football related news so that’s played a part. Also the thought of this upcoming season doesn’t exactly fill me with excitement.

Have a watch of some videos of our first season wins in the premier league. They show a full ground getting behind players like Stevens, Fleck, McBurnie, Mousset and Lundstram looking very decent premier league players. This time round, we will hopefully have Ndiaye, Berger, Ahmedhodžić, maybe Doyle and a couple of quality loans. to have a right go at teams at home. Some great times, lets look forward to some more.

This is the fourth promotion to the top flight that I recall (1990, 2006, 2019, this) and it has ha a weirdly somber feeling. Each of the other times, I was pretty resigned to us going straight back down but was looking forward to it all anyway (I might have been more confident in 1990, but I was 10). I am looking forward to this, but not in the same way. Somehow, I get the feeling that this won't see us going down swinging but plunging. Not a bar fight but a punishment beating.

I hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Looks like one over the line, the other one said his goodbyes already...

As you were..

I'm 30, had a season ticket for 16 years and IMO nothing tops the end of the Adkins season. It was the first time I wanted to stop going. I couldn't handle how let down I felt for all that time invested mostly freezing mi tits off on t'kop. Then we get in Micky Adams mk II and lose our first 3 games... been pretty good ever since and glad my old man convinced me to give it another year!

Back
Top Bottom