Nigel Spackman and all that Jazz

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sherwoodblade

Reaction score
For those of you of a certain age. Do you remember when Nigel Spackman was the manager and we were flying with Fjortoft and Deane scoring goals for fun.
The board then sold both strikers against the manager's wishes. Spackman left the club, we scraped in 6th and got knocked out in the play off semi finals, when we should have really won the league.

Spackman appeared on sky sports and had to keep correcting himself saying 'we' when referring to Sheffield United. That for me was the biggest joke and lack of ambition.

This current situation has potential to surpass that, but only potential at this stage.

I watched the prince being interviewed and some of what he said was commercial reality. If Illy wants to go to play for his boyhood club and we refuse to sell especially that there appeared to be some sort of now or never ultimatum from the French club, then I am not sure we would have had the same player in terms of mentality. It would appear that Berge was happy to stay, but the board don't want him walking next summer on a free when we payed 22m million for his services. However, selling him to a potential relegation rival, really?

Two alarm bells rang for me in that interview. The first was when he let slip about the player values when the question did not warrant that response and the second was when he mentioned that his religion dictates that he must do the right thing by the club. There is no need to mention religion in running a football club. You are either in this for the right reasons or wrong.

I believe in a higher power but I dislike it when religion is mentioned to justify action or lack of action. Your faith should be like the ever trusting program in the background that runs protecting/advising everything you do. There is no need to mention it because it will be evidenced by your morality and integrity. Once it starts being mentioned then my automatic stance is what are you masking?

At the moment the sad reality is that the squad is weaker than the one that was promoted. Let's see who comes in. The next few weeks will really show for me whether the Prince really has this club's premier league survival as priority or whether the real priority was getting the club back to the premier league not for thriving but for the big profitable sale.

I don't believe for a minute that the Prince's entire motivation for selling the club is just for him to make money out of it. Yes, as sole owner of the club he will inevitably pocket a healthy chunk of cash if/when the club is sold. But he's stated on multiple occassions that he doesn't have the cash flow himself to keep funding the club and it's had to be run on it's own merits, which it can't do. The only way around this is to sell the club to a wealthy benefactor who can pump their own money in. The Prince knows this and is wanting to sell, as unfortunately we cannot survive in modern English football as finances are out of control in the Premier League and having a knock on effect down the football ladder.

This shows how damaging football finances are when an established Championship club with regular crowds of over 28,000 hasn't a pot to piss in finance wide when trying to run itself on the money it generates

The solution? There isn't one. English football is broken beyond repair and the more billionaires take over clubs the worse it will get. The day Roman Abramovich took over Chelsea was one of the darkest days in English football and changed things for the worst for the foreseeable. We cannot compete unless we join them, and in doing so we would be condeming another team to the same situation we are in now.

In the next decade several clubs will go bust and into liquidation, as clubs without wealthy owners are sinking and dying, and the FA doesn't give a shit, or can't give a shit as the arrogant Premier League doesn't give a toss about anything but itself, and even then there's a huge imbalance due to TV revenue and bias towards certain teams.

I don't believe for a minute that the Prince's entire motivation for selling the club is just for him to make money out of it. Yes, as sole owner of the club he will inevitably pocket a healthy chunk of cash if/when the club is sold. But he's stated on multiple occassions that he doesn't have the cash flow himself to keep funding the club and it's had to be run on it's own merits, which it can't do. The only way around this is to sell the club to a wealthy benefactor who can pump their own money in. The Prince knows this and is wanting to sell, as unfortunately we cannot survive in modern English football as finances are out of control in the Premier League and having a knock on effect down the football ladder.

This shows how damaging football finances are when an established Championship club with regular crowds of over 28,000 hasn't a pot to piss in finance wide when trying to run itself on the money it generates

The solution? There isn't one. English football is broken beyond repair and the more billionaires take over clubs the worse it will get. The day Roman Abramovich took over Chelsea was one of the darkest days in English football and changed things for the worst for the foreseeable. We cannot compete unless we join them, and in doing so we would be condeming another team to the same situation we are in now.

In the next decade several clubs will go bust and into liquidation, as clubs without wealthy owners are sinking and dying, and the FA doesn't give a shit, or can't give a shit as the arrogant Premier League doesn't give a toss about anything but itself, and even then there's a huge imbalance due to TV revenue and bias towards certain teams.
Bang on pal 👍

But if you know you can't fund a football club on an ongoing basis...... Why buy one in the first place???? Looks like the Prince saw an opportunity but didn't think through the consequences if he couldn't find a buyer with deep pockets.....

Then like now those not in charge of direct football matters pulled the rug from under the managers feet, we never learn that selling good players and failing to replace them means you're set up to fail.

There will always be a level at which wealthy owners do not appear, so competitive football will remain, but not at the very top level, unless the regulators get a real grip.

Wait until the best players in the premiership ATM, when their contracts run down and Saudi cash hoovers them all up, but not just from EPL, but from all top teams in Europe.
No one will be able to compete, financially, not even Newcastle or Man City as we have what we call, laughably an FFP or similar.
Then the TV cash will dry up to a trickle, more teams will collapse.
Maybe a grand reset of English football will be the result, but because of greed we will lose a lot of clubs.
Cherish our return to the top table.

The weird one with Spackman is we looked incredible in that spell, but was it purely down to the calibre of players we had? I ask because he subsequently did very little as a manager elsewhere AFAIK.
I think the coach, Will Donachie (sp?) Was a big part of our success at that time and when he left things started going down the pan.
I think he left before Deane/fjortoft were sold, if this was because he saw what was coming or the board thought without Donachie we wouldn't get promoted and decided to cash in,.I guess we'll never know

But if you know you can't fund a football club on an ongoing basis...... Why buy one in the first place???? Looks like the Prince saw an opportunity but didn't think through the consequences if he couldn't find a buyer with deep pockets.....
The club is very different now to the one he bought. We were mid table in league one when he came in, we are now in the premier league. The amounts of money required to finance a club are vastly different at those two levels.

I think the coach, Will Donachie (sp?) Was a big part of our success at that time and when he left things started going down the pan.
I think he left before Deane/fjortoft were sold, if this was because he saw what was coming or the board thought without Donachie we wouldn't get promoted and decided to cash in,.I guess we'll never know
He left because Joe Royle had just become manager of Man City and it was a few weeks after Deane and Fjortoft was sold

Goes on about how broken the Championship is here regarding finances. Though when ours are mention I think a lot of our debt is on the big bonuses paid for getting promoted.

when he mentioned that his religion dictates that he must do the right thing by the club. There is no need to mention religion in running a football club. You are either in this for the right reasons or wrong.

It immediately sets my spidey senses on edge when people defend their actions by claiming piety.

The club is very different now to the one he bought. We were mid table in league one when he came in, we are now in the premier league. The amounts of money required to finance a club are vastly different at those two levels.
Yeah they are.... We have more money.... But the truth remains... He can't now or could ever realistically own a football club.....

Goes on about how broken the Championship is here regarding finances. Though when ours are mention I think a lot of our debt is on the big bonuses paid for getting promoted.

Best football channel on YouTube.

The solution must be to get rid of all owners and have clubs run by the fans.

I remember him saying the club sells players from underneath the manager and it's hard to do your job right...fuck all changed since then.

Excellent post

Yes I agree as a global statement of football and it's predicament in this country it is indeed an excellent post. However, I don't deal in gross effect. I deal in net effect. The prince comes from Saudi royalty. They are experts at investment and making money. They are also now well involved in sport. The Prince in his interview stated that he has 20+ years experience in football. I could never say that his sole motivation for selling was to make money. I am sure that there is healthy competition amongst the Saudi royalty as to who owns the most successful sporting teams/ ventures.

Do you really believe that with his background he was that ignorant as to the potential pitfalls of the modern game and the way it is financed?

The net effect is that he has bought a league one club for next to nothing and will be hopefully selling a premier league club. We have had one potential buyer who is now serving a fraud sentence in the US and the other who has failed the owners and directors test.

So therefore, notwithstanding, nothing has changed. Wilder cut and run when things got too much, leaving us in a mess of his own making. Let's hope that is not the case with the Prince.

As the great Bill Shankly said you are only as good as your last game.

The next few months will give us the answer.

I would add he originally came in as a joint owner rather than sole owner, so probably didn't expect to shoulder all the financial burden. The pandemic may also have eroded his personal wealth depending how it was invested.

Back
Top Bottom