Your best day as a Blade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
There are a few candidates for me, but for overall happy-memories it has to be Darlington away May15th, 1982.
At that time, I was a young 19 years old and had started my Blades career in the early 70's with my earliest and fondest memories of the 74-75 season. I had been spoiled, nay ruined by the likes of Woody and TC.
The slide that followed only galvanised me into the type of fan that you have to be when you commit to a lifetime of following the Mighty Blades.
The 'fall from grace' into the dreaded bottom tier had reduced me to tears a mere 12 months before, but that special day at Feethams and the enjoyment of that season more than made up for it.
I was full of youthful vigour, felt I could take on the world and win, and was in the throes of a new relationship with a girl who was....well, you know what I mean.
From meeting in the boozer for a few looseners before the coach left, to returning on the same coach back to the new love of my life and all that promised, it was a day I'll never forget, even if some of those memories have been skewed slightly through the passage of time.
Memories like going through the turnstiles and having an unusual walk to get to the ground, seeing for the first (and only) time, an away ground completely full of Blades on all 4 sides. The incredible carnival-like atmosphere with a fan/player connection rarely witnessed before or since.
A top, top day and I still remember as I walked up those stairs hand in hand thinking "surely life just doesn't get any better than this" A simple, naive statement perhaps, but you know, in some ways it didn't.

There are a few candidates for me, but for overall happy-memories it has to be Darlington away May15th, 1982.
At that time, I was a young 19 years old and had started my Blades career in the early 70's with my earliest and fondest memories of the 74-75 season. I had been spoiled, nay ruined by the likes of Woody and TC.
The slide that followed only galvanised me into the type of fan that you have to be when you commit to a lifetime of following the Mighty Blades.
The 'fall from grace' into the dreaded bottom tier had reduced me to tears a mere 12 months before, but that special day at Feethams and the enjoyment of that season more than made up for it.
I was full of youthful vigour, felt I could take on the world and win, and was in the throes of a new relationship with a girl who was....well, you know what I mean.
From meeting in the boozer for a few looseners before the coach left, to returning on the same coach back to the new love of my life and all that promised, it was a day I'll never forget, even if some of those memories have been skewed slightly through the passage of time.
Memories like going through the turnstiles and having an unusual walk to get to the ground, seeing for the first (and only) time, an away ground completely full of Blades on all 4 sides. The incredible carnival-like atmosphere with a fan/player connection rarely witnessed before or since.
A top, top day and I still remember as I walked up those stairs hand in hand thinking "surely life just doesn't get any better than this" A simple, naive statement perhaps, but you know, in some ways it didn't.

Totally agree. My formative years as a Blade, like you, was the great team of the early 70s with those you mentioned as well as Badger, Colquhoun, Salmons, Dearden et al. Little did we realise in our naivety that that was as good as it was going to get. The following years saw a period of decline very similar to the last few seasons, culminating in the ultimate fall to the bottom division. That day against Walsall was the worst day by far as a Blade, so many in tears including the 50+ generation who never thought they'd see the Blades outside the top two divisions never mind the very bottom one. But that following season was one where (bar some early issues) for once United took a division by the neck and totally dominated. After all the heartache and bitter disappointment of the last few years, all those Blades decided they were really going to enjoy themselves on that final day. Many away games that season were like a home game with Blades often out-numbering the home fans, but Darlington was the first time I'd seen a whole ground filled with away fans, many in fancy dress. So many stories of the day, so much fun, but the over-riding memory is one of optimism amongst all those Blades that the club had finally turned a corner and were on their way back to where they should be. Leicester a few years later, runs it a close second!

Totally agree. My formative years as a Blade, like you, was the great team of the early 70s with those you mentioned as well as Badger, Colquhoun, Salmons, Dearden et al. Little did we realise in our naivety that that was as good as it was going to get. The following years saw a period of decline very similar to the last few seasons, culminating in the ultimate fall to the bottom division. That day against Walsall was the worst day by far as a Blade, so many in tears including the 50+ generation who never thought they'd see the Blades outside the top two divisions never mind the very bottom one. But that following season was one where (bar some early issues) for once United took a division by the neck and totally dominated. After all the heartache and bitter disappointment of the last few years, all those Blades decided they were really going to enjoy themselves on that final day. Many away games that season were like a home game with Blades often out-numbering the home fans, but Darlington was the first time I'd seen a whole ground filled with away fans, many in fancy dress. So many stories of the day, so much fun, but the over-riding memory is one of optimism amongst all those Blades that the club had finally turned a corner and were on their way back to where they should be. Leicester a few years later, runs it a close second!

Leicester was indeed a very close second SEB.
Second only because said girlfriend was long gone only to be replaced by a bit of a nag! (also now long gone thankfully!)

As a rather young, handsome lad I'd have to say the 4-3 2003 play-off semi against Forest.

I hate Forest with an intensity matched only by the Pigs, so to go 2-0 down before annihilating them in the second half with an ex grunter scoring an own goal to top it off was rather elating.

Just a shame it led to us getting pasted by Wolves and me cancelling my 18th birthday celebrations.

I too started with the mid seventies team. But in recent(ish) years.

Darlington
Leicester
Bobby Davison at the Sty (best day)
Ken Juniors first game (night match at Lane - won 1-0 Murphy header and he was hooked)
Forest semi play off

Followed by 13 years of dross with the odd peppercorn flavour of a cup win or two.

I too started with the mid seventies team. But in recent(ish) years.

Darlington
Leicester
Bobby Davison at the Sty (best day)
Ken Juniors first game (night match at Lane - won 1-0 Murphy header and he was hooked)
Forest semi play off

Followed by 13 years of dross with the odd peppercorn flavour of a cup win or two.
Mmmm, as for best match K, I wouldn't argue with the B D Massacre!
That match at Leicester though?
Both equally great but for different reasons :)

TheFlashingBlade would agree with you wholeheartedly about Darlo :)

My 21st birthday - beating Don Revie's Leeds 1-0, at Bramall Lane.

Brilliant night, especially with all my Uni mates down from Leeds with us.

Second is walking out of Old Trafford after been beaten 2-0 (including that George Best goal) and still being Top of the League.

May 5th 1990.

Going 1-0 down and thinking that maybe, just maybe we could fuck it up (I hadn't got much experience back then of United taking you to the brink before ripping your still beating heart from your chest and stamping on it on the ground in front of you) Then going 4-1 up in double quick time and really not knowing what to do with myself. The pitch invasions, ruffling Bassetts hair on the pitch after, pigs getting relegated, Green 'un headline, getting monumentally pissed after to celebrate after running in to get changed without even stopping to rip the piss out of my Wendy supporting Dad. That was the season of all seasons. I missed 3 games all season, I was 19 and full of spunk, the music scene was fantastic, I was earning good money and living at home with the parents. Happy days.
Don't think that type of season will ever be repeated. Mainly because I can't see me ever giving that much of a shit. Oh and I'm not a young man anymore :D

I think as a relative whipper snapper like Tyler, the Forest play-off night was pretty incredible. I was 16 then, and just about passed for beers at the pub. Probably my first taste of a big Blades victory while on the sauce. Huge result against old rivals to send us to Cardiff. Less said about the final, the better.

Old Papa Damski always says he loved the entire 4th division season, and was there when we clinched the title. He says it's the only time he's ever shed tears for SUFC.

Bit of an obscure one, but the last time we beat the grunters was at Bramall Lane in 2009. We were 3-0 up at half time and I've never seen the Kop so happy. Red faced middle aged gentlemen, laughing and joking without a care in the world, for seemingly the first time in decades. Gave me a glimpse of what it must have been like when we were actually good. Anyway, they pulled it back to 3-2, but it wasn't enough and me and my pals marched triumphantly up to West Street for several jars, past the baying South Barnsley fans behind a line of cops. We gave them a piece of our mind and went on and had a fucking good night out.

The Charlton 1/4 final was a brilliant day too. I was never in doubt about the result, I knew we'd win it. When the 2nd goal went in, the Kop was absolute bedlam. I had Mrs Damski sitting with me and I had to shield her from the madness as 3 massive beered up lads tumbled into our seats. All fun and games tho eh. We went to the pub to watch the semi draw after and it was packed with Blades. We all went mental when we got Hull.

That reminds me, Wembley against Hull at half time was beautiful. 2-1 up against a Premier League side and cruising. I went for a beer and there was no chance of getting to the bar. The concourse was packed with ecstatic, beered up Blades. Blokes on other blokes shoulders, spinning their shirts round their heads. Thousands doing the SHOREHAM BOYS, WE ARE HERE! The scruffy hoardes of northern barbarians had taken Wembley. For 45 minutes, at least.

For me its Nottingham forest but I can choose between either 2003 or 2014 Because both were amazing. Forest 2003 is possibly the best game ive ever watched live, the comeback, the noise (I still remember my neighbour telling me a few days after he could hear the roar from his house 1 1/2 mile away), peschsolido goal & it was 1st time in my time supporting utd as a 13yr old that id known success

But that last 1/2 hr in fa cup game v forest under Clough. Was fantastic also just remember wave after wave of attack. Dont know what it was about the fa cup games at bramall lane but Chris porter was inspired the 1/2hr v forest was unplayable. Scenes were great when that tap in when in to seal it at 3-1

For me its Nottingham forest but I can choose between either 2003 or 2014 Because both were amazing. Forest 2003 is possibly the best game ive ever watched live, the comeback, the noise (I still remember my neighbour telling me a few days after he could hear the roar from his house 1 1/2 mile away), peschsolido goal & it was 1st time in my time supporting utd as a 13yr old that id known success

But that last 1/2 hr in fa cup game v forest under Clough. Was fantastic also just remember wave after wave of attack. Dont know what it was about the fa cup games at bramall lane but Chris porter was inspired the 1/2hr v forest was unplayable. Scenes were great when that tap in when in to seal it at 3-1

I couldn't get out of a shift at work and had to leave at 1-1. As the taxi was pulling up at work I got a call from my dad. All he could say was "2-1, we've just had a penalty!" Over and over as the crowd were going mad in the background.

For me, the night of the yellow balloons at the sty.

Was sat in the pigs North Stand, near to their kop and the view when the balloons were let go as the teams came out will live with me forever.

A view not seen by many as most were in the away end.

A tremendous, spine chilling moment capped off with a brilliant team performance.

It was a rainy night and for the ones that remember I had a Blades brolly in the shape of a jockeys hat and I took great pleasure in putting it up IN the stand and shoving it up and down towards the pigs kop when we scored. There were quite a few Blades in and around me as well, which did help!

Very very satisfying feeling - what a night.

The double we got over them that season went a long way to stopping them actually winning the league title - a fact lost on a lot of Blades. They were odds on favourites at our place and I remember the great anger from the pig fans when Trevor "tosspot" Francis experimented at their place with 3 at the back, which as we know spectacularly backfired.........thanks Trev, and thanks to Dane W - 2 opportunist goals (in both games) from a very underrated player (except us Blades btw)

UTB

Leicester away 5 May 1990 Won 5-2
Cardiff home 27 April 1971 Won 5-1
Forest home 15 May 2003 Won 4-3
Pigs away 5 September 1964 Won 2-0

Sat on my dad's knee at St. James Park, 5th round of F.A. Cup away to the mighty Magpies, I think we must have been Div 2 at the time. 3-0 up after 20 minutes, Billy Russell hat trick in front of a packed house, crowd maybe 50000. Heaven. 1958'ish. Downhill ever since!!:D

May 5 1990 v Leicester away..Jesus..fast forward to today..respective standings in the game are unbelievable now.

Sat on my dad's knee at St. James Park, 5th round of F.A. Cup away to the mighty Magpies, I think we must have been Div 2 at the time. 3-0 up after 20 minutes, Billy Russell hat trick in front of a packed house, crowd maybe 50000. Heaven. 1958'ish. Downhill ever since!!:D
Think it must be this one:
04 Mar 1961 Newcastle United v Sheffield United W 1-3 FA Cup

I like to hear about great games before I started attending. Sounds like a cracker.

Nice one Woody.

2-5
On the pitch.
SC coach back to BDTBL.
Waiting for team to return.
"One Harry Bassett" chant that went on for ages.
Drive home, bypassed Pigs outside Alexandra...
Blasting horns with fellow Blades in car convoy, flashing lights, flags hanging out of car windows.
Back into Sportsman at night and it seemed all of Sheffield was Blades everywhere.
Best Ever Day?

whaddya think?

May 5 1990 v Leicester away..Jesus..fast forward to today..respective standings in the game are unbelievable now.

k9i1j9.jpg
Bm5cVPDIMAAJ7Le.jpg

CEOppbQW8AAqK0f.jpg

Darlington away last match of the season, hot day, loads in fancy dress, stood on the touch line around the pitch, stepping back so that throw ins could be taken, on to the pitch to celebrate goals then back to the touch line. 11,000 or so blades and about a dozen Darlington fans, best day ever.

Leicester away was up there, in with the home fans, Blades scored and we all jumped up and thought it would kick off but actually surrounded by loads of other Blades so just a great day out.

Other fond memories were the 6-0 Spurs match, Gary Hamson's free kick against Liverpool and Jags in the net against arsenal and a couple of games against our neighbours from the dark side (but I don't actually look forward to those games at all, I actually hate the build up and everything about it and only a positive result makes it memorable). Strangest game I went to was away at Burnley when Hull beat them 2-0 but needed to win 3-0 to go up and instead the Blades went up it, 3 sets of fans watching 2 teams and the only set that were happy were ones of the team that wasn't playing

But yes Darlington away by a long way, followed by Leicester away and then years of mediocrity with not much to remember at all:tumbleweed:

Back
Top Bottom