Defending Free kicks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CornwallBlade

I got the ball ref!
Reaction score
I’m bemused by the defensive tactics when defending free kicks that are being delivered into our box. We, like almost every other team, go towards our goal with runners as soon as the taker begins his run up to the kick. Why not stand still or better, step up, leaving the opposition offside at the point of delivery? It was the staple tactic of Arsenal in the 90’s and during last nights game vs Newcastle the commentators remarked on how often Arsenal’s opponents are offside at free kicks.
It’s seems such basic stuff or am I missing something?

I’m bemused by the defensive tactics when defending free kicks that are being delivered into our box. We, like almost every other team, go towards our goal with runners as soon as the taker begins his run up to the kick. Why not stand still or better, step up, leaving the opposition offside at the point of delivery? It was the staple tactic of Arsenal in the 90’s and during last nights game vs Newcastle the commentators remarked on how often Arsenal’s opponents are offside at free kicks.
I think you ate! If its not broken don't change it an old saying but true!.
Our record for defending set pieces is very good,one of the best in the division.
Things can always be improved but don't do it for the sake of it ( don't throw the baby out with the bathwater).
Blimey I thing being a grandad is getting under my skin.🤔

I think you ate! If its not broken don't change it an old saying but true!.
Our record for defending set pieces is very good,one of the best in the division.
Things can always be improved but don't do it for the sake of it ( don't throw the baby out with the bathwater).
Blimey I thing being a grandad is getting under my skin.🤔
Sorry about the first phrase don't know where that came from. Not been drinking " honestly "🤔

What you miss is the opposition player who runs through from onside and slips it in the net !

Back
Top Bottom