Woody cracker I had not seen before

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But it feels like you've seen it before, doesn't it?

Man with brilliant shot receives ball within thirty yards of goal and proceeds to kick said ball hard and fast directly into said goal.

Simple game, football.

But it feels like you've seen it before, doesn't it?

Man with brilliant shot receives ball within thirty yards of goal and proceeds to kick said ball hard and fast directly into said goal.

Simple game, football.
It is when you are born and blessed with his talent.

Will we ever see anyone with that talent and attacking mindset in a red and white shirt again ?

Like everything else SUFC related, you live in hope.

Thanks for the memories Woody, we still love you for it.

...........he also took great penalties - think I only saw Shilts save a woody penalty.

His general placement was to the goalies left and it nearly always seemed to hit the side netting.

stats anyone?

UTB

...........he also took great penalties - think I only saw Shilts save a woody penalty.

His general placement was to the goalies left and it nearly always seemed to hit the side netting.

stats anyone?

UTB
Shilts never saved a Woody penalty. He scored two penalties against him in Dec 1972 and Oct 1973 (this one is in YTV 100 great goals video). He has had 4 penalties saved, they were against Sunderland (probably Jim Montgomery was the keeper) in Feb 1966, Man City (Ken Mulhearn) in Jan 1968, Coventry (Bill Glazier) in Nov 1971 and West Ham (Bobby Ferguson) in March 1973

Shilts never saved a Woody penalty. He scored two penalties against him in Dec 1972 and Oct 1973 (this one is in YTV 100 great goals video). He has had 4 penalties saved, they were against Sunderland (probably Jim Montgomery was the keeper) in Feb 1966, Man City (Ken Mulhearn) in Jan 1968, Coventry (Bill Glazier) in Nov 1971 and West Ham (Bobby Ferguson) in March 1973

thanks for that

well it wouldn't have been the first 2. I seem to recall it was in the Kop goal - was either of the last 2 in that goal?

that will test your memory!

UTB

thanks for that

well it wouldn't have been the first 2. I seem to recall it was in the Kop goal - was either of the last 2 in that goal?

that will test your memory!

UTB
I wasnt at the Sunderland or Man City match so I do not know (Shalalalafenoughty or LSF may remember which end?). I was a Lane regular from January 1970.

In the Coventry game Woody opened the scoring direct from a corner at the Lane End. In the 2nd half at the Kop End, dont remember in which order, Bill Glazier held Woody's spot kick effort by diving to his (Glazier) left, and either minutes before or after the save, Woody fired in an angled ground shot to make it 2-0.

Early in the West Ham game, attacking the Lane End, we were awarded a penalty (highlights of the match were shown on YTV). Woody placed his effort that was blocked by Bobby Ferguson but the ref ordered a retake. In the retaken penalty, Woody decided to blast it to the middle but the ball ricocheted off Ferguson's legs and the ball shot up high in the air (I was sat in the BLUT and the ball reached higher than where I was sat) before it went back down to play and cleared away. Game ended in a 0-0 draw

do envy you lot old enough to remember watching woodward and currie era

And old enough to forget as well, given that I can't remember either of the early Woodward penalty misses against Sunderland and Man City even though I would have been at both games. I have no memory of the Sunderland game at all although I recall the game before (beat Fulham in the Cup) and the game after (against Leeds, Joe Shaw sensationally dropped, game on TV, watched it from near the pavilion). I remember the Man City game as the one where Paddy Buckley made his debut but can't recall the missed penalty for the life of me.

Mind you, I had completely forgotten until I started visiting this site that TC had missed a penalty in the home game against Luton in February 1971, a huge game in the promotion season and one of which I would have said every detail was etched on my memory. Once I read about it on here I could recall it plus the additional fact that John Hope, on his home debut, turned his back as the pen was taken and refused to watch.

And old enough to forget as well, given that I can't remember either of the early Woodward penalty misses against Sunderland and Man City even though I would have been at both games. I have no memory of the Sunderland game at all although I recall the game before (beat Fulham in the Cup) and the game after (against Leeds, Joe Shaw sensationally dropped, game on TV, watched it from near the pavilion). I remember the Man City game as the one where Paddy Buckley made his debut but can't recall the missed penalty for the life of me.

Mind you, I had completely forgotten until I started visiting this site that TC had missed a penalty in the home game against Luton in February 1971, a huge game in the promotion season and one of which I would have said every detail was etched on my memory. Once I read about it on here I could recall it plus the additional fact that John Hope, on his home debut, turned his back as the pen was taken and refused to watch.
Joe Shaw's last game for us was in the 4-0 defeat at West Ham. He was made sub for the L**ds match you mentioned.

The Man City game was Paddy Buckley's home debut (he played in the 1-1 draw at Arsenal in the previous week after Andy Beattie signed him). I remember reading in the Green Un archives that the crowd were cheering at Paddy's solo runs towards the goal. We got the penalty because a City player chopped Paddy down.

Yes, TC's penalty against Luton smacked against the bar and back into play (we were leading with two Woody goals then). He missed a penalty again in the following week at Charlton. Yes, Hope always looked away everytime we were taking a penalty

I remember the Mulhearn save. Was stood right behind the goal (Kop end) on the white railings. Hit it down the middle and it hit his legs as he tried to get out of the way. Piss poor penalty really, but even the great man could make a mistake it seems.

Back to the clip. That certainly looked a defence destined for relegation (especially the free kick) didn't it?

I certainly attended the Sunderland & Man C games in the 60's but finite detail escapes me sadly.
I had it in my head that Jim Montgomery wasn't the keeper in the Sunderland game and it was a reserve named Peter Wakeham. However, consulting the record books to try to jog my memory revealed the game I was thinking of was actually back in Dec 60_before I attended my first game 4 months later. I remember reading about the Sunderland reserve keeper denying United several goals with his brilliant saves and not understanding why a reserve keeper shouldn't have let a few in, so much for child logic eh :)
Also, I confused the Sunderland pen miss by Woody with a match that Charlie Bell played in (and scored) against Sunderland, this, however, was an away game and we lost 4-1 in Nov 66. I distinctly remember our match report in The People headed "New boy Bell Brilliant" and we'd lost 4-1, even as a teenager I thought it was a weird headline and didn't do the victors justice.

But back to Woody's pen misses in those 60's games, whilst I have no clear recollection, one observation about his pens was that as I remember, he always went for placement rather than power. Odd considering his phenomenal ability to generate power in his striking of the ball.
I asked him this question some years later, and he said at pens he was never comfy going for power for the fear of missing the goal altogether.
Sorry I couldn't help with Fulwoods question.

I remember the Mulhearn save. Was stood right behind the goal (Kop end) on the white railings. Hit it down the middle and it hit his legs as he tried to get out of the way. Piss poor penalty really, but even the great man could make a mistake it seems.

Woody didnt take a penalty again for more than 3 years after that Man City game. Paddy Buckley scored a penalty against Bolton in March 1969. Dont think we had a penalty again until Nov 1970 at Blackburn. We were drawing 1-1 and we were awarded a penalty after Dearden got tripped. I looked round to my dad and asked "who taking the penalty". He was trying to remember who took the last penalty and then we saw Dave Powell pick the ball up and placed it on the spot before sending Roger Jones (Blackburn's keeper) the wrong way to put us 2-1 up. Powell next took a penalty in the 3-0 win against Oxford later that month (we were winning 3-0 at the time) and he hit his effort over the bar at the Lane End. A week later with us 2-0 down at Luton, TC converted a penalty but his misses against Luton and Charlton in February 1971 meant we needed a new taker and it was Ted Hemsley who took the responsibility and levelled the scores in the last minute at QPR (a minute earlier Woody pulled a goal back) but in the following week with us winning 5-0 at home to Blackburn, he blazed his spot kick high to the top of the Kop! In the last match of that season at home to Watford we were awarded a penalty after Reece was tripped in the box. We all wondered whose responsibility it was this time and then up stepped Woody to take it for the first time since Jan 1968! And he blasted his effort high into the net!

I am trying to think back to a time when Trevor hockey played, I seem to remember him scoring a goal from the touch line, I don't know how close to the half way line it was, can anyone else remember this or am I having a senior moment.

I am trying to think back to a time when Trevor hockey played, I seem to remember him scoring a goal from the touch line, I don't know how close to the half way line it was, can anyone else remember this or am I having a senior moment.
Hockey scored 4 times for us, the first one was v Millwall in April 1971, Millwall keeper Bryan King was holding the ball ready to take a drop kick and Hockey dived straight at him, used his hands to knock the ball away from Kings's grasp and then slid the ball into the net, amazingly the ref allowed the goal to stand.

His second was in the 2-2 draw at WBA. I was at that game but dont remember his goal. I probably would have remembered it if it was like you described

His third was the equaliser at Birmingham in August 1972, from outside the box that flew over Paul Cooper. Prior to that, the Brum fans booed him everytime he touched the ball. Highlights of that game was shown on ITV in the next day and I would have liked to see his goal again (also Woody's winner) but there is only footage of Bob Latchford's opener on you tube

His last was the 2nd goal at home to Leicester in Dec 1972, Peter Shilton had parried a fierce shot and Hockey was quick to hit the loose ball into the net from the 6 yard box

Hockey scored 4 times for us, the first one was v Millwall in April 1971, Millwall keeper Bryan King was holding the ball ready to take a drop kick and Hockey dived straight at him, used his hands to knock the ball away from Kings's grasp and then slid the ball into the net, amazingly the ref allowed the goal to stand.

His second was in the 2-2 draw at WBA. I was at that game but dont remember his goal. I probably would have remembered it if it was like you described

His third was the equaliser at Birmingham in August 1972, from outside the box that flew over Paul Cooper. Prior to that, the Brum fans booed him everytime he touched the ball. Highlights of that game was shown on ITV in the next day and I would have liked to see his goal again (also Woody's winner) but there is only footage of Bob Latchford's opener on you tube

His last was the 2nd goal at home to Leicester in Dec 1972, Peter Shilton had parried a fierce shot and Hockey was quick to hit the loose ball into the net from the 6 yard box
Thanks for that, I remember it was on TV maybe I have the wrong player, just seemed so vivid ah well age does that.

Thanks for that, I remember it was on TV maybe I have the wrong player, just seemed so vivid ah well age does that.
Maybe you were thinking of Len Badger's goal in the 7-0 win against Ipswich? It was from 40 to 45 yards but keeper Laurie Sivell should have saved it

Back
Top Bottom