Blades away games you went to that got cancelled.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One that wasn’t called off but could have been.
Spurs away 74-75 ish…we all thought it was gonna be called off because of absolutely torrential rain. All the talk outside the ground was that it couldn’t possibly go ahead. I think a lot of our fans took that view and stayed in the pub.
It turned out to be a really memorable away day. 3-1 winners with Woody and TC running riot in the swimming pool of a pitch.
Anyone else remember that game? I think we were the lead game on MOTD because most other games had been called off
Jan 1975 , 15,000 there , and Keith Eddy scored the MOTD Goal of the Month !!

One not yet mentioned. Wrexham at The Racecourse 1988 or 89. Associate members cup on a Tuesday night. Pissed it down all the way there. Arrived at the car park, floodlights off, one steward telling the dozen or so Blades there the match was off. Went back for the replayed fixture. Lost. Booker sent off in normal time. Benstead sent off after the match for a brawl in the tunnel. IIRC. Who else was there?
I went to both

Spurs away 74-75 ish…we all thought it was gonna be called off because of absolutely torrential rain. All the talk outside the ground was that it couldn’t possibly go ahead. I think a lot of our fans took that view and stayed in the pub.
It turned out to be a really memorable away day. 3-1 winners with Woody and TC running riot in the swimming pool of a pitch.
Anyone else remember that game? I think we were the lead game on MOTD because most other games had been called off
Eddy's goal won the goal of the month. He was covered in mud from head to toe when he celebrated

First one albeit not United was an England match with school , Bulgaria ?, seem to remember been allowed to go the night after , two afternoons off school so not bad, Did the Orient cup match , police told us it was off in pub when we’d arrived , did Peterborough other year on train and back by 4 , but had a surreal day in Budapest , 3 of us ended up locked in a park cafe when the storm came with a bunch of Ferencvaros fans until well into the evening , a kid from a Hungarian bank interpreted all afternoon, and some of the characters we were introduced to was a different world , brilliant memories and for once not spoilt by United playing badly

I was at Coventry early 70's , winning two nil ( David Ford both I think ) then a torrential rain /sleet / snow downpour quite late in the game and the ref called a halt! . I think he just wanted to get warm :(. I only had a Budgie jacket on and was drenched ..we were gutted but got longer in the pub. Typical united we lost the game when it was replayed ....

I was at Coventry early 70's , winning two nil ( David Ford both I think ) then a torrential rain /sleet / snow downpour quite late in the game and the ref called a halt! . I think he just wanted to get warm :(. I only had a Budgie jacket on and was drenched ..we were gutted but got longer in the pub. Typical united we lost the game when it was replayed ....
Woodward and Blockley og the scorers. That day was my first match at Wembley watching Stoke beat Chelsea in 1972 League Cup final, no rain or snow that day. My dad and I thought we had won 2-0 at Coventry not realising the match was abandoned until we found out from a Saturday evening newspaper at a Service station on the M1. We did go to the re-arranged fixture and we lost 3-2

Woodward and Blockley og the scorers. That day was my first match at Wembley watching Stoke beat Chelsea in 1972 League Cup final, no rain or snow that day. My dad and I thought we had won 2-0 at Coventry not realising the match was abandoned until we found out from a Saturday evening newspaper at a Service station on the M1. We did go to the re-arranged fixture and we lost 3-2
Amazing really , it must have been freak weather because as I remember non of us had particularly heavy winter clothes on ? however I was only 22 lol !. I know it was quite late on in the match and I can remember the Blades players protesting to the ref . Still part of my great memories of those days . Thanks.

Amazing really , it must have been freak weather because as I remember non of us had particularly heavy winter clothes on ? however I was only 22 lol !. I know it was quite late on in the match and I can remember the Blades players protesting to the ref . Still part of my great memories of those days . Thanks.
Abandoned after 60 minutes

One not yet mentioned. Wrexham at The Racecourse 1988 or 89. Associate members cup on a Tuesday night. Pissed it down all the way there. Arrived at the car park, floodlights off, one steward telling the dozen or so Blades there the match was off. Went back for the replayed fixture. Lost. Booker sent off in normal time. Benstead sent off after the match for a brawl in the tunnel. IIRC. Who else was there?
I was there. went 3 times. 1st one called off, second one a 1-1 draw in the group games. Us Wrexham and Chester in a group of 3. We then bizarrely drew them away in the next round proper and lost 2-1

Few of us (self, Ian Elvin, Wally and Flanny, I seem to recall) went down to Plymouth on a Friday for this one. Spent Friday night on Union Street got up Saturday and went to a local pub near to where we were staying, had a few beers only to find out the game had been called off, so back on Union Street again on Saturday night too, great weekend!
All good lads to be boozing with.

Peterbrough away game either 2009 2010. It was the only game in the country to be cancelled due to weather, we found out when we arrived at service station. The rearranged match was an awful game on a freezing cold Tuesday night.
Remember that, we only thought to check if it was off when we saw the United coaches going the other way back up the A1! I remember going to the rearranged game and a small section of our fans hurling abuse at Blackwell every time he ventured out of the dugout. He stopped coming out at all in the second half, think we lost 1-0.

The other one that sticks out for me was Leyton Orient that others have already mentioned. Went on the coach with a stinking hangover after getting in from a night out about 3am and being picked up about 7 to get to the Lane for the coach. Slept most of the way there in between feeling unwell. Finally started to feel better and got a pint in a pub near the ground about 5 minutes before a copper came in and said it was off. Trudged back to the coaches and had to wait another 90 minutes as some decided to have a couple more beers before returning.

Gave the ticket to my Dad for the rearranged game, missed the 4-1 win! He still tells me to this day he saw that Kyle Walker would be a future England player that night.

That was my first visit to WHL, it certainly did piss down. My mates decided not to travel due to the rain so I went on my own on the train. I had no idea how to get to the ground so took the tube to Seven Sisters and then a bus to WHL.
I remember standing on The Shelf as it was the driest part of the ground. I retraced my journey after the game and got home in time to watch it again on MoTD.

Another one I actually thought would and dhould have been called off was the f.a. cup replay at turf Moor Burnley when we won 4-2.
Was it nearly 5,000 blades and most arrived at half time.
We all got stuck on the m62 due to accident . We had hardly any support in the ground till half time and blades were wanting the game off .
When we finally arrived a blade had died near the turnstiles of heart attack .
Great result on our way to the semis but what an evil trip that was .
I was also stuck in that lot,tried to reverse up a slip road on M62 to find another way...but cops stopped us at the top and made us go back down !
Listened to most of the match on the radio,ended up in a pub somewhere for last orders.
Think part of the problem also was the central reservation overhead lights had been damaged,and had to be taken down before traffic could move on 🤨

Yes remember it well we got to Bradford and coppers told us match off ,the rearranged game was near end of season went on football special with about 100 on it absolutely pissed it down and coppers let us go on the little side bit think crowd was about 4000
It was a Sunday, I also went on the football special, we played our last home game the day before against Lincoln!

Anyone remember a game at Notts County being called off due to a frozen pitch, around new year maybe late 70s? I remember hearing the news at chesterfield station and being stranded for a lift back home. May have been a cup match but cannot find it on google.

Back
Top Bottom