From woeful to hopeful? We can’t lose!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladeulike

Reaction score
As we slowly transition from woeful to hopeful under Wilder, I’m beginning to think we have a ‘no lose’ season ahead of us. We are clearly out of our depth in this division but all we wanted was to go down with some sense of pride and fight and to beat the wretched Derby Co. lowest point record. I’m now confident that both those objectives will be achieved. So, we go down with a motivated CW and his team in charge with a battle hardened squad of players who all have recent Prem experience. We will also have some money behind us from parachute payments. That sets us up really well for an assault on the Championship title and some cracking days out against teams, like ourselves, that don’t have the financial resources akin to the GDP of a moderate sized first world country.

If we stay up, then we will have achieved a record breaking footballing miracle and can continue to build on what will be, as a result of surviving, a well organised and confident squad.

Both scenarios are exciting and one of them will definitely happen! Beginning to believe it’s a great time to be a Blade!

Last edited:

Theres plenty to lose, it’s nowhere near over and Luton is a big game.

Make some good signings and we’ve got a chance, we’re currently 5 points behind a lousy forest team, not chasing a title 14 points behind a Man City or Liverpool.

Make enough improvements and we stay up

I completely disagree! We have to get out of this pervasive subservient mentality.

We are here on merit and we're not here just to make up numbers either. We're here to win the league.
Bang on. I swear some of this pitiful plucky cheap as chips ‘as long as they try their best I’m happy’ Sheff United mentality affects the teams we have over the long term.

I completely disagree! We have to get out of this pervasive subservient mentality.

We are here on merit and we're not here just to make up numbers either. We're here to win the league.
I don’t agree that it’s a ‘subservient mentality’. It’s about recalibrating what we mean by success and failure. We aren’t in for a relegation struggle because of our collective mentality, it’s just that we simply don’t have the calibre or depth of squad to compete at this level…yet. My point isn’t to accept our lot as underdogs, just to avoid a reductionist view that relegation would mean we have ‘failed’ when I think it’s just as legitimate to see it as part of a longer journey of rebuilding what was a clapped out team that needed some regeneration. Maybe it’s my wilderness years of watching the Blades on the God forsaken terraces of Hartlepool, Aldershot, Carlisle et al that make me think that now CW is back we are in pretty good shape whatever happens this season.

Bang on. I swear some of this pitiful plucky cheap as chips ‘as long as they try their best I’m happy’ Sheff United mentality affects the teams we have over the long term.
By all means, completely rephrase what I actually wrote and change the actual point I was making so it fits into a neat soundbite that you can then ridicule.

By all means, completely rephrase what I actually wrote and change the actual point I was making so it fits into a neat soundbite that you can then ridicule.
I was more build on the point about a pervasive ‘subservient’ mentality that high field blade mentioned. Connected to the OP but the context doesn’t completely fit

I was more build on the point about a pervasive ‘subservient’ mentality that high field blade mentioned. Connected to the OP but the context doesn’t completely fit
Are you saying that if we believe we are worthy of being in the premier league then that will mean the team performs better?

I am sure Wilder, his staff and all the players believe we can stay up.

I have that same belief.

Wilder has done wonders with our performances without the ball.
Whether we stay up depends on getting some wins which means improving with the ball.
We can't do that unless there is some £ in January and it gets spent much more wisely than last summer.
The squad is not evolving when it still contains the likes of Fleck , Osborn , Norwood , Basham , Coulibaly , McBurnie etc. and this is not to disrespect their past service to the club.
The nettle has to be grasped in one of the next two windows.
In January to have a chance of staying up
In the summer to have a chance of an auto spot , which is the only way we ever get promoted.
We have very few athletic , fast-thinking , creative , forward-moving players which means we struggle to make chances.
I've completely lost track of our finances but I would prefer to have a go at staying up , because the sort of players I want recruiting for that job are the same as the ones I want to win the Championship.
I know that relegation clauses may put off some potential recruits but I think we could sell the club as one which has a realistic intention to come straight back up , so quality ambitious younger players ought to be attracted.
If we leave everything till the summer , we are facing an enormous squad overhaul and we are notoriously poor at doing our business early.

Back
Top Bottom