Winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
We have always dismissed it as being tinpot. But winning it hasn't done Barnsley any harm and it gave their players valuable experience of playing at Wembley. I say next year we make a serious effort to win the Football League Trophy (as I prefer to call it). Let's see us lifting a trophy at Wembley!

We have always dismissed it as being tinpot. But winning it hasn't done Barnsley any harm and it gave their players valuable experience of playing at Wembley. I say next year we make a serious effort to win the Football League Trophy (as I prefer to call it). Let's see us lifting a trophy at Wembley!

First team to win the FLT and then win the play-off for about 20 years I think. It is no pre-curser to promotion via Wembley, completely the opposite by the look of it.

First team to win the FLT and then win the play-off for about 20 years I think. It is no pre-curser to promotion via Wembley, completely the opposite by the look of it.
If you look at the Hull v Wednesday game, Hull also had players who had previously played at Wembley and other big venues. Wednesday players froze. I've never agreed that cup competitions are an unwanted distraction, they can also add to building up a momentum.

It's an embarrassment for a club like ourselves to have that trophy in our cabinet.

Teams like Wigan, Portsmouth etc have won the FA cup in recent years, no reason we shouldn't be capable of doing the same.

I'd say go for it but it's an absolute inconvenience and the rules don't even allow you to pick the team you want, which is a joke.

It's an embarrassment for a club like ourselves to have that trophy in our cabinet.

Teams like Wigan, Portsmouth etc have won the FA cup in recent years, no reason we shouldn't be capable of doing the same.
It is never embarrassing to win a cup, we are in the league we deserve to be in and we need to get out of it. But winning a cup could help that. And when in the future I see the Blades lifting the Champions Leagone trophy, I will proudly say that we are the first club to have won the Champions League and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy!

Yeah, an embarrassment

Like the last time we won the FA Cup in

1925!

So much success of winning stuff since, eh?

Agree it's a tin pot cup but Brizzle won it on their way up as champs - they were winners - not resters.

Too much pseudo science applied by idiots in the game. If you're winning, you want to play.

Yeah, an embarrassment

Like the last time we won the FA Cup in

1925!

So much success of winning stuff since, eh?

Agree it's a tin pot cup but Brizzle won it on their way up as champs - they were winners - not resters.

Too much pseudo science applied by idiots in the game. If you're winning, you want to play.
Good point. We need to get over the 'it's an embarrassment being in this league' attitude. We deserve to be in League One, and we need to treat our opponents without respect. When we play Fleetwood the fact we won the FA Cup in 1925 counts for nothing!

If you look at the Hull v Wednesday game, Hull also had players who had previously played at Wembley and other big venues. Wednesday players froze. I've never agreed that cup competitions are an unwanted distraction, they can also add to building up a momentum.

And I'm just saying that the linking of winning the FLT and then winning the play-off has no historical basis to it. Barnsley were the first team to do that double for more than 20 years. Winning the FLT reduces your chances of promotion looking at the records.

And I'm just saying that the linking of winning the FLT and then winning the play-off has no historical basis to it. Barnsley were the first team to do that double for more than 20 years. Winning the FLT reduces your chances of promotion looking at the records.
See the "boss " went into one of his favourite pubs in Dublin , SEB , The Long Hall , only had the 1 mind .

14/15 season Bristol City won the JPT and won the league. 15/16 Barnsley won the JPT and won the play-offs. 16/17?? Utd win JPT and finish bottom (just our luck)

As an aside, my first derby game was watching the Blades at Hillsborough in the sadly lamented Zenith Data Systems Cup. I think it must have been the biggest crowd the competition had outside Wembley. A good game, but sadly we ended up on the losing side 3-2. I think it went to extra time?

If we are 10 points clear of third place I will take an Interest In cup games next season.

If not then I don't give a shit. We have to prioritise promotion and bollocks to everything else.

The Johnstone's Paint Trophy is a good opportunity to give the youngsters a taste of meaningful football, notwithstanding the daft player restrictions. I'd take the same approach with the FA & FL cup whist we concentrate on getting out of this god forsaken league. Additionally, we have stated our future lies with the academy output, which at the moment seems to mean bench warming on match day.

As an aside, my first derby game was watching the Blades at Hillsborough in the sadly lamented Zenith Data Systems Cup. I think it must have been the biggest crowd the competition had outside Wembley. A good game, but sadly we ended up on the losing side 3-2. I think it went to extra time?
My first derby outside friendlies too. 89/90 promotion season I think.

As I remember it Ooh Ahh scored at our end with a few minutes to go to make it 2-2 (can't remember who scored our other goal), and then John Sheridan scored for them in extra time after dribbling more than half the pitch. Was a brilliant goal really but I remember all the United fans being being furious that no-one put a challenge in,

One of my other memories of that night is looking down at the Leppings lane terraces which were still left in their post Hillsborough state presumably with the inquiry still going on, and looking with shock at the bent crush barriers.

My first derby outside friendlies too. 89/90 promotion season I think.

As I remember it Ooh Ahh scored at our end with a few minutes to go to make it 2-2 (can't remember who scored our other goal), and then John Sheridan scored for them in extra time after dribbling more than half the pitch. Was a brilliant goal really but I remember all the United fans being being furious that no-one put a challenge in,

One of my other memories of that night is looking down at the Leppings lane terraces which were still left in their post Hillsborough state presumably with the inquiry still going on, and looking with shock at the bent crush barriers.
Yes, I remember the Sheridan goal a great goal just when I was thinking that it was our night. It was only a few months after the disaster and I remember how packed it was getting out of the ground. Maybe the disaster was playing on my mind, but it was the most crushed I have been at a football game.

Well at last somebody else promoting common sense. I despair at our pathetic fans who deem it not worthy of us even entering it never mind winning it! FFS Utd are SHIT at winning fucking any knock out competition. We are totally useless.. So taking an analytical approach start to win things that are less important (like the FLT) so when it is important i.e a play off final we FUCKING TURN UP for once. :rolleyes:

Birmingham, Bristol City, Wigan have all benefited from winning crap like this so c'mon and bloody win something for a change!

No it doesn't. It gives you a winning mentality. Something this cub has lacked in big games since the early 70's. I am really 'appy as CW would put it that we share the success of ruddy Barnet, Bury and Hartlepool on winning no trophies or a play off final since 19 fucking 25. How shit is that?

Additionally, we have stated our future lies with the academy output, which at the moment seems to mean bench warming on match day.

Play them whether they are good enough or not?...

They have every opportunity to excel at their own level. If they do, they get a chance. The responsibility is on them. It's not the X-Factor. A thousand "chances" wouldn't have made Ironside, McFadz, Khan, Dimiaow, De Juve, Chappell good enough. Poor players are simply poor young players, grown up.

There is not one of our young players who has demonstrated such ability and aptitude that they can have any complaint whatsoever about 'bench warming'.

The Johnstone's Paint Trophy is a good opportunity to give the youngsters a taste of meaningful football, notwithstanding the daft player restrictions. I'd take the same approach with the FA & FL cup whist we concentrate on getting out of this god forsaken league. Additionally, we have stated our future lies with the academy output, which at the moment seems to mean bench warming on match day.

Yes give the youngsters a taste of meaningful football especially if you couldn't care a toss about the competion , and want to get knocked out in the first round .

UTB

No it doesn't. It gives you a winning mentality. Something this cub has lacked in big games since the early 70's. I am really 'appy as CW would put it that we share the success of ruddy Barnet, Bury and Hartlepool on winning no trophies or a play off final since 19 fucking 25. How shit is that?

Check the records. The fact is winning the FLT and gaining promotion in the same season is a bit of a rarity. By all means say you'd like us to win it, but don't make the link between winning it and that making a team more likely to win promotion because it isn't the case. Personally, I'd rather get out of this division and statistically you more likely to achieve that by not winning the FLT.

Back
Top Bottom