Your Favourite Blades XI

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladepicker

Paul Coutts Fan Club Founder Member
Reaction score
Totally pinching the rationale used in Ricky's thread about current favourite players, what is your all time favourite Blades line up of players you have watched in the red and white.

So one for each position - and importantly, these are not necessarily the best players you have seen pull on a Blades shirt, but your favourites. Players who in terms of ability, character and attitude made you excited to see them in the Red and White, but one for each position. There are a lot to go with - so I'll give you 5 subs too.

This is mine - going 4-4-2 with 5 subs.

GK Simon Tracey
RB Vass
CB Doug Hodgson
CB David Holdsworth
LB Roger Nillson
RW Peter Ndlovu
CM Michael Brown
CM Bob Booker
LM Dane Whitehouse
CF Deano
CF Tony Agana

Subs
Alan Kelly
Jan Aage Fjortoft
Glyn Hodges
Ian Bryson
Chris Morgan

Couttsy just misses out :)

GK: Kenny
LB: Geary
CB: Morgan
CB: Jags
RB: Walker
CM: Michael Brown
CM: McCall
CM: Monty (don't)
CAM: Ndlovu
ST: Kabba
ST: Beattie

Really can't think of many quality CM's or wingers in my time, that's why Monty's there. Kabba was just the man when I was first getting into it.

Something different on the basis of our new cult hero EEL, my team of favourites but not always our best player.

1. Mel Rees
2. Bradders
3. Kozzy
4. Booker
5. Morgan
6. EEL
7. Ndlovu
8. Brown (M)
9. Davison
10. Whitehurst
11. Hodges

Shipperley, Allison, Peschi, Beesley, Burridge close calls

Kenny

Geary
Morgan
Maguire
Harley

Ndlovou
Brown
Jagielka
Armstrong

Kabba
Beattie

Moore
Ehiougu
Kozluk
Gillespie
McDonald
Webber
Porter (❤️)

Hodgkinson,Badger,Helmsley,Flynn,Colquon,Hockey,Woodward,Salmons,Dearden,Currie,Reece. 11 utter sublime players. No subs.
End of thread.
I was a couple of years too late SBB. Envy isn't a strong enough word. We have had some great players since but when it comes to a great team.......

When people get to a certain age they think opinions don't count.

To be fair to seanbeenstattoo - pretty sure my old man, and the blokes I know of that vintage would very much agree with him on that XI and we probably would too if we had seen them.

Hodgkinson,Badger,Helmsley,Flynn,Colquon,Hockey,Woodward,Salmons,Dearden,Currie,Reece. 11 utter sublime players. No subs.
End of thread.

Beat me to it.

I'd always have Powell over Flynn even though Flynn was in pole position when we actually achieved promotion. I think I'm right in saying that Powell played more games than Flynn during the promotion season and there's no doubt he was the better player and would have been a fixture in our side (and in the Wales side) for many years had it not been for injury.

No disrespect to John Flynn - a good player and a good servant.

Beat me to it.

I'd always have Powell over Flynn even though Flynn was in pole position when we actually achieved promotion. I think I'm right in saying that Powell played more games than Flynn during the promotion season and there's no doubt he was the better player and would have been a fixture in our side (and in the Wales side) for many years had it not been for injury.

No disrespect to John Flynn - a good player and a good servant.

Good shout. Powell was way more talented than Flynn but as you say sadly curtailed through injury which is the only reason I went for Flynn.

GK-
Burridge- used to love his pre match gymnastics. He would walk on his hands and hang from the cross bar. He also had the knack of making a normal safe look really spectacular. He was a real character and seemed to always wear sheep skin coats, non stop talking hence the nickname "budgie".

Full backs-
Kenworthy- loved his air of arrogance.
Borbokis- what a player, not great at defending but going forward was brill.

Centre backs-
Morgan- not the most talented but no nonsense old fashioned proper defending. Great leader too.
EEL- we've been crying out for a commanding defender for years and then Wilder brings in a man mountain. His face is a symbol of our transition and I think he'll go onto to be a big hero.

Midfielders-
Hodges- in a workman like physically strong team in thenBassett era he was our real top quality player.
Booker- when he first joined he was pretty poor, - lower league journeyman but he gradually got better and better. But to be honest it was his humility and personality that made him a cult hero, always clapping the fans and showing that he cares for the club and giving his best.
Sabella- I used to love watching his pre match warm ups. He was flicking the ball from shoulder to shoulder and doing all those fancy tricks. Also during games he used to produce moments of magic I'd never seen before like control the ball on his chest, look in one direction but then back heel it on the half volley to our player totally fooling the opposition. No speed but a brilliant dribbler. He was like a performing seal, best ball skills I've seen at the Lane.

Wingers-
Morris- his little legs gave him a smaller gear so he was so quick off the mark over 5 yards and always went past the fullback with ease. He was always tuned in to set up Edwards and was the reason he scored so many.
Beagrie- we were a bit crap in those days but Beags was on end of the few highlights. He'd always do that pull back when he was about to cross it in and different fullbacks would fall for it everytime.

Strikers
Edwards- not the greatest all rounder footballer but he just seems to score in nearly every match. Used to make me laugh how in some games he was really poor and rarely touch the ball, then he'd tap one in at the end.
Agana- I always preferred him to Deano, faster, better dribbler and better awareness team play than Deane.

Subs
Whitehurst- He was crap for us but it was always fun watching him play because anything could happen.
Sun Ji Hi- He didn't play much for us but he was real quality (never realised he was that good) and he gets into the team based on that flying Kung fu kick on a player. Never seen ought like it ha ha.
McGrath- was like watching an illusionist when he played. He was so slow but no players could run past him because he knew how to block them off without conceding a foul. He seemed o know where crosses were going before they were crossed because he could smell danger. Amazing defender for us, well past his prime but showed his world class pedigree.

Last edited:

Kelly
Wilder Stancliffe Morgan Nilson
Morris Brown Jagielka Whitehouse
Deane Edwards

Back
Top Bottom