Match Thread Fulham v. Sheffield United - 7th October 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FULH
FULH
FULH

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1696358328237.png vs. 1696358336825.png

Premier League Matchweek 8 - Saturday 7th October 2023 - 15:00 - Craven Cottage
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/fulham-vs-sheffield-united.664/

Officials:

Referee: Sam Barrott
Assistants: Simon Bennett, Dan Robathan
Fourth Official: Anthony Taylor
VAR: Paul Tierney
Assistant VAR: Scott Ledger

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 08.56.19.png

Last edited:

The team and set up was terrible, sorry to say but Hecky must go, we didn’t have a clue on the formation and tactics, seems like players didn’t know what to do, the formation was anyones guess?? To be honest I don’t see any new manager can come in and make a difference with these players who are not up to it.

respect hecky for all he has done but a change is needed and the only way is to change the manager and a rethink tactically... something that will give the players a confidence boost and get excited about playing in the premier league again they seem to have lost their way

Literally any manager who has any tactics whatsoever would be an improvement on this.

We’re not hard to beat, defensively we look like stevie wonder has set us up, we’re not quick enough, we’re not strong enough, we’re not good enough with the ball, we’re not good enough without it, we dont compete, we dont make it difficult for the opposition, we dont make tackles, we dont make use of set-pieces.

The only tactic I think we’re employing is try and win a throw in somewhere close enough to the box for Robinson to launch one in.

Obviously we’re limited with quality but that’s always been the case with us in the Premier League. This is by far the most insipid, turgid, uncompetitive team I have ever seen, and that includes the league one days. At least back then we had quality relative to the level we were at, at least we had a way of playing even if it wasnt always getting the best out of the squad.

This setting up and waiting to get beat nonsense that the manager is employing is some of the most embarrassing football this division has ever seen.
Any manager who understands that PL football is all about midfield these days would be an improvement as we seem to think two up front and three CBs is the only way to play. The fact that we are the only team doing that seems to have gone unnoticed by PH.

Another piss-poor depressing lack-lustre performance.
Was a waste of time getting promoted just to be whipping boys / cannon fodder.
Why didn’t we just fucking decline?

I think I said last week that 5 3 2 only worked when we had players like Didzy/MGW/Illy who could drop into midfield and link the play up. Of our current squad, I think only McAtee could do this. At present our midfield is being exposed every game.

I think I said last week that 5 3 2 only worked when we had players like Didzy/MGW/Illy who could drop into midfield and link the play up. Of our current squad, I think only McAtee could do this. At present our midfield is being exposed every game.
We never seem to have much space in midfield because the opposition know they just need to press hard and we’ll immediately cough up possession.
We don’t seem to have the skill, strength or nous to play out of tight situations.

i hate to speak ill of hecky, will be forever grateful for rescuing us from slav era & the promotion. but like ranieri in 2015, sport is ruthless & you feel his days are numbered sadly

it wouldnt be so bad if you can see progress. but this the 3rd week of this now & if anything we are getting worse. this is nothing like team that played everton. we are wide open defensively & created little offensively. the only surprise about fulham scoring was it took this long. you cannot be as consistently bad defensively as we have we have been for now 3 weeks. & expect to get anything from any level of football
Against Everton watching from BLUT we were wide open but so were they. We haven't looked composed at the back this season. We have a number of problems that are now difficult to address. Our system requires our wing backs to relied upon to go forward and create. They are not good enough. Midfield is a mess from an organisation point of view and that is down to 2 things knowing what your job is and communicating with others. Which is lacking.

Rescue from Slav mess? I think he had the right idea but the wrong players. Not being able to play 442, 4231 433 etc is a shocking situation for a club in any division. In the PL its suicide. We have one formation and a slight variation on it now and then. We had one way under Wilder too but the first year we were up with him we had energy and players moving in support.

In the PL the first rule is. Be hard to beat.

The back 5 system is killing us

Would like to see 4 4 2 if we have the players to protect our flanks more as once teams get behind our midfield we are toast. Having said that we did defend against crosses better.

Another piss-poor depressing lack-lustre performance.
Was a waste of time getting promoted just to be whipping boys / cannon fodder.
Why didn’t we just fucking decline?
No it wasnt a waste of time, we needed the £130m just to avoid Div 1 football. This season was always going be a, hope for a miracle, but in reality, back down to Champ, richer, wiser. Just never anticipated the calamitous level of shite.

Never forget Leeds away and having drink with me in common room. Gutted he won’t get to play at StJames . Get well soon pal 👍

I’m a Burnley fan ,you may think you have troubles but we’ve a goalkeeper who we’ve paid £15 mill for and is absolutely dross ,we have 8 wingers at the club,and plans A,B,and C are throw another winger on ,I don’t think you and us will get enough points between us to reach 30,The Prem has moved on since we were there last and that’s only 2 years ago .

I’m a Burnley fan ,you may think you have troubles but we’ve a goalkeeper who we’ve paid £15 mill for and is absolutely dross ,we have 8 wingers at the club,and plans A,B,and C are throw another winger on ,I don’t think you and us will get enough points between us to reach 30,The Prem has moved on since we were there last and that’s only 2 years ago .
To be honest your guys struggle has surprised me a bit. I got the impression that Kompany’s tactical nous, and you had a semi decent spend, would set you up

To be honest your guys struggle has surprised me a bit. I got the impression that Kompany’s tactical nous, and you had a semi decent spend, would set you up
I expect we'll be all right. We aren't good enough to get points at present against the teams that play good football, because they're better than us at it. Nobody in the bottom 7 has beaten any of the teams we have lost to. We'll do well enough, i think, against the teams we can call rivals. (Playing without our best three centre halves this afternoon was a bit of a handicap as well.)

Trafford isn't dross. That's so far beyond fair as to render carwin's opinions pretty worthless, IMO, even if he is a Burnley fan. There is a lot of talk about how Muric looked much better at passing last year than Trafford does this year, although many of us believe that the quality of oppostion makes a difference. There are also some that believe Muric would have saved every worldie, every one-on-one, every penalty, every in-off-the-post, every shot from the edge of the six yard box. They're idiots. IMNO, of course. You can argue that Muric is better than Trafford and it would be fair coment, but to say he is dross is nonsense.

Sorry to have a intra-club Burnley argument on here!

Do you want to swap us, I mean give us a couple of wingers?

You're spot on regards The Prem, it's merciless.

I expect we'll be all right. We aren't good enough to get points at present against the teams that play good football, because they're better than us at it. Nobody in the bottom 7 has beaten any of the teams we have lost to. We'll do well enough, i think, against the teams we can call rivals. (Playing without our best three centre halves this afternoon was a bit of a handicap as well.)

Trafford isn't dross. That's so far beyond fair as to render carwin's opinions pretty worthless, IMO, even if he is a Burnley fan. There is a lot of talk about how Muric looked much better at passing last year than Trafford does this year, although many of us believe that the quality of oppostion makes a difference. There are also some that believe Muric would have saved every worldie, every one-on-one, every penalty, every in-off-the-post, every shot from the edge of the six yard box. They're idiots. IMNO, of course. You can argue that Muric is better than Trafford and it would be fair coment, but to say he is dross is nonsense.

I’ve always been of the view that in many ways, younger keepers are a bit of a risk. They tend to mature later.

It’s a position based on confidence. You get a few slappings early doors and it can dent that. Similar thing happened with George Long for us, and Aaron Ramsdale at times was like a rabbit in the headlights.

Every mistake is micro-analysed, and Trafford’s fee will add to that. He’s clearly a decent keeper, but how he handles the psychology side will make or break him.

Nowhere near the same level I know, but I’m coaching a lad for our team at the moment. Clearly a decent keeper. But he got released from an academy, and it’s got in his head a bit and affected his confidence. I can work on his technique, the head stuff is more on him.

Anyway, all the best

Would like to see 4 4 2 if we have the players to protect our flanks more as once teams get behind our midfield we are toast. Having said that we did defend against crosses better.
Think we have to try something different, particularly since we're now down to bare bones with defenders. Our full backs spend most of the time in our own half, so it's often 5-3-2. Watching the replays on match of the day, we often have two players in defense covering the same space. Baldock - anel - trusty - jtl, as the back 4?

Was going through the park gate on the way to the tube home when I heard their third go in. What was the general response? Did people stream out?

Just as a late footnote I would like to say how shocked and sorry I was to see Chris Basham’s horrendous injury I hope he makes a speedy and successful recovery.

Sorry shouldn’t have said dross ,and I only blame him directly for one goal early on in the season when he dithered before coming out ,however his habit of passing sideways instead of slightly forward to our defenders indirectly cost us three goals yesterday ,and is putting his defenders under too much pressure.

While things didn't go to plan on the field I was still proud to be an away Blade. Great support throughout out the game despite the circumstances.
Apart from the football match, had a great time. Walked along the Thames path from Chiswick to Fulham, having a couple of beers on the way, then into Chiswick Saturday night. Best part of London I’ve visited👍

Apart from the football match, had a great time. Walked along the Thames path from Chiswick to Fulham, having a couple of beers on the way, then into Chiswick Saturday night. Best part of London I’ve visited👍

Yeah, it's a bit good round Fulham.

Back
Top Bottom