Conditioning...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

IdLiketoRogerMoore

In Hecky we Trust!
Reaction score
A point I've raised numerous times since we were last in the PL but was my biggest fear since we won promotion.

Not only are we slower, less agile and less dynamic than every team we play - we can also add in weaker stamina into that equation too.

How the fook can every single player look gassed after 60 mins??? We were poor late in games in the Championship, but looks like that problem has only gotten worse.

Genuinely the Sports Science Department needs firing today and we go and find a programme which has us fitter, faster, stronger. We look all over the place.

The only decent conditioning our players get is in the bottle next to the shampoo in the showers at Shirecliffe.
I'm pretty sure that'll be the all-in-one stuff they use for shampoo, hand soap, and toilet cleaner in hotels

I'm pretty sure that'll be the all-in-one stuff they use for shampoo, hand soap, and toilet cleaner in hotels

So basically, you're telling me that the players don't even get that conditioning either. So non at all then. Fuck me. It's grim stuff

We seem to focus on conditioning heavily in training, yet don't seem to get any better

It's not only the sports science department that needs replacing, it appears to be the whole lot. The manager would be a good start. The buck stops with him for the injuries and if we had all our players available the fitness deficit would be far less noticeable. As it is we look less fit than every opponent then we exacerbate that by only bringing on small, weak championship standard players from the bench. Which is in part due to poor recruitment. Why we didn't sign Ogbene on a free for example I don't know. We consistently refuse to sign athletes

We seem to focus on conditioning heavily in training, yet don't seem to get any better

It's not only the sports science department that needs replacing, it appears to be the whole lot. The manager would be a good start. The buck stops with him for the injuries and if we had all our players available the fitness deficit would be far less noticeable. As it is we look less fit than every opponent then we exacerbate that by only bringing on small, weak championship standard players from the bench. Which is in part due to poor recruitment. Why we didn't sign Ogbene on a free for example I don't know. We consistently refuse to sign athletes
Manager clueless his staff clueless two years of this injury after injury
heading a ball in training out at least 4 weeks shooting practice out 16 weeks Fucked after an hour in a game
Pathetic
After a possible heavy loss at Arsenal if we then lose at home and nothing is done it’s going to get very toxic

If we could string three or four passes together to give us a breather it'd really help. We spend so much of the game either chasing the opponent or chasing loose passes, it's no surprise we look knackered.

Our inability to take pace out of a game means we just can't handle pressure. We had some really good spells going forward last night, but Man U stopped the momentum (through feigning injury or controlling the ball), we simply don't do that.

Perhaps its overtraining that's causing the issues. You don't get super fit by constantly training. Also if certain players can't reproduce red blood cells quick enough or not at all then their own fitness levels will stagnate once they reach their highest levels possible.
The science should be telling them so.

Perhaps its overtraining that's causing the issues. You don't get super fit by constantly training. Also if certain players can't reproduce red blood cells quick enough or not at all then their own fitness levels will stagnate once they reach their highest levels possible.
The science should be telling them so.
I just think there's sufficient evidence to say the current physical conditioning programme isn't fit for purpose.

Too slow, too static, too unfit, too many injuries.

I wonder what metrics they're measured on?

We can lament the lack of quality of our players, but under previous regimes we were at least fitter and more energetic than most other PL teams. Be interesting to compare the data of Lundstram, Baldock, Stevens, JOC from 2019 to this lot... The naked eye tells me Stevens and Baldock of that season would be miles ahead.

Dont we have the same medical/fitness team as we had in the first season in the Premier league when we were always at least as fit as the opposition, and often fitter?
The decline started after lockdown.
We are told that we are a team that fights for every ball in every match. Well, we used to be, but not any more. We’re just not fit enough to play a pressing game.
The best signing we could make, and right now, would be someone to knock the medical/fitness team into shape.

Dont we have the same medical/fitness team as we had in the first season in the Premier league when we were always at least as fit as the opposition, and often fitter?
We are told that we are a team that fights for every ball in every match. Well, we used to be, but not any more. We’re just not fit enough to play a pressing game.
The best signing we could make, and right now, would be someone to knock the medical/fitness team into shape.
Matt Prestige isn't here anymore and was a big influence behind the scenes

I honestly think the only way to train for the games this season is to make the first 11 train against much better players and chase them around all session.

Playing possession games in training will be doing nothing for our in game fitness as we rarely put 3 passes together.

Is there any evidence that poor training is the problem? This season the main issue for me is that the opposition players are better than ours and we are running ourselves into the ground chasing after the ball. We need to be subbing Archer after 70 minutes, he becomes a liability, although our options are limited.

No. Hecky brought in Tom Little and his team from Preston at the start of last season....

Is there any evidence that poor training is the problem? This season the main issue for me is that the opposition players are better than ours and we are running ourselves into the ground chasing after the ball. We need to be subbing Archer after 70 minutes, he becomes a liability, although our options are limited.
What else would it be?

Last night the first half was pretty even, so we weren't chasing the ball too much. Genuinely baffled as to why we were fooked after 60mins.

Surely the tactic has to be, if our players are inferior we'll try to bridge the gap by being fitter, faster, stronger?

What else would it be?

Last night the first half was pretty even, so we weren't chasing the ball too much. Genuinely baffled as to why we were fooked after 60mins.

Surely the tactic has to be, if our players are inferior we'll try to bridge the gap by being fitter, faster, stronger?
The ‘outrun, outfight, outplay’ motto seems to be having a year off. I can understand the ‘outplay’ not being possible this season, but the other 2 should be a given.

The ‘outrun, outfight, outplay’ motto seems to be having a year off. I can understand the ‘outplay’ not being possible this season, but the other 2 should be a given.
It was exactly the mantra that Tufty ran with the first season.... I would have thought/hoped we'd have analysed the CSFs of that season and focused hard on that.

Appears we've meandered into the buzz saw of the PL and the evidence is there for all the see.

Negligence of the highest order.

When you say conditioning I think pavlov and his dog or skinner.

Delighted to have Matt back.
I was a neighbour of his and his missus until till they moved a couple of years ago.
Speaks very well without giving too much away.
He's stayed local to the area too, so much better for his homelife.
Knillys knilly! ,be good to see bandy legs eating his haribos on the sideline again in our dugout.
I'm feeling very positive about the Andrews appointment too, he's always spoken very highly of us, and seems to know his stuff.Great age too.
Onwards and upwards, however this season pans out, I'm feeling much more positive about the club already, a bit like finding a fiver down the settee when you've lost a pound sort of feeling.
Keep the faith, I think we are in for a rollercoaster 5 months ahead.
Utb.

Back
Top Bottom