McB, Brewster and Burke this weekend

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bla blade

VAR is killing football
Reaction score
In the same weekend that Ollie Mc and Rhian huffed and puffed but couldn't blow that house down, incredibly Burke popped up in pink again to score an amazing winning away goal. In what is being described as the greatest comeback ever he scored an injury time winner for Werder B away at Dortmund. WB were 2 nil down at 89 mins.

Did we let the wrong Ollie go??.... only joking but still, quite an amazing juxtaposition of fortunes for the 2 Ollies.

Considering we paid > £40m for the 3 of them, I would have genuinely expected that our recruitment and scouting network would have done a wee bit more homework and due diligence on what they collectively bring to the grass.

My hopes for Brewster are hanging by a thread.

The other two were simply bad, bizarre signings.

UTB

Considering we paid > £40m for the 3 of them, I would have genuinely expected that our recruitment and scouting network would have done a wee bit more homework and due diligence on what they collectively bring to the grass.

UTB
McB was not a bizarre signing. It was perfectly sensible at the time and produced some good goals and play in the Premiership.
He is now beginning to show quality after two years of problems

McB was not a bizarre signing. It was perfectly sensible at the time and produced some good goals and play in the Premiership.
He is now beginning to show quality after two years of problems
OK.

Bizarre to me given what I thought I knew.

Turns out ………👀.

UTB

Just to remind everyone there were two leading scorers in the Championship that year. the other was Neil Maupay. I think we made similar offers for both.
Remind all you like.

If you understand football at any sort of level, the blatantly obvious deficiencies were there for all to see.

That is, unless you subscribe to the “he tore us a new one, and the rest of the division alike” theory.

I didn’t and I don’t !!!!

UTB

The signing of Burke and the rightful stick that acquisition attracted masks what we squandered on Robinson. That poor piece of business has had nowhere near the same scrutiny or criticism the Burke deal got. Whenever we saw Robinson for PNE he always looked tricky, awkward but not overly dangerous where it mattered (and that was Championship)... and so it proved in a Blades shirt. When we then saw WBA fans saying they'd drive Burke here themselves you knew the £10m was well and truly pi$$ed up the wall.

Remind all you like.

If you understand football at any sort of level, the blatantly obvious deficiencies were there for all to see.

That is, unless you subscribe to the “he tore us a new one, and the rest of the division alike” theory.

I didn’t and I don’t !!!!

UTB
You have never, at any point, demonstrated that you have any more understanding of football than anyone else on here.

You have, however, shown yourself to be a crashing bore with an obsession about McBurnie that you bleat on about ad nauseum like a stuck record. Probably a Coldplay record as well, I’d imagine.

In the same weekend that Ollie Mc and Rhian huffed and puffed but couldn't blow that house down, incredibly Burke popped up in pink again to score an amazing winning away goal. In what is being described as the greatest comeback ever he scored an injury time winner for Werder B away at Dortmund. WB were 2 nil down at 89 mins.

Did we let the wrong Ollie go??.... only joking but still, quite an amazing juxtaposition of fortunes for the 2 Ollies.

That comeback is amazing.
Well done OB, didn't work out with us, but GLTTL.

The signing of Burke and the rightful stick that acquisition attracted masks what we squandered on Robinson. That poor piece of business has had nowhere near the same scrutiny or criticism the Burke deal got. Whenever we saw Robinson for PNE he always looked tricky, awkward but not overly dangerous where it mattered (and that was Championship)... and so it proved in a Blades shirt. When we then saw WBA fans saying they'd drive Burke here themselves you knew the £10m was well and truly pi$$ed up the wall.
Robinson scored in a preseason friendly at Chesterfield, surely that justified the fee?!

You have never, at any point, demonstrated that you have any more understanding of football than anyone else on here.

You have, however, shown yourself to be a crashing bore with an obsession about McBurnie that you bleat on about ad nauseum like a stuck record. Probably a Coldplay record as well, I’d imagine.

I would agree with him on McBurnies deficiencies being obvious. It does not take a footballing expert to see that he is awkward and lacks finesse.
Brewster we hope will improve but he has alot to work on. Again obvious to most that he likes to hit a shot first time and his movement and link up play were weak.

Berge for example is over reliant on his right side. Berge has talent and appears to be going in the right direction.

Some on here do not want to hear an assessment of a player that does not fit with their opinion. It's not unreasonable to suggest that McBurnie has been a big disappointment since he signed.

Fucking typical that my acca was ruined by Bremen and to top it all off - fucking can’t hit a cows arse with a banjo, dog chasing a crisp packet Oli Burke gets the winner.

Maybe the luck is finally going to turn for the 3 of them

Mcburnie has looked a different player the last 2 games

As for Brewster it will come the opposing keeper has pulled of two worldies vs Boro/burn and he hit the post against West Brom he could easily be on 3 or 4 goals already

When your luck is in it goes in off your Jeb end like ndiaye and when it isn’t it isn’t like Brewster and mcburnie

It will come for them IMO , mcburnie and Brewster are more than good enough at this level they just need to stay fit

Vast majority underestimate Burke's ability. If he wasn't apparently a half arsed tosspot I'd have kept him for sure

Brewster is yet another over hyped young English striker that simply failed to develop and wasn't as good as people thought he was. Terrible waste of money and when you think of his transfer fee of c£25m and waged of 50k a week he has to be up there, if not, our worst ever transfer.

Lad steals a living and trys to get away with it with his constant "blades family" social media posts.

At least OB was cheap!

Someone needs to remove the big pot of glue from this thread. Everyone involved should pop outside for some fresh air.

Vast majority underestimate Burke's ability. If he wasn't apparently a half arsed tosspot I'd have kept him for sure

Burke ripping it up playing in Bundesliga

Robinson unwanted by championship club.

Says it all really

Post of the season so far. Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

Great goal by Oli Burke. I seemed to be his only remaining fan by the time he left.

I thought most of the criticism was fairly unjust and I saw a guy who, given a run of games up front, would develop into a very good player. He was just a bit all over the place and still finding his feet (quite literally at times). I don't think the run of big money moves at such a young age helped his career.
He needed to find the position where he could best utilise his assets and then stick to it.

Unlike many others, I still wouldn't be shocked to see him go reasonably far in the game.

Some very basic things should have been understood:

Robinson - not a centre forward, a wide forward. Might be ok on left if the plan was to play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

McBurnie - despite being tall, not remotely a target man.

Burke - not a centre forward, a winger.

Mousset - hadn’t completed a full 90 minutes in 3 seasons at Bournemouth.

With these key basic facts in mind I’m not overly clear why we pursued them because (i) we never intended to play the formation that suited Robinson (ii) we clearly wanted a shithouse centre forward and had one in Madine and (iii) we had no intention to play wingers and finally (iv) in a team game where fitness is a given they can’t say the warning signs weren’t there.

Why did we sign any of these players if they were so short of the basic remit?

To add insult to injury, in order to get them game time, it was required to bench the guy who had just scored 24 goals to get us promoted.

Add in the Lazarus style expectations in signing both Morrison and Rodwell and I just think the recruitment or management got carried away with their abilities to change and mould players into something they weren’t.

As one contributor once said “is bonky madness!”

Some very basic things should have been understood:

Robinson - not a centre forward, a wide forward. Might be ok on left if the plan was to play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

McBurnie - despite being tall, not remotely a target man.

Burke - not a centre forward, a winger.

Mousset - hadn’t completed a full 90 minutes in 3 seasons at Bournemouth.

With these key basic facts in mind I’m not overly clear why we pursued them because (i) we never intended to play the formation that suited Robinson (ii) we clearly wanted a shithouse centre forward and had one in Madine and (iii) we had no intention to play wingers and finally (iv) in a team game where fitness is a given they can’t say the warning signs weren’t there.

Why did we sign any of these players if they were so short of the basic remit?

To add insult to injury, in order to get them game time, it was required to bench the guy who had just scored 24 goals to get us promoted.

Add in the Lazarus style expectations in signing both Morrison and Rodwell and I just think the recruitment or management got carried away with their abilities to change and mould players into something they weren’t.

As one contributor once said “is bonky madness!”
Add to that Luke Freeman, who just didn't fit our system. CW definitely thought he was King Midas and could turn anything to gold.

UTB
Brewster is actually looking like a worse signing than McBurnie!

Add to that Luke Freeman, who just didn't fit our system. CW definitely thought he was King Midas and could turn anything to gold.
But to some extent can you blame him - despite all those “poor” signings we were putting the best teams in the country (and I guess therefore the world) to the sword and finished 9th in the Premier League. Now that was “bonky madness” and I thought Wilder was King Midas too!!

Fast forward 12 months I was sobbing into my pint - but that’s football.

But to some extent can you blame him - despite all those “poor” signings we were putting the best teams in the country (and I guess therefore the world) to the sword and finished 9th in the Premier League. Now that was “bonky madness” and I thought Wilder was King Midas too!!

What ever happened to Roberto and his 'bonky madness'?

What ever happened to Roberto and his 'bonky madness'?
Looks like he’s not posted since Spring 2019… so stands to reason it was Jake Wright, no the other Jake Wright, yeah that’s right.

Come back Roberto!

I think the point as well was he did brilliant to assemble the team on a budget. Yet few of his post-promotion signings proved to be decent long term for the level they were bought for. The team in that first season was 10 from the promoted squad + 1 and the + 1 was always at the expense of the guy whose goals got us up.

Soooooo after 27 posts is the jury in or out that MacBurnie is a donkey and Brooster is a fraud but Buerk is the one that got away....phew I need a sit darn now.

Back
Top Bottom